Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

I am the same.  I struggle with anxiety/depression, and have been worse, not better doing whole 30.  I eat sweet potato every day, also carrots, and squash in addition to green veggies.  And, I hate to be a party pooper, but, have you noticed that no one feels better?  I'm sticking with it, but, as of this point, it isn't a panacea by any means.

Are you getting enough sleep? How are your stress levels? Are you physically active? Getting at least an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily?

When are you eating the starchy veg?

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you getting enough sleep? How are your stress levels? Are you physically active? Getting at least an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily?

When are you eating the starchy veg?

I am sleeping well.  Stress levels are normal.  I walk every day, plus lift weights a few times a week.  I am drinking plenty of water.  I am eating starchy veg in the afternoon and evening.

Day 18.  So.very.tired.  Could hardly drag myself out of bed this morning, and when I did my eyes were all puffy.  I didn't eat a lot of salt last night, so not sure what that is all about.  Dragged myself through the day and just can't wait for the kids to go to bed so I can, too!   

I really hope some semblance of tiger blood kicks in soon.  I've upped my water and my physical activities this week, ate lighter protein and veg but still had my starchy veg, and added more fat, but still so tired. I really need a burst of energy. Looking forward to a restful weekend.

Day 18 :)  I am feeling so good today! Even though I did not get to bed until late last night, I slept soundly and still have energy left at the end of the day.  I feel like I can develop more than a casual relationship with my elliptical after work now.  I love this being able to keep moving after work thing that is happening here. 

I am really enjoying discovering the amazing flavors in food that I've been missing.  I have been reading and marking all the recipes I want to try, some have turned out really, really well (coconut shrimp and mayonnaise were the most triumphant) and some not so much (killed my spaghetti squash, cooked it to death).  This is such a learning process, lol.  I really think I need more than the 30 days.  Partly to keep setting in place good habit, partly because I don't want to add something back in that will make me go back to feeling tired and unwell.

The high point for me today was when I surprised myself  by having the urge to move during my breaks at work and followed through by climbing a set of stairs for about 7 minutes.  Usually I'm collapsed on them, just trying to collect enough energy to make it through the next two hours.

My low?  Several of you will laugh at this, I think.  I've been seeing so many of you talk about Kombucha that I decided to try it.  My first and LAST time ever.  I don't think I'm cut out for the healthy drink route.  I managed to choke down half of the serving - blargh.  It didn't like me any better than I like it, it came right back out again.  What possessed someone to drink that stuff in the first place??? And how did they convince somebody else to try it afterwards??? 

M1: breakfast sausage with spinach, mushroom, and pineapple salsa

M2; stuffed pepper (mmmmmm), half a serving of kombucha (briefly)

M3: pork loin, sweet potato, green beans & mushrooms, handful of dark cherries

So irritable and cranky today. Tried to have a pity party but no one wanted to come lol. Feeling very critical of my body and feeling like after 18 days I should be "thinner" . Fighting the bloat a little which is more of a mental thing than physical. Made it through my morning workout and now going to spin. Trying not to want to kill all the things. Also feelings like I just want to eat real food lol even though I am eating good whole food. Finding today is just one of those days and this too shall pass. Thanks for letting me be honest and real.

Sarah

Day 18.  So.very.tired.  Could hardly drag myself out of bed this morning, and when I did my eyes were all puffy.  I didn't eat a lot of salt last night, so not sure what that is all about.  Dragged myself through the day and just can't wait for the kids to go to bed so I can, too!   

I really hope some semblance of tiger blood kicks in soon.  I've upped my water and my physical activities this week, ate lighter protein and veg but still