Day 31: Success! But...

ajamaraz54

Okay so this is day 31,and I've lost eleven pounds. Incredible, and I'm so happy about it, but at the same time, my big reason for joining were all the NSV others have experienced. My skin may be a little clearer but my energy is NOT better. My daily meals can be seen in my daily log, so I don't want to repost them here, but I was following the template religiously, I never snacked, barely ate nuts, and I always felt full and sated. I work out five times a week and eat with that in mind. I'm happy to finally lose some weight, but I'd be even happier if I didn't feel like I needed a nap as soon as I woke up. Advice going forward?

• Moderators

I scanned through your log and noted several points. You say that you have had weirdly disordered sleep since childhood and that you have required drugs to sleep well. I am not clear if you have been using medication or over the counter sleep aids like melatonin on a regular basis. Sleep meds alter how things go in your body and may be part of the overall energy problem. And if you have had a multi-year problem, it may be longer before good habits lead to more resolution.

Your reports of sleep ranged from good nights to awful nights, from 6 hours to 8 hours. You said something about wanting to get your sleep hygiene practices to a good place. I am not clear if you managed to get your sleep habits to a good place.

You mentioned being 100 pounds overweight and having a history of calorie restriction dieting. This suggests that your hormones have been a mess and it may take longer than 30 days to get things fully sorted out.

One thought I had was about your use of probiotics. I did not notice consumption of fermented foods in your food log (although I might have missed it). You might want to add live culture sauerkraut, kimchi, etc. I eat sauerkraut every day, but have recently added an additional probiotic supplement and am noticing some benefit. You might want to add a probiotic supplement. As your gut bacteria gets sorted out, you may experience a variety of positive improvements. 

http://whole9life.com/2012/04/probiotics-101/

Guest Andria

All excellent points made by Tom.  

I want to add that you mention you workout 5 days per week and eat accordingly.  I looked through your log and only saw one day that you listed any pre or post workout meals.  Depending on the timing of your workout, you may not need a pre- workout meal(and I did see that a pre wo meal did not sit well with you), but you always want to include a post workout meal of lean protein and possibly a starchy carb.  By eating only 3 meals per day, you really are not supporting a 5 day/week workout schedule if it is of any intensity greater than walking.  Not fueling yourself appropriately will certainly impact your energy levels.

Considering your long standing issues with insomnia, have you consulted your doctor about a sleep study?  Also, it sounds like it is time to find a doctor that will treat your thyroid disorder!  

Thanks, Tom. I was taking a probiotic, I've added Kombucha to supplement.  My insomnia requires treatment with a low dose of an anticonvulsant. The anticonvulsant raises progesterone levels, which means yes, my hormones are out of whack.  I'm continuing on doing mostly Whole30 for the foreseeable future, alternating with Paleo/Primal.   Sleep hygiene is harder.  I'm trying to be in bed every night at 10:30 so I'm asleep by 11:00 at the latest, but depending on how long dinner prep, nighttime chores take I might not be in bed before 11:00.

Also thank you, Andria, for the support.  I always tried to eat a post workout meal or increase the size of my M3, which usually falls immediately after my workout, I just didn't put it in the log because I hadn't eaten it yet. :) But you are absolutely right, I need to convince a doctor to treat the Hashi's.

Okay, just realized pics didn't upload on the first post.  Here they are:

post-68451-0-24163800-1433448841_thumb.j

post-68451-0-13820100-1433448909_thumb.j

Also, I want to be clear... I am thrilled with the results and I will happily continue staying mostly Whole30.  My concern about my energy levels aside, I am really happy with how my Whole30 turned out. I just wish that my energy levels had improved and I really wish my eczema and KP had gotten better. I feel like I really nailed the Whole30 in terms of compliance, so that just means I have underlying issues I need to address, and probably more time to heal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived