Back for another round...

JimS

Well, I'm back for another round of Whole 30 goodness. I did nearly two complete Whole30s (finished the second try) in April and May. My logs are buried in here somewhere... I'll have to go back and review them.

I've been doing pretty well overall, but I've been slowly slipping back into my snacking habits. I have a tendency to munch and snack too often, which can be a slippery slope leading to mindless eating habits that steer me towards less healthy and ultimately less satisfying options. I don't really go off the rails with processed junk foods, but I skirt the edges with paleo treats which can lead me astray just the same.

Time to reset for the next 18 days leading up to my wife's birthday... so I guess this is a Whole18 or Whole Dozen + Six! :)

Goals:

• Get back on track with my daily meal and snack choices.
  • Make conscious decisions to eat foods that are nutritious and satisfying.
  • When I'm hungry, eat... but don't eat on auto-pilot.
  • Add some structure to my workout programming without going overboard. My workouts have been very ad hoc, which works for me on a lot of levels, but there's a fine line between success and spinning my wheels without an element of periodization and structure.
    • squat and/or deadlift 3x / week
    • sprint session 1x / week
    • continue with my ad hoc bodyweight training

Measure:

• Log my food choices and workouts here, good or bad.

Breakfast - four eggs, a red pepper, some garlic, mushrooms and leftover pulled chuck roast sauteed in coconut oil, two large cups of black coffee

Lunch - 6 oz wild salmon mixed with an avocado, baby carrots, red pepper, celery sticks, water

Dinner - way late at 9:45 PM. Loooong day at work. A big salad with balsamic vinaigrette and sliced baked chicken breast, water

Activity - None to speak of... ugh! But, ISWF!!! Today was a decent first day back to W30 eating.

Great to have you back jim, did you ever post the pics of your garden project?

Hey Derval, thanks for checking in!

I think I posted work in progress pictures of the backyard playground I built for my kids, but I don't think I ever posted any finished product pictures or the pullup bar I put next to the kids' play structure. :) I'll have to post something...

Well, Day 1 was a busy day at work, and a reasonably successful one for food. I was probably a little light overall on the food intake, but I wasn't too active so I didn't feel deprived or hungry.

Bring on Day 2!

Breakfast - garlic, onion, red pepper, mushrooms, kale, and smoked chuck roast sauteed in bacon fat, coffee

Lunch - leftovers from breakfast, big salad, five plums, water

Dinner - meatballs and marinara sauce, fresh cherry tomatoes, water

Snack - a small chicken breast and an egg, spinach and bacon cupcake, water

Activity - 50 pullups / 100 pushups for time (10:15), 20 20s on / 40s off sprint intervals

Day 3

Breakfast - garlic, onion, red pepper, carrots, spinach, kale, eggs and smoked chuck roast scrambled in beef tallow, an egg and bacon muffin, coffee

Lunch - leftover scramble from breakfast, a romaine heart, water

Dinner - meatballs and chicken breast in marinara sauce, strawberries, two tbsp almond butter

Snack - leftover pulled beef, 1 cup frozen blueberries with coconut butter drizzled on top

Activity - A quick bodyweight circuit; two rounds of 12 Cossack squats, pullups, dips, windshield wipers, pushups

Today was a decent day for food overall, but I could have eaten a few more veggies and skipped the coconut butter and almond butter. Those are my kryptonite. I got a short workout circuit in, but I didn't have time to get my intended workout. I guess it was an active rest day if anything.

Day 4

Breakfast - four egg and bacon muffins, baby carrots, half a yam, coffee

Lunch - pulled beef roast, tomatoes, 2 tbsp almond butter, water

Dinner - chopped chicken breast in marinara sauce, sliced red pepper and celery sticks, water

Snack - a cup of frozen blueberries with almond butter and coconut butter, apple

Activity - pullup / dip supersets, body row / pike pushup supersets, 5x5 squats, 2x5 deadlifts, some burpee pullups

I had a late dinner... after I was already pretty hungry and I overdid it a bit with the almond and coconut butters. Oh well, I got a decent workout at least.

Day 5

Breakfast - six eggs and some bacon, a few strawberries and raspberries, coffee

Lunch - canned salmon and avocado with some shredded jicama, water

Dinner - shrimp, some antipasto, water and a beer, ice cream for dessert

Snack - banana and blueberries with some almond butter and coconut butter

Well, my Whole18 idea turned into a Whole4 + Whole13 with a faceplant in the middle. I had forgotten about a pre-planned trip to see Kevin Nealon at a local comedy club. It was a great show and we laughed our asses off, but the club had a per-person food and drink minimum. I did my best with the food choices (still not 100% compliant), but blew up the Whole18 by ordering a beer to fulfill the drink requirement. At that point I threw in the towel on the day and we had some great ice cream at a local shop. Good times... but not so good discipline with regards to my Whole18 plan.

I'll be back in the saddle Sunday!!

Day 1 (Again!!!)

Breakfast - four eggs on a bed of sauteed garlic, onion, kale and sweet potato chunks, coffee

Snack - Some pear-apples and plums while I picked them off our trees

Dinner - steak, turnip and cauliflower mash, salad, water

Activity - cleaned the gutters and de-mossed the roof, picked plums and pear-apples until the trees were bare, squats 5x5, pullups, weighted pullups, diamond pushups, ring supports, skin the cats, hollow holds and supermans

I've had a pretty good day overall. I ate in plan, though ended up skipping lunch. I was too busy outside and wasn't really hungry. I got in a good workout and relaxed some with my wife and kids. A good day! :)

For those who remember me building the backyard playground for my kids during my last Whole30, here's the finished product after a couple months use. I took the picture from the roof while I was cleaning the gutters... it was hard to get everything in frame from below. :) I added a pullup bar in the corner. It's great... tall enough for me to do pullup burpees or hang my rings from while the weather's nice.

post-268-0-72779800-1347240772_thumb.jpg

Oh well, at least it was a throughly enjoyed derailment!

Yeah, it was great! At least I had a good time. No guilt involved... just need to stay the course. I'll probably keep at it after my wife's birthday on the 22nd. I may squeeze a full Whole30 in between then and my son Ryan's birthday on October 31st.

For those who remember me building the backyard playground for my kids during my last Whole30, here's the finished product after a couple months use. I took the picture from the roof while I was cleaning the gutters... it was hard to get everything in frame from below. :) I added a pullup bar in the corner. It's great... tall enough for me to do pullup burpees or hang my rings from while the weather's nice.

post-268-0-72779800-1347240772_thumb.jpg

Lily (6) just said "Cooooool...I want that!"

Day 2

Breakfast - six eggs scrambled in beef tallow, a few cherry tomatoes, coffee

Lunch - salmon and avocado, leftover steak, a red pepper, baby carrots, some cherry tomatoes, water

Dinner - beef stew, sweet potato rounds, salad, apple puree with cinnamon, water

Snack - a few raspberries and strawberries

Activity - some v-ups, planks, reverse planks, bodyweight rows, some l-sit work, a short 4k walk

Day 3

Breakfast - garlic, onion, baby bok choy, spinach, 1/2 of a yam, and six eggs scrambled in beef tallow, a few spears of jicama in lime and lemon juice, coffee

Lunch - salmon and avocado, 1/2 of a yam, jicama spears, a red pepper, baby carrots, water

Dinner - bbq'd chicken thighs, roasted broccoli, salad, water

Snack - frozen blueberries and coconut butter and almond butter

Activity - 4k walk, 5x5 squats, 2x5 deadlifts, pike pushup / weighted pullup supersets, bodyweight row / resistance band pushup supersets

Day 4

Breakfast - seven scrambled eggs on a bed of sauteed tomato slices, spinach, garlic and onion, coffee

Lunch - leftover beef stew, celery stalks, cherry tomatoes, water

Snack - salmon and avocado, a handful of strawberries, water

Dinner - steak, roasted broccoli and Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, water

Snack - two tbsp of almond butter, water

Activity - some random pushup and pullup sets, 4k walk

Day 5

I did not sleep well last night (5.5 hrs total), and it seems that I'm paying for it most obviously in reduced appetite control. I had a big breakfast and I'm still hungry / craving stuff... though I know I had plenty to eat.

Breakfast - leftover steak and veggies sauteed in coconut oil, coffee

Lunch - grilled salmon and salad, some leftover steak, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, water

Lunch #2 - leftover steak, salad, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, water

I've been a garbage disposal today with food... but at least it's all good stuff. There's nothing wrong with meat, veggies, coffee and water... but my breakfast was huge, first lunch was huge, second lunch was good size. I'm scared to see what I demolish for dinner. But, I'm not hungry at the moment (said as I polish off the big salad from lunch #2).

Dinner - roast beef and veggies, salad, water

Snack!! - a banana with 2 tbsp almond butter

Activity - Nothing... ugh. Tomorrow is another day.

Day 6

Breakfast - sauteed veggies, roast beef and five scrambled eggs, coffee

Lunch - leftover steak, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, water

Snack - a banana with a couple tbsp of almond butter and coconut butter

Dinner - chicken breast, cooked carrots, an apple, water

Well, I haven't logged in a week. I've been busy, but mostly just lazy. It doesn't take much time to pop in and log food choices... This past week I was W30-compliant except for one event. My 20 year high school reunion was last Saturday. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy a few choice brews with old friends I hadn't seen forever.

I'm feeling good, workouts have been better. I've only had one sprint session, but I've been squatting and deadlifting as much as I prescribed. Win!! Food has been good... but I'm off W30 for the time being. Today's my wife's b-day and we're going to a great restaurant for dinner. I'm probably going to sneak in a full Whole30 between now and my son's birthday on Halloween. It will be a good way to completely reset heading into the holiday season!!

Archived