Cauliflower Greens

Maureen Boyle

When I cook a cauliflower, I always cut away the outside leaves and throw them in the compost.  The other day, I finally did an internet search to see if they're edible.  Not only are they edible, but they're really tasty.  The site I found said to roast them.  This made the leafy part very tasty - like a kale chip, but the stem part was a little al dente for my taste.  Going forward, I think I'll slice the stems up and stir fry them.

I feel so foolish for having wasted this tasty, nutritious food all this time!

I wondered about that when I was cutting up cauliflower for cauli-rice last night. I also just learned recently (thank-you, Google) that kohlrabi greens are edible - similar to swiss chard just slightly milder flavor. We get organic kohlrabi from the local Farmers Market, and they always come with the green intact, so I was curious. I chopped them up and fried them in with scrambled eggs. The first time was great! This morning I kind of overdid it with the greens, but I wanted to use them up. Guess I could have gotten another meal out of them. Oh, well! Live and learn.

Kirkor--- yes they are!!!! They are my favorite part of the celery--I grew up eating them with my celery sticks and both my mom and grandmothers put them in soup, like you would parsley. soooo good!! One time, I asked hubby to make some carrot and celery sticks, and he thru the whole celery core--all the baby stalks and leaves--in the trash, thinking it was like a cabbage core and inedible! 

Archived