31 Days, No weight loss, Possible to overeat?

Hello all.

I'm doing a whole100 (today is day 34).

I stupidly weighed myself after the first 31 days to get my stats (yes, I've thrown my scale away since). I was shocked to see that my weight was exactly the same as it was 30 days ago. I have Hashimoto's and underactive thyroid (which I am medicated for). My clothes are more loose, and I have bought one or two things in a smaller size. Most of the time I feel less bloated, but I just do not understand. I also walk 30 minutes several times week, so it's not like I'm not active at all. Can I be OVEReating?

I've kept my sugar intake extremely low. I didn't eat fruit at ALL for the first two and a half weeks. I slowly had some watermelon. That's it. No lara bars, no dates, no other fruit other than watermelon.

I really believe that I'm eating too much fat (ghee, mayo, avocado) and this is what held me up from losing any weight. I don't understand the THUMB measurement at all. Can I have a tablespoon or teaspoon reference instead?

Anyway, I know the purpose of whole30 is not to lose weight and to be healthy. Trust me, I get that, but I AM trying to lose weight in a healthy manner. My BMI is "overweight". So I DO need to lose weight. I thought whole100 would help me, and also help break my relationship with bad SAD type foods.

Any idea of what's happening here? Can I afford to cut back on fats/foods? Am I eating too many high in calorie veggies?

I eat basically the same thing (or very close to) most of the time.

Meal1: 3 eggs cooked in olive oil or coconut oil

1-2 cups of broccoli slaw sautéed in ghee

(sometimes I add another veggie, sometimes not.. usually roasted parsnips and carrots with ghee)

Meal2: Usually a plain burger, or an Aidell's sausage (or 2) with paleo Mayo

Avocado (whole one) OR brussel sprouts OR Zucchini with ghee / OR Green beans plain

Sweet potato (almost every day) with ghee

sometimes a handful of black olives

Meal3: either fish, or chicken (no more than 2 palms) usually pan fried in ghee/coconut oil/or olive oil

sweet potato/ OR Roasted Brussels / OR cabbage sautéed in ghee

sometimes a hardboiled egg or two/ OR black olives

SOMETIMES watermelon (not every day. usually only 5 pieces of so)

Thanks guys, please be gentle on me. I'm pretty bummed.

Ok, coming from a most gentle place, why are you concerned with whether the number on the scale moved, when you clearly lost inches and you've gone down in clothing size? 

I think I may have posted this article for you before, but please read it and look at the "before" and "after" photos again. 

Your eating looks fine.

What other non-scale victories have you noticed?  How do you feel (besides being frustrated with the number on the scale)?

BMI by itself is not enough to consider your optimal size and way of being for health: it only takes height into account - it does not consider body fat percentage.  It sounds like you've lost quite a bit of body fat.

What do you do to manage your stress?  How much water are you drinking lately?  How much sleep are you getting nightly?

I would keep on keepin on...

Hello all.

I'm doing a whole100 (today is day 34).

I stupidly weighed myself after the first 31 days to get my stats (yes, I've thrown my scale away since). I was shocked to see that my weight was exactly the same as it was 30 days ago. I have Hashimoto's and underactive thyroid (which I am medicated for). My clothes are more loose, and I have bought one or two things in a smaller size. Most of the time I feel less bloated, but I just do not understand.

Hi WholeMama!

Can you please do yourself a favour?  Read that first line again....and again.... and again.  Because I see massive success in there.  Massive.

How would you feel about taking some measurements (bust, waist, hip, arm, thigh) and using those to compare after your time is up? It sounds like you've already lost some inches if your clothes are feeling looser.

Also, like GFChris has said, BMI is inherently flawed as it only takes into account height and weight, and nothing to do with fat vs muscle. I'm less than a point away from being overweight on the BMI charts, but sitting very nicely in the "good" area for body fat percentage.

Try not to beat yourself up so much about not seeing the scale move. You've done a great job so far :)

I think your food looks good.  I'd add an additional protein with your eggs in the morning and limit fruit.  You said 5 pieces and that's alot of fruit sugar even if it is watermelon.  Why not cut all fruit for awhile and lean heavy on the veg.  I eat 9 cups of roasted vege aday with the addition of fresh greens which I don't measure in any way.  I use fruit as a condiment, tossed into the greens - on occasion. Do not cut back on good dietary fats.  That's where your satiety comes from.  You don't eat Trail Mix - nuts and dried fruits.  Kudos for that one.  No such thing as high calorie veggies. You could eat more of those.

