Anyone use a natural deodorant or DIY?

Julie Quates

Just wanted to say thanks so much for this thread. I'm sure I read at some point that regular deodorants were toxic, but I forgot or ignored it....based on the comments here, I bought both Funk Butter and Pitty Party and am happily alternating between the two. They are pretty different, but I like them both and from what I can tell they are working fine.

I started with Funk Butter, and since I ignored the warning about not using it after shaving, I found it to sting pretty bad (I've always shaved in the shower). The stinging actually stopped after about a week, but by then I had received my new electric razor...and I'm so glad I bought it. I use it at night - it works great and saves me a few minutes in the shower. The best part is that I am now red bump free...my underarms have been irritated ever since I started shaving. It only took 2-3 days without the regular razor for it to clear up. I've never skipped more than a day in 20+ years, so I had no idea how quickly it would go away. I'm so happy!! Thanks everyone!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To those using the crystal deodorants, I used to use one too. Sadly it was the only "all-natural" deodorant that truly worked for me, it actually stopped my sweating. I used the crystal, then dabbed on arrowroot powder, and I never needed anything else. And of the homemade deodorants that I made (and I made MANY versions, after learning I was too sensitive to baking soda), just didn't work.

But I read a LOT of information that the crystal deodorants are aluminum salt, which are not very good for us, either. While they obviously don't contain the parabens and other toxic chemicals that commercial deodorants do, coming from a family that has a prevalence of breast cancer, I decided to eliminate it anyway. So I just thought I'd share that information with those of you that use it, and may not be aware (as I wasn't originally aware that it was made of aluminum salt, either).

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/16/aluminum-lurks-in-crystal-deodorants.aspx

http://bubbleandbee.blogspot.com/2009/03/aluminum-in-crystal-deodorants.html

http://press.herbalix.com/articles/why-are-crystal-deodorants-unsafe/

• 3 weeks later...

I make my own from a recipe from Crunchy Betty's site: the recipe with coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and essential oils. Someone else mentioned it here as well. Works great (for me!), and my armpits smell of lemongrass.

I have been using Dr. Mist spray for a couple of years. You have to order it online, it isn't available in stores. (or at least it wasn't the last time I ordered some) If I am regularly eating a healthy diet, it works great. Just two or three squirts on each pit after showering, and it lasts until the next day. The ingredients are all natural and actually good for your skin. The company says you can spray it on areas where you have skin issues, and it will help with healing. I haven't tried this so don't know if it really works. If I am eating a lousy diet or de-toxing (like now that I'm doing the W30) Dr. Mist sometimes is not enough. I have been alternating between Dr. Mist one day, then commercial deod the next, then repeat. I'll only keep this up for the first week of W30, until I get some of the "yuck" out of my body. Then I'll go back to just Dr. Mist.

Incidentally, de-toxing normally gives me really bad breath also. I did a veggie juice cleanse a couple of months ago, and during the first few days, my boyfriend told me my breath literally smelled like poop. Super gross and super embarrassing! Fortunately, he's made no such comment since I've been doing W30, although this is only day 3 for me. I am hoping that neither the breath nor the pits get too stinky, but just something you might want to be aware of if your are really releasing a lot of toxins, especially from your digestive tract!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived