Starting June 8th

HannahFH

I started the 8th too!!  I got thru day 1, not easy with cooking different meals for my self and my kids and my husband but I did it!!!!  How is everyone feeling on day two? I'm tired, i have a headache and im hungry.. but I'm excited for my new life!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How has day 1 been for everyone? So far so good here. My 14 month old loved the tomato sauce so much he finished his entire bowl and then begged for some of mine. I did get hungry between lunch and dinner so I grabbed an egg I had hard-boiled out of the fridge, but that stopped the hunger. Any other day I would have grabbed a bagel or bowl of cereal and been hungry again 15 minutes later. I usually get hungry again at night, but hoping some tea or water will do the trick. 

So tea and water didn't do the trick. At 9pm, I was feeling weak I was so hungry, so I grabbed another egg and some blueberries. It didn't really work, so I just went to bed hungry. Morning of Day 2 I felt dehydrated and had a slight headache, but as soon as I ate I felt better. I think I didn't make my portions big enough on Day 1. Today, I've had breakfast, a small snack of an egg and apple and lunch. So far so good. Increasing my portions has definitely helped. I am making the chicken, roasted potatoes and cabbage slaw tonight. I am thinking those potatoes will fill me up pretty well. 

Howdy!!!  I also started yesterday.  Looking to kick that sugar addiction and some other *crazy* chemical addictions I have.  

I find myself tossing random fruit in my tummy when I feel like I want something.  The thing that is getting me is the liquids.  I am a diet coke / monster / latte gal.  

**Any recommendations on what to drink?**

Looking forward to growing whole30 with you all!

Lisa 

The book has some good recipes for beverages. Do you have it? There's a lot of fruit juices mixed with sparkling water and a white tea "sangria". They sound good. I've heard coconut cream in coffee is also good, but I haven't tried it yet. 

Hi all!  I started the 8th but did not get my Whole30 Daily until today so today is day 1 officially.  Looking forward to the next 30 days will bring.  Gonna miss my Ben and Jerry's!!!!

Hi all!  I started the 8th but did not get my Whole30 Daily until today so today is day 1 officially.  Looking forward to the next 30 days will bring.  Gonna miss my Ben and Jerry's!!!!

As my kids sit eating Ben & Jerry's, I can say I feel your pain!! 

Hi all you June 8 starters. So glad we're in this together. I was so cranky yesterday. Also had serious hangover symptoms early in the day. Cravings and staying W30 compliant were not as difficult as I expected. I'm eating a lot of food so I'm definitely not hungry. In fact I didn't even want to eat dinner last night, just wanted to go to bed. (Ate it anyway). Hoping my husband will go away today cuz it's too much work to be kind when I feel like a beast.

I'm 100 lbs overweight right now. My top wt was 375 in 1999 when I had gastric bypass surgery. I maintained a 225lb weight loss for about eight years, but it was always a struggle. Been slowly putting on weight for the past 10 years. I've tried so many extreme diets and weight loss programs (medically supervised and not). I can lose weight, but I always gain it back eventually. I'm afraid I've caused irreparable damage to my body from extreme yo-yo dieting. Part of me believes this is just one more fad, but the more I read about what's going on chemically in my body and brain, the more hopeful I become. I've been preparing for W30 for months. I desperately want this to work.

Reading your messages really helps me, so thanks for posting. Reading the books and website is keeping me focused on my goals (vitality, healthy body weight, freedom from food obsession, relief from insomnia and joint pain, clear thinking). I have 2 friends who are long term W30. I check in by text with each of them daily. They are my cheerleaders. They love me and want me to be healthy. If there were W30 support group mtgs, I'd go to 2 a day!!

Here's to Day 3. We can do this!

This diet has been tough for me, but I'm plugging along.  I ate meal 1 at about 8:30am this morning- had 4 hard boiled eggs, a whole avacado and sliced tomatoes with 4 large strawberries.  Black earl grey tea and plenty of water.  By 11am- I was very hungry.  I'm used to grazing- albeit on "healthy" foods, such as cheese, apples, peanuts, and other fruits throughout the day- I never used to eat a big lunch, so this is tough.  I also have a severe tree nut allergy- but am ok with peanuts- so I think I'm going through serious sugar, coffee, cheese and peanut buttter withdrawal today.  I keep trying to think the one day at a time, one meal at a time mentality- but scooping out my son's Ben and Jerry's ice cream last night nearly killed me.  Glad to have some support on this forum. 

Day 4. I don't want to kill all things like the book says could happen, but I woke up feeling knocked out. I drank a ton of water yesterday but still felt dehydrated this morning. I also woke up about 4-5 times last night which I NEVER do. Once I ate breakfast, I was fine. Time to go chop again. At least the food is delicious. 

• Administrators

Looking to kick that sugar addiction

I find myself tossing random fruit in my tummy when I feel like I want something.  

Hey,

If you are looking to get away from sugar and the dragon that demands it all the time, using fruit every time you need "something" is the exact wrong thing to do.

When your body demands sugar (which can manifest as an odd, vague need for "something") and you give it fruit, it just got exactly what it wanted and is alive and well.

If you are hungry (like, you could eat something bland like steamed fish & broccoli), have a mini meal containing at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.  if you aren't hungry then you need to do something else, distract yourself, go for a walk, sing a song, sweep the kitchen, whatever.

Hi. I am Danelle and this is day 4 for me. So far i had work supper to say goodbye to a colleague, coffee break cake (my boss kindly brought strawberries for me so i wouldnt feel isolated) and now a food truck lunch (which i didn't participate in). Does this get any easier?

Hello everyone! So, I am on 6 and boy do I have to vent....

So day 2-3 was not a huge deal. I didn't have to many noticeable side effects....but by the end of the day on Day 3 my life spun out of control. My little one came home from daycare with a fever, one that I thought he had shaken the previous week. LONG story short, his fever and illness began to worsen so I was in stress overload. A trip to the doctor for him helped a little, so I was able to relax. But by day 5, around 3pm....I felt like I hit  brick wall. All the symptoms that the book says you *may experience around days 2-4 occurred full fledge at once on day 5. (head ache, fogginess, carb "flu.") Coupled with the symptoms one might begin to experience around days 6-7; for me it was/is extreme fatigue. Once I got home from work, I actually took my temp and realized I was running a slight fever, so maybe my symptoms were more than cold/flu related?  I was beginning to get whatever he has....or at least I might be. I began to panic because if I was getting sick....I was scared of what my diet usually is when I'm sick. I normally want chicken noodle soup and sandwiches etc. Most of that is not Whole30 approved, so I was freaking out. Then, we ended up having to take our son to ER where he was diagnosed with pneumonia :( :( :( I controlled my own cold/flu like symptoms with excedrin, then I took cold medicine at night to sleep. I have managed to keep to Whole 30 foods thus far....but I'm telling you, I would give my left arm for a block of Tilamook sharp cheddar cheese. This morning, my sons appetite is slowly returning...made him a pb with honey....and I was crazy envious. I could scarf down like 12 of them. 

HELP! I am normally a stress eater.  A HUGE stress eater...this stress the past few days has been hard. But by the grace of God, I have managed to not bindge on s'mores oreos. I've realized one thing though....I have little control of the situation my son is in. So because I'm feeling helpless, I want to control what I can, and that is my food. My cold or flu symptoms have subsided for now, so no more meds for me. But I'm wondering if I should continue this plan or stop for now. I feel like I can still keep going because my son sickness is under control due to his meds. But I'm just nervous I'm going to crack and eat carbs. and a lot of them. 

Any words of advice is much appreciated. 

• Moderators

But I'm wondering if I should continue this plan or stop for now. I feel like I can still keep going because my son sickness is under control due to his meds. But I'm just nervous I'm going to crack and eat carbs. and a lot of them. 

Any words of advice is much appreciated. 

You have a lot going on, and I understand being a stress eater and wanting to go with what's comfortable -- but where has that ever gotten you in the past?

Instead, look at this Whole30 as a way to get yourself as healthy as possible, so that when these stressful things happen -- and they will, they always do at some point -- you can deal with them in the best possible way.

You talk about eating carbs. The thing is, Whole30 is not necessarily a low-carb way of eating, we just change where your carbs come from. If you're not already, at least one meal every day ought to include a fist-sized serving of a starchy vegetable, like potato, sweet potato, root vegetables (turnip, rutabaga, carrot, beets), winter squashes (like acorn, butternut, kabocha, or spaghetti squash), or plantains or jicama.

When you eat, be sure you follow the meal template, and definitely be sure you don't skimp on the fat. Including fat in your meals, in addition to protein and vegetables, will help keep you satisfied longer between meals, and being satisfied between meals can really help conquer cravings and binging. You may still experience cravings or a desire to binge, but as you get used to eating plenty of nutrient dense foods, those things really are easier to deal with for most people.

How's everyone doing on Day 6? I got through 4 and 5 without wanting to kill anyone. I was actually pretty happy and peppy yesterday. I am a little tired today, but not nearly as fatigued as the timeline suggests we could be on Day 6. Keep on going! 

This diet has been tough for me, but I'm plugging along.  I ate meal 1 at about 8:30am this morning- had 4 hard boiled eggs, a whole avacado and sliced tomatoes with 4 large strawberries.  Black earl grey tea and plenty of water.  By 11am- I was very hungry.  

Try increasing your veggies to closer to 2-3 cups per meal and see if that helps keep you satiated longer.  Play with your portions until your meals keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.

Day 9. We're making it! So far I haven't struggled too much. I did dream of muffins last night (funny, since I rarely eat them). I am already beginning to feel a little better. My rosacea is slightly improved, and I don't feel like I need a nap in the afternoon. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good. I still have to catch my breath at times, but I am wondering if it is this FL humidity that I am not used to (only moved here a year ago). I managed to spread out the week 1 meal plan from the book with leftovers, but need to get to meal planning for the rest of the month very soon. The fridge is starting to look empty again. Now, off to wash my dishes from making lunch. Yay. I do hate doing dishes. 

Hi All, I am on day 11 and doing good. I'm sleeping like a baby, although I am finding I want more sleep in the morning. I need to get to bed earlier but there's always something that needs to be done before bed.  I'm also a bit bored with food, but I have found that because I'm eating less junk, I am craving less. So that's a plus :) I'm going to branch out beyond the regular veggies this coming week, anybody have any recommendations? I've been sticking to broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, and asparagus mostly because these are veggies I'm accustomed to more or less. I'm scared to try new ones, but its time.

Anyhow, hope everyone is doing well! We're almost half way through! Hope everyone is noticing some benefits and is encouraged to keep going!

Please pass along your fave and yummy veggie dishes. I'm eager to try.

Cheers!

Day 13! I am finally starting to see some results in addition to added energy. My rosacea is somewhat clearer, and I'm on 1 1/2 days of not having to catch my breath throughout the day. I desperately need to make my next meal plan and go to the store. Getting down to the bare bones for veggies. 

Hi All, I am on day 11 and doing good. I'm sleeping like a baby, although I am finding I want more sleep in the morning. I need to get to bed earlier but there's always something that needs to be done before bed.  I'm also a bit bored with food, but I have found that because I'm eating less junk, I am craving less. So that's a plus :) I'm going to branch out beyond the regular veggies this coming week, anybody have any recommendations? I've been sticking to broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, and asparagus mostly because these are veggies I'm accustomed to more or less. I'm scared to try new ones, but its time.

Anyhow, hope everyone is doing well! We're almost half way through! Hope everyone is noticing some benefits and is encouraged to keep going!

Cheers!

Glad to hear things are going well! Do you have the Whole 30 book? There are great veggie recipes in it. I made a slaw, butternut squash soup, roasted spaghetti squash and some roasted potatoes. There are some good butternut squash and brussell sprout recipes in there as well as different salad ideas. 

• Moderators

Hi All, I am on day 11 and doing good. I'm sleeping like a baby, although I am finding I want more sleep in the morning. I need to get to bed earlier but there's always something that needs to be done before bed. I'm also a bit bored with food, but I have found that because I'm eating less junk, I am craving less. So that's a plus :) I'm going to branch out beyond the regular veggies this coming week, anybody have any recommendations? I've been sticking to broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, and asparagus mostly because these are veggies I'm accustomed to more or less. I'm scared to try new ones, but its time.

Please pass along your fave and yummy veggie dishes. I'm eager to try.

Cheers!

The Clothes Make The Girl has lots of great recipes, most of them whole30 compliant. I just made a batch of her Belly Dance Beet Salad which is my favorite way to have beets. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/05/27/belly-dance-beet-salad/

Here's a link to all her vegetable recipes, I'm sure you'll find some that sound good to you: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/category/recipes/veggies/

And she has her salads in a separate section: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/category/recipes/salads/

Cheers!

Zucchini!! It's my favorite versatile veggie. I saute it with onions & garlic. Grill it with a bit of olive oil. Stuff it with pork & tomatoes. Eggplant too. Good luck! You'll probably find that you like more veggies now that you've cleansed your palate from all of the junk. 

Day 15. I have a terrible cold. I am still sticking with the program and not heading straight for the chicken noodle soup and honey in my tea, but I really want to curl up on the couch with crackers, noodles and a blanket. 

Try bland comfort foods like compliant chicken soup, mashed potato, scrambled eggs, and bone broth if you've access to it - hope you're feeling better soon...

Archived