Fruit in the evenings after supper.  Cut that and see what happens.  Walking 30 min aday...several times aweek.  Your body may have adapted to that and you're going to have to tinker with exercise.  Do you have a job that requires you to be sedentary for most of the day...computer work, etc?   Movement every day and throughout the day works better than 1/2 hour once a day.  You're going to have to kick it up a few notches to get the metabolism roaring.  

Find a steep hill and hike it twice aday.   Morning and night.  That'll teach that metabolism a thing or two.

Get out of breath and increase your endurance...day by day.   Then you'll have to switch it up and do additional things to keep your metabolism guessing.  It tries to sit on its' laurels and you'll have to keep showing it who's boss and in charge.   Don't take it sitting down!  Once it starts rolling down the tracks, lookout now - everything will fall into place for you. 

...My clothes are more loose, and I have bought one or two things in a smaller size....

This is all you need to know. Really. Your body composition has changed, which means you've traded fat for lean muscle - and that's a damned good trade!!

As Chris says, just keep on keeping on...

Ok, coming from a most gentle place, why are you concerned with whether the number on the scale moved, when you clearly lost inches and you've gone down in clothing size? 

I think I may have posted this article for you before, but please read it and look at the "before" and "after" photos again. 

Your eating looks fine.

What other non-scale victories have you noticed?  How do you feel (besides being frustrated with the number on the scale)?

BMI by itself is not enough to consider your optimal size and way of being for health: it only takes height into account - it does not consider body fat percentage.  It sounds like you've lost quite a bit of body fat.

What do you do to manage your stress?  How much water are you drinking lately?  How much sleep are you getting nightly?

I would keep on keepin on...

I've read everyone's responses. First, thank you!

Here's what doesn't' make ANY sense! I DID take my waist measurement. It didn't change either. Exactly the same. I am stumped by this because it's OBVIOUS that my pants are bigger. I've worn some pants/skirts I haven't been able to wear in YEARS! After I saw that my waist was the same, I didn't even take the rest of my measurements. I was too discouraged.

I feel pretty good. I had a friend comment that I seemed to have much more energy than she was used to seeing me have! I sleep awesome, my face has FINALLY just started to clear up (it broke out HORRIBLY for the first 3 weeks).  I make it a point to drink 8 cups of water at least during the day, however on the weekend, sometimes I don't. As far as stress? I have a decent bit at work, and I don't handle it the best, but I know If I can get back into running, i'll help. It's like therapy for me. Just finding the time with a small baby has been challenging.

This is all you need to know. Really. Your body composition has changed, which means you've traded fat for lean muscle - and that's a damned good trade!!

As Chris says, just keep on keeping on...

This is true. Thank you!

Oh. Wait. You have a small baby?????? And you are trying to lose weight????? Nononononononononononono. Don't do that to yourself, mama. Do not do that horrible thing to yourself. Do not even think about believing the stupid horrible cruel LIES women are told about what our bodies are supposed to do immediately after having babies. Nononononononooooooooo. You eat. You sleep whenever you can, though fragmented sleep is likely to be part of your life for some time. If you are nursing, you eat and eat and eat and eat and EAT. Your body is different now. That's good, and supermarket tabloids, women's health magazines, and anyone else who says you have to have a different kind of body is lying to you.

This is such a big deal. Please do not listen to the lies we are told about our bodies. Weight is your current relationship to gravity. BMI is a lie (just google this for clear information). Your body has changed because of having a baby. You get to be your actual real self. That includes eating food that truly nourishes you. Stress at work plus a small baby? Keep feeding yourself, mama. Feed yourself. You deserve to live the life you have, not the life women are told we're supposed to have. No one except girls with skinny genes who have not yet gone through puberty look or weigh what people think we should look like or weigh.

You're fantastic. Just how you are. Really. This is so important.

Oh. Wait. You have a small baby?????? And you are trying to lose weight????? Nononononononononononono. Don't do that to yourself, mama. Do not do that horrible thing to yourself. Do not even think about believing the stupid horrible cruel LIES women are told about what our bodies are supposed to do immediately after having babies. Nononononononooooooooo. You eat. You sleep whenever you can, though fragmented sleep is likely to be part of your life for some time. If you are nursing, you eat and eat and eat and eat and EAT. Your body is different now. That's good, and supermarket tabloids, women's health magazines, and anyone else who says you have to have a different kind of body is lying to you.

