So, when can I have Fruit or a Lara Bar?

JessicaR77

I'm struggling with when it's OK to have fruit.  On day 4 and have been managing just fine (even though husband brought donuts into the house, I've resisted), but I feel like I keep reading fruit is bad because I only want it for the "sweet".  Or even though they are approved, Lara Bars are "bad" for the same reason.  Like I just had half a Lara Bar because I was hungry and it's not quite lunch time yet, but then I read my Whole Daily today which says I basically just gave into my brain and let it have a Snickers bar.  Well no dangit, I would have had the Snickers bar then. :huh:

If it's not OK, why isn't fruit or fruit and nut bars disallowed?  Or why isn't disallowed until Day 15 or something?

I'm trying not to overthink, but felt like I was doing well until I read that having these "sweet" things is a no no.  I can tell you I didn't get to the unhealthy point of where I'm at by eating too much fruit.  I also don't think I can do this without fruit... I genuinley like it and don't see that it is unhealthy to have.  I had some berries with my breakfast this morning, had an apple with homemade almond butter for breakfast one day when eggs just didn't seem appealing, and had a slice of watermelon after lunch yesterday because it's hot out and well... I wanted it and thought I could have it without going off kilter.  

So when is it OK to enjoy fruit without feeling like I'm failing?

Also it's Day 4, so if I sound whiny and tempermental about this you all know why right? :rolleyes:   Put me in my place on this, but help.  Thank you much. 

It's fine to have fruit, any time you please, so long as it's with or as part of a meal and not on it's own as a snack. And so long as it's limited to 1-2 servings per day. So going by what you've said you're fine fruit-wise.

Larabars on the other hand really are as close as you can get to candy on a whole30 and should be kept for emergencies only. Like *proper* emergencies. Like stuck in the traffic on the highway with not a store in sight for 10 miles either direction emergencies.

If you're craving something sweet try upping your intake of starchy veg (sweet potatoes, beets, squash, etc) for a few days to help with the transition...

• Administrators

I love your last line there.  Haha.

So fruit is not banned.  And it's not bad.  Our recommendation is 1-2 servings per day (fist sized or equivilant) but only with a main meal.  And we ask that you not let fruit push veggies off your plate.

A lot of the success and "magic" that people find with this program comes from rebalancing your hormones and blood sugar.  The way to do that is to follow the meal template at each meal (protein, veggies and fat) and not snack.  This allows your body to reset back to "factory". Eating just fruit can spike your blood sugar and cause cravings and false hunger later in the day.  This is especially true if you are waking up after an overnight fast and putting only fruit in first thing as was the case when you ate an apple and almond butter for breakfast.  

Larabars are not banned although an awful lot of us believe that they should be.  They are approved ONLY for emergencies.  Like being stuck behind a derailed train for 4 hours or going for a 2 hour hike in the woods that turns into 6 hours.  They are basically like a candy bar on Whole30 and are not a reasonable choice in any scenario other than above.  Your brain and physiology cannot tell the difference between the date/nut bomb you just ate and the snickers bar.  Your body reacts to both the same and that sort of fast fuel-blood sugar spike reaction is one we are trying to train away from during the Whole30.

If you want to enjoy fruit (especially in the summer, can't say I blame you!), have it after your template meal.  And if you find yourself turning to it every time you "need something" to finish off your meal, reconsider that as your brain trying to get you to have dessert.

• Moderators

It's okay to have fruit. Fruit is a healthy thing to eat, and it tastes good. However, vegetables are even healthier, which is why the meal template says to fill the plate with veggies, but limit fruit.

Have your fruit with a meal, whether that means berries mixed into a salad or an apple with almond butter alongside your protein and vegetables. Having it alone can cause a spike in blood sugar and a subsequent crash, which could leave you moody, irritable, tired, and hungry.

Larabars are a little different than fresh fruit. They tend to be even sweeter than a piece of fruit, and many people find they cause cravings for more sweets. If you check out the Can I Have list, you'll find they're meant to be for emergency use only, not something you have regularly. They really are more like eating a candy bar than an apple.

