Anyone use a natural deodorant or DIY?

Julie Quates

I get the liquid roll-on crystal deodorant you can find at health food or drug stores. I put it on right after the bath. I guess it works all right as long as you bathe absolutely daily. I think I smelled worse during my W30. Definitely had weird, "tennis ball breath" as a friend described it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally just started using coconut oil and baking soda and it works perfectly. I keep a small jar in my bathroom. No stink. It works so much better than TOMS deoderant

Megan, do you melt the coconut oil and then mix in the baking soda? I'd like to try it. I already use some of my coconut oil as my only lotion and love it.

Crystal deodorant is the only stuff that doesn't turn my armpits purple - baking soda, Toms...my skin hates it all. But for whatever reason, the crystal is fine. I second the idea of putting it on right after you get out of the shower, it seems to make a huge difference!

I started making my own a month or so ago because I randomly noticed my BO was getting out of hand. I also did a Whole30 back in October, so I'm not sure if that caused it or not (although if I remember correctly, I think it started before the Whole30 [i've slept since then.. :P]).

I don't think I would have made my own if I didn't already have the coconut oil on hand from having done the Whole30. It had coconut oil, baking soda, shea butter and arrowroot as well as optional essential oils. The first time I made it I put tea tree oil in it for the smell and antibacterial aspect; however, after a week or two of using it everyday, my armpits really started to burn. This time I left out the tea tree oil and used less baking soda (added more arrowroot) and I used vanilla flavoring you use for cooking in it for a scent. The vanilla didn't really work though, mostly smells like coconut oil.

Megan, do you melt the coconut oil and then mix in the baking soda? I'd like to try it. I already use some of my coconut oil as my only lotion and love it.

I just keep a jar of it in the bathroom. The heat from my fingers picks up enough coconut oil and then I will dip my finger in baking soda before spreading it under my arm. You could also try mixing them beforehand into a jar. I have done this as well and it works really well. One time I even added some essential rose extract...so lovely

Related to this topic...I notice when I increase my meat consumption my "personal" (my crotch,) smell also changes and increases. Does anyone else have this and does it go away?? It's not a big deal except I definitely notice it in yoga class or if I'm sitting cross-legged. It makes me feel less sexy for sure.

I've heard the smell can be from ketosis. Both armpits and girl parts. For yoga, maybe a pantyliner inserted right before would help?

I don't usually get too smelly, but when I'm very low carb the smell is definitely stronger than otherwise.

I do the coconut oil + baking soda sometimes, sometimes just baking soda when I come out of the shower (sticks well enough to wet armpits), sometimes I just squirt my liquid baking soda (shampoo) under my arms and be careful not to rinse it. Sometimes I use Mitchum because EWG says it's not -that- terrible and I'm lazy.

I want to try the salt stone.

Try Funk Butter from Oyinhandmade. It is a great company and the deodorant works much better than commercial for me natural or not.

I second that. I found Funk Butter several years ago and I have since converted a handful of friends to their product. It comes unscented or in yummy flavors.. I use the mango in summer and the black cedar fig year round. It works like a gem!

Hey everyone! Still great responses on this. I do think its a bit of the ketosis with increasing my protein. I rarely wear any deodorant but do wear Crystal (its a wet roll on) and the stick crystal thing (which is strange). I've noticed that when I put Pumpkin Pie spice in my coffee i can literally smell that smell within an hour. Maybe it's just coincidence but maybe I've got a sensitivity to a spice in there.

I'm going to try some FunkButter. I want to smell Yummy again! :)

My understanding is that while the crystal is 'natural', it contains either ammonium alum or potassium alum, which is in effect aluminum (the ingredient most people are trying to avoid by purchasing natural deodorants). Does anyone have clarification on this? I purchased a crystal due to this thread (it of course works great), but have stopped using it since learning that alum is the main active ingredient.

I will be trying coconut oil mixed with baking soda next.

Thanks!

Read this thread yesterday and decided to try out the crystal deodorant. It was $2.97 at Walmart which is way cheaper than the other junk I was using before. I put it on at 6:45 this morning and I literally do not smell at all. Usually I can tell that I need to put some more deodorant on around this time (3:15pm) but don't feel that way today. Granted I have not been running a marathon but just my daily tasks at home cause me to smell a bit...at least under my arms. Thankful for reading this post!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't have any problem with increased BO during my whole30. However, I recently changed deodorants in order to avoid the aluminum antipersperants. I used to sweat a LOT. It didn't matter what I used, it would rinse right off onto my shirts and it would make the fabric discolored and kind of greasy.

First I tried the coconut oil/baking soda/corn starch deodorant. It was okay, but I found it a bit inconvenient and messy. And it was a bit irritating on my skin.

Then I got to thinking. I work in a biology lab where it is very important to keep surfaces free of bacteria. We use 70% ethanol as a disinfectant spray. So I put some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, and started using it on my armpits. I was very worried about it drying out my skin (my skin is pretty sensitive), but I have had no problems for the last ~3 months! Initially, I would have BO, mostly at certain times during the month, but that has not been a problem for a while. Also, I have been sweating much, much less. I no longer have to worry about wearing dark colors that won't show sweat under my armpits!

So, for what it's worth. Rubbing alcohol works for me :)

Julie, how is the Funk Butter treating you? Due to the ketosis over here, I have had to dive back into my FB jars and it is working wonders per usual. My mango version stays in the gym bag and my cedar fig is kept at home. Yummy.

I'm actually using these two scents as well! I love this stuff! It was this thread that led me to it, so thank you!

Genius on the rubbing alcohol. It's the bacteria that causes the oders on feet and underarms (according to Dr Drew :) ) so it makes sense. I used rubbing alcolhol and then a little coconut oil on my underarms and now I am headed for the gym. I will report back.

Archived