This is such a big deal. Please do not listen to the lies we are told about our bodies. Weight is your current relationship to gravity. BMI is a lie (just google this for clear information). Your body has changed because of having a baby. You get to be your actual real self. That includes eating food that truly nourishes you. Stress at work plus a small baby? Keep feeding yourself, mama. Feed yourself. You deserve to live the life you have, not the life women are told we're supposed to have. No one except girls with skinny genes who have not yet gone through puberty look or weigh what people think we should look like or weigh.

You're fantastic. Just how you are. Really. This is so important.

Okay, she's nearly ONE! LOL. I just meant that that was what kept me from getting back into running, and I'm not nursing.

Do you mean that I'm doing a whole100?

No - I actually meant the 4th line - I messed up - noticed it but computer kept on locking when I tried to edit.... grrr

I also wanted to add some things.  

BMI - well let's just say BMI sucks.  Did you know that LeBron James is supposedly obese according to his BMI?  So don't hold to much value to your BMI.  Really and truly.  I am considered obese according to my BMI.  Do I consider myself overweight - well yeah I do.  Obese?  Not so much.  I am tallish and kind of built like a viking girl (I am like a mix of my maternal grandmother and my paternal grandfather put together).  Not much I can do about it. 

Your meals look excellent actually....  Don't change anything.  

Be patient - this is a journey not a race.  You might find that things will change some more in the next 66 days - so stay tuned and try to shut that negative nelly that is in your brain off.

Here's what doesn't' make ANY sense! I DID take my waist measurement. It didn't change either. Exactly the same. I am stumped by this because it's OBVIOUS that my pants are bigger. I've worn some pants/skirts I haven't been able to wear in YEARS! After I saw that my waist was the same, I didn't even take the rest of my measurements. I was too discouraged.

I feel pretty good. I had a friend comment that I seemed to have much more energy than she was used to seeing me have! I sleep awesome, my face has FINALLY just started to clear up (it broke out HORRIBLY for the first 3 weeks).  I make it a point to drink 8 cups of water at least during the day, however on the weekend, sometimes I don't. As far as stress? I have a decent bit at work, and I don't handle it the best, but I know If I can get back into running, i'll help. It's like therapy for me. Just finding the time with a small baby has been challenging.

So while your waist size didn't change, it sounds like your hips, butt and/or thighs did.  Are you open to finding a way to be pleased with that outcome, along with the improved energy, sleep and skin issues?

8 cups of water might not be enough to keep you appropriately hydrated: aim for 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

you also have a health issue which may be slowing your progress.  keep at it, it will come.  I am on day 29 and I was hoping to have lost more weight as well.  But....it has been slow going.  Chin up.  keep going.  you will get there.

Okay, she's nearly ONE! LOL. I just meant that that was what kept me from getting back into running, and I'm not nursing.

OK but she's still a baby! You're still within one year of giving birth! I stand by what I said.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will also cut the fruit back out again for awhile and see if it helps. It's just that it's summer! and it is refreshing. Maybe some watermelon  once a week?

I see no need, in your case, for you to cut back on your fruit intake.  Especially when fruit is in season: enjoy it!

Please keep doing what you're doing on the food and don't restrict yourself.

• Administrators

I also stand by what AmyS says.  I stand beside it, behind it, in front of it and on top of it. Stop buying the lies, the idea that we all have to fit into this "ideal" mould in order to be relevant human beings.  Your pants are looser.  Who seriously CARES what a measuring tape or a scale says. You feel better?  GREAT!  You have more energy? AWESOME!  Unless you are measuring your body in order to make some piece of custom fitted clothing, stop it. Really.

Eat real food. Love your baby.  Enjoy your life. Put away the idea that you need to change in order to be successful.

PS. There are studies done that are now saying it takes well over a year to "recover" from child birth.  I daresay that you may never "recover" because there was never anything wrong with you.

Wow guys. Thank you so much for all the replies. You have made me feel incredibly better about myself. I did have a baby less than  year ago, so I do need to give myself some credit!

The only reason I bring up BMI is because we do a "biometric" screening at work every year and if we "pass" we get a substantial discount in health insurance! While I don't buy into all the BMI crap, my work does, and I need to bring it down so that I keep getting my discount. I guess it's aimed at keeping us healthier. Last year my freaking BMI was 30! They did a weight loss program for free but you could only join if your BMI was 30 or higher. That made me feel like total crap considering I was only 4 months post partum at the time. I did mention it, but no one wrote it down that I saw.