Bottom line though is that one of the points of a whole30 is to learn how foods affect you and how to eat so that you feel the best you possibly can. As long as you pay attention to how you feel and are honest with yourself about your reactions to different foods, you haven't failed. If you eat just fruit by itself for a meal, how do you feel afterwards? Are you hungry faster than usual? Do you feel tired the rest of the day, or do you find yourself more easily annoyed? I know that once I got used to having a substantial breakfast of protein, fat, and vegetables, I find that if I just have some fruit, I'm hungry again within a very short time, which for me leads to snacking all morning until lunch.

What is a true Larabar emergency?

Having a stash ready in your desk for a mid-morning, noon, or afternoon break?   Nope.

Having one while you're waiting for the traffic light with grocery stores all around you?   Nope.

Having one while you're watching the Voice?   Nope.

Having one because you want some lil somethin',  a dessert?   Nope.

Having one while out on the Appalachian Trail?   Maybe.   Maybe. 

Throwing one to a Grizzly Bear while you're up in a tree?   Maybe.

Keeping them under your bed for a midnight snack.   Never.

Handing them out to the kids at the 4th of July Parade.   Sure.

Watching your family eat them rather than you.   Absolutely. 

• Moderators

Aside from people using fruit to satisfy sugar cravings and keeping them strong, fruit offers less nutrition than vegetables. In fact, not one variety of fruit measures up to the nutritional value of veggies generally. Veggies supply everything your body needs in much more abundance than fruit. However, because fruit is often sweet and really convenient to eat raw, lots of people let fruit push veggies out of their diet. That is a problem. The Whole30 response is to say you can enjoy fruit, but limit it to 1 or 2 fist-size servings per day. In addition, we advise to never eat fruit as a snack, but to incorporate it into a meal. This practice leads to better eating habits and keeps the sweetness of fruit from having as much impact on blood sugar levels. However, you can't go wrong not eating fruit. Just be sure to eat your veggies.

You should never eat a larabar. They are never appropriate. If you need emergency food, try an Epic bar or a Wild Zora bar... http://whole30.com/2015/06/future/

Thanks very much to you both - I hadn't thought about the blood sugar spikes from fruit causing issues later in the day, maybe because I'm not far enough into my 30 days yet to recognize that issue from just my first few sugar withdrawl days.  If I'm being honest with myself the apple and almond butter for breakfast was probably just a way of having a bagel and cream cheese to my brain, which was my go to many days. 

Got it, Lara Bar for emergencies only, which is not constituted of "I can't go another minute without something sweet".  Actually I may have to ban these from my 30 days totally and have something else on hand in case of emergency.  I'll do a search on the forums for some good options.

And got it, fruit with meals is OK, just not as a "Dessert".  Thank you this helps me not feel as bad or like I've failed the past few days. 

Onward.  :)

And got it, fruit with meals is OK, just not as a "Dessert".  Thank you this helps me not feel as bad or like I've failed the past few days. 

Onward.  :)

Yeah, and on the topic of whether you've gone off track in following the Whole30, keep in mind Whole30 rules vs. recommendations. You might find this article helpful. 

Jessica,  I really can't think of one true Larabar emergency.   Whole 30 approved compliant jerky would be better than any Larabar.   Protein and fat smother sugar cravings.  With each passing day it will get easier and the further away you are from nut butters and dried fruits...looking at them in your rearview mirror, the better off you'll be.

Yeah, and on the topic of whether you've gone off track in following the Whole30, keep in mind Whole30 rules vs. recommendations. You might find this article helpful. 

Thank you this was helpful too.  Since the program change today I know Lara Bars are definitely out, but this helps me not feel as guilty about fruit in general. 

Thank you this was helpful too.  Since the program change today I know Lara Bars are definitely out, but this helps me not feel as guilty about fruit in general. 

You're welcome.  :)

As more fruit is seasonal for folks experiencing summer soon, note that it's ok to enjoy more fruit options (beyond the 1-2 daily servings). Just don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate, and be wary of using fruit to feed the sugar dragon.

If I'm being honest with myself the apple and almond butter for breakfast was probably just a way of having a bagel and cream cheese to my brain, which was my go to many days. 

This is really, really insightful and exactly the sort of thing that Whole30 is designed to help you tease out. You're going to learn a lot in the coming weeks about your relationship with food and how it impacts you both physically and emotionally. Keep at it!

• Administrators

Got it, Lara Bar for emergencies only, which is not constituted of "I can't go another minute without something sweet".  Actually I may have to ban these from my 30 days totally and have something else on hand in case of emergency.  I'll do a search on the forums for some good options.

Canned salmon, sardines or tuna are great options.  Just throw a can opener in your desk/car and carry a fork.  Check ingredients, as always.  :)

Like I just had half a Lara Bar because I was hungry and it's not quite lunch time yet

My whole perception of being "hungry" has changed since my first Whole30.  Prior to eating the Whole9 way, whenever I was hungry it felt like there was an urgency to eat.  I was a huge snacker and often would eat every 2-3 hours to keep my energy up and to prevent those feelings of "hunger".  

Now....I like feeling hungry.  I feel like it's an honest message from my body.  "Hey there.....any chance I can get some sustenance in here?"  If I feel hungry, I look at the clock (typically) to see how close I am to my next scheduled meal time and think about WHY I am hungry:  Did I not eat a good enough breakfast?  Am I 2 hours past my regular lunch time?  Is it time to get going on dinner?  Etc.  I don't feel the urgency to eat immediately when hungry either.  I can say "I'll get you something within the next 45 minutes." and my stomach will usually cooperate.  I think eating good wholesome food allows this.

• Administrators

My whole perception of being "hungry" has changed since my first Whole30.  Prior to eating the Whole9 way, whenever I was hungry it felt like there was an urgency to eat.  I was a huge snacker and often would eat every 2-3 hours to keep my energy up and to prevent those feelings of "hunger".  

Now....I like feeling hungry.  I feel like it's an honest message from my body.  "Hey there.....any chance I can get some sustenance in here?"  If I feel hungry, I look at the clock (typically) to see how close I am to my next scheduled meal time and think about WHY I am hungry:  Did I not eat a good enough breakfast?  Am I 2 hours past my regular lunch time?  Is it time to get going on dinner?  Etc.  I don't feel the urgency to eat immediately when hungry either.  I can say "I'll get you something within the next 45 minutes." and my stomach will usually cooperate.  I think eating good wholesome food allows this.

Awesome mind-body conversation!  :D

Love this.  Thank you.  I'm definitely struggling with letting myself be hungry and figuring out why.  I'm coming from grazing all day and night so learning to have just 3 meals is a biggie for me. 

I wonder sometimes if the constant grazing--besides the 'advice' so many of us were given to eat every 2-3 hours--is also keeping our hands busy. My mom, when she had to quit smoking, went from smoking to eating peanuts because she didn't know what to do with her hands. I do a LOT of crafting and that keeps my hands busy so I am not grazing/snacking--plus if I was, I would be constantly washing my hands! I have gotten in the habit, that everywhere I go, my knitting and crocheting bag is sure to follow, whether or not I actually get into it. I look back now and kinda chuckle, because I starting handwork when I was 6, because my mom and grandmas all thought that idle hands were the devil's plaything, and now i am a chronic crafter! 

Just a thought. Is there a handcraft you want to learn? It might help with the snacking. I do a lot of different things--my hubby often says it is easier to ask me what don't I do, than what I do. If I can point you towards a craft, just hollar! 

Larabars are such a SWYPO for the majority of us (as I learned when I ate two in one day for no apparent reason other than it tasted damn good!). Fruit I am allowing myself with meals (although past few nights it has snuck in as a night time snack which I need to put the HALT on because I know I wasn't really hungry!). So in other words, just really pay attention to the why's on when/if you have these things!

Larabars are such a SWYPO for the majority of us (as I learned when I ate two in one day for no apparent reason other than it tasted damn good!). Fruit I am allowing myself with meals (although past few nights it has snuck in as a night time snack which I need to put the HALT on because I know I wasn't really hungry!). So in other words, just really pay attention to the why's on when/if you have these things!

Fruit is good and berries are da best in the summertime.    Heavy fruit eaters tend to eat fruit above and beyond everything else including proteins.   When fruit becomes a problem is when you can eat 1/2 watermelon in one setting and then polish it off with a Larabar chaser.  

I like to add fruit to my leafy greens.  They're good mates.  

Archived