Question about coconut products

Howelle

Hi, I'm new and a little confused about coconut products. I'm not sure I understand the different terms. I've seen the following: coconut milk, coconut butter, coconut cream, coconut oil, coconut manna, creamed coconut.

I think coconut milk is the stuff in the can that I've always used to make curries, butter is what you put on dry skin, and I've found some oil for cooking. Is that correct? If so, what are cream, manna, and creamed coconut?

Secondly, I opened a can of coconut milk last night. After a good shaking, there was still an inch or so of the hard fat at the top -- I've always thought of that as the butter. I saved it in a ramekin and used the milk in my recipe. Is that solid stuff the butter or cream? Is that how I'm supposed to use the milk?

I've looked around on the forums and have found references to these products, but no definitions. I would very much appreciate any help! Thanks!

• Moderators

You want to shake your can of coconut milk before you open it or mix everything in the can together after you open it. The solid stuff that separates out is an important part of the coconut milk.

Different companies call the creamy, coconut meat different things - butter, manna, etc. Coconut butter and manna are the same and it tastes great. I would not waste it on my skin. I've never heard of creamed coconut, but would guess that is butter/manna.

Coconut oil is a great cooking fat and you could rub it on your skin.

Hi. When it comes to the stuff for skin, I believe you're thinking of cocoa butter (although coconut oil works great). Coconut butter or manna is More like a nut butter. It's difficult to find in some communities, but you can find it online. I like the artisana brand best. Coconut cream is the stuff that you can scoop off the top of an unshaken can. Some companies also sell it seperately. Some dairy-free desserts call for you to refrigerate your can overnight, open it, skim off the thick fat from the top, sweeten it, and use it as whipped cream. Alternatively, I have rarely seen it packaged on its own as coconut cream. In general, stir this in because it's part of your coconut milk.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few questions about coconut milk. I mostly buy Thai Kitchen because that's what easily available here, and I use it in my coffee. Some cans mix perfectly with just a good shake before I open it, or I even put the can in warm water to make sure it's all combined. But the past couple cans have had about a quarter inch of hard, waxy "stuff". I thought at first that was the coconut cream, but it is so hard and not like I've heard the cream described. What is that stuff and how can I get it to incorporate? It's only there in some cans, and not in others.

Also, the past couple cans I have used have left an oily layer on top of my coffee. I know that coconut milk is fatty, but this just looks so unappetizing. It reminds me of the fat that rises to the top when making broth...yuck. It's not every can...do you think it's just a bad batch?

Last thing, I wanted to try to make "sour cream" from coconut cream like I read on another thread, so I left my can of coconut milk in the fridge over night. The next day when I went to open it, the liquid all looked the same as normal, so there was nothing to skim off. There was though that same thick layer of hard, waxy stuff like I described before. Wasn't exactly something I thought I could make cream out of especially since I had to use a knife to get it out!

I'm on Day 26 now, and never really saw waxy stuff or oil slicks before, and I've been buying the same brand the whole time (with a few random exceptions when out of town). Any ideas what is going on?

TripleM,

I've found that the consistency of my preferred brand varies from can to can as well. I consider that a testament to the "whole" quality of the product. Sometimes it separates, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it's fatty...I tend to keep a couple of cans in the fridge at a time for that reason. Also, switching to a brand with just coconut and water may help it keep a more homogenized texture.

Archived