I will keep doing what I'm doing. It's hard but rewarding. All of my friends are blown away at my gumption to do this. I very nearly quit on day 31. I was SO SO upset to see I lost nothing, but I threw the scale in the dumpster, and forged on. This really helps too.

Thanks!!!!

So while your waist size didn't change, it sounds like your hips, butt and/or thighs did.  Are you open to finding a way to be pleased with that outcome, along with the improved energy, sleep and skin issues?

8 cups of water might not be enough to keep you appropriately hydrated: aim for 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Oh I am certainly happy about the positive things that have happened! I guess I just stupidly/naively believed that I would also lose weight and was shocked to see I didn't. I DO need to stop worrying about the numbers/measurements and go off how I feel!

The only reason I bring up BMI is because we do a "biometric" screening at work every year and if we "pass" we get a substantial discount in health insurance! While I don't buy into all the BMI crap, my work does, and I need to bring it down so that I keep getting my discount. I guess it's aimed at keeping us healthier. Last year my freaking BMI was 30! They did a weight loss program for free but you could only join if your BMI was 30 or higher. That made me feel like total crap considering I was only 4 months post partum at the time. I did mention it, but no one wrote it down that I saw.

Ugh ... one of the many things I dislike about BMI.

If you're so motivated, I would appeal your ability to get your discount. Get a doctor's note, or whatever you need to do to demonstrate your health has improved, and fight the system.  

While I applaud employers focused on improving employee wellness, we need many voices to the powers-that-be to get them to change their measurement of success.

I wish that would work, but they aren't going to change anything for one person. I will add, that I still got my discount last year, so it wasn't like they didn't give it to me because I had a high BMI. There is a point system for blood pressure, glucose, weight, cholesterol and measurements. You can "fail" one and still have an over all "pass"

So to sum up:

You have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. You had a baby in the last year. You work at a stressful job. Your job has determined that certain markers which they call measures of health, matter and will get you a ticket to discounted health insurance or weight loss classes. As part of that, during your fourth month post-partum (when your body is still regathering itself and when your Hashi's may need some special attention), they decided that you were on the cusp between getting a health insurance discount and getting recommended for weight loss training.

This, my darling, is not your problem. This is a problem of our society, our way of thinking about health, and your company's deciding that it's important to use inaccurate measures of health rather than to create a decent work environment. Beyond that, this is a problem of our society deciding that all women need to be white, young, tall, blonde, life-threateningly skinny, and let's not forget brainless.

You do not have a problem here. Eat up, and fight the power. Really.

So to sum up:

You have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. You had a baby in the last year. You work at a stressful job. Your job has determined that certain markers which they call measures of health, matter and will get you a ticket to discounted health insurance or weight loss classes. As part of that, during your fourth month post-partum (when your body is still regathering itself and when your Hashi's may need some special attention), they decided that you were on the cusp between getting a health insurance discount and getting recommended for weight loss training.

This, my darling, is not your problem. This is a problem of our society, our way of thinking about health, and your company's deciding that it's important to use inaccurate measures of health rather than to create a decent work environment. Beyond that, this is a problem of our society deciding that all women need to be white, young, tall, blonde, life-threateningly skinny, and let's not forget brainless.

You do not have a problem here. Eat up, and fight the power. Really.

Thanks so much! You do not have to participate in the screening, but almost every one does because who doesn't want cheaper health insurance? I've come to now depend on it. but yeah, four months post partum, this made me feel really horrible about myself. I gained 36 lbs in my pregnancy, 20ish was gone by the time I left the hospital. I've been stuck with these remaining lbs ever since. I did lose 11 lbs at the beginning of the year but I think that was the thyroid medicine kicking in.

You guys rock. Thanks for lifting me up today.

Hey Mama!

I have diabetes and hashi's decided to come along for the ride-- I have been doing this for a LOT longer than 30 days, and just in the last 6-8 months, I have dropped 50 pounds and have had my insulin dialed back. Those of us with these lovely autoimmune diseases take a bit longer to reach that golden spot. Keep at it-- listen to all that wonderful advice and revel in the fact that you have lost inches and you are getting healthier! I would do like Meadow suggests and find a hill, or tuck your little one into her stroller and strap a backpack on with some weight in it (I once had someone suggest like 20 pounds to me, but you do what is best for you!) and go for your walks. You WILL get there, you will, it will just take a bit more time.

Are you feeling better?  

Archived