How much fruit is too much fruit...

I wasn't really sure where to put this, so here it is.

I'm on day three of my first whole30. I'm ideologically excited and practically having some trouble. I had some dietary restrictions before beginning (mostly just no gluten, but also limited processed sugar). So giving up the grains was no issue. My main concern at this point is, coming into this I was already eating a lot of fruit. I can easily sit down and eat half a box of strawberries no issue. Watermelon disappears, etc. I even infuse my water with fruit. Previously, I saw no issue with this because hey, fruit is healthy right? But since starting whole30 I recognize that even though I don't eat a lot of "bad" processed sugar, I still consume a lot of sugar via fruit. So I have to ask, what is an appropriate intake of fruit? When I want to eat fruit in excess, what should I eat instead?

My other problem is I don't like very many foods. I'm the kind of person who has no issue eating the same thing every day. But that basically means I eat the same 2-3 meals that I like basically all the time. I don't know if that's bad or not. I like broccoli a lot so that's the main vegetable I eat. And I like chicken. So usually my meals consist of grilled chicken, roasted broccoli, and 1/2 of an avocado. Maybe if I ate something else it would help me stop wanting to eat so much fruit? I did make some hamburger sliders on roasted sweet potato slices with avocado tonight (with carrots and grilled pineapple on the side) so that's a new meal I liked.

But the main question is: how much fruit is too much fruit, and what will help the craving when I've already had too much.

• Administrators

Do try to branch out a bit on your meals, maybe consider trying one new recipe a week?

The fruit recommendation is 1-2 pieces per day, only with meals, never alone. Fruit is optional though and if you have a serious sugar dragon you could probably consider limiting it if you find yourself set off by it.

Fruit is healthy, but in Whole30Land we recognize that veggies have more nutritional power than fruit, so we ask that you eat more of them. If you are feeling like you are craving, how about trying some starchy veggies as part of your meals? Sweet or white potatoes, squash, carrots, beets, for instance. Try a few starchy veggies and see what you like, and add them to one or two meals per day. You may be surprised at how they give sustained energy like fruit, but with less of a tendency to bring in the sugar highs/lows.

Ok, thanks guys! I found a few compliant recipes on pinterest I'm going to try tomorrow. And I'm going to try to limit myself to just adding fruit to 1 meal [probably breakfast because grapefruit exists.]  I'm still going to infuse my water though because that's really the only way I can handle drinking the amount of water i should drink in a day. 

New vegetables, here I come. xD

I found a few compliant recipes on pinterest I'm going to try tomorrow. 

Pinterest is a blessing and a curse lol. Make sure you double check compliance because a lot of people tag things whole30 which either straight out do not comply or sometimes don't fit the spirit of the program. No smoothies or pancakes in there, right?

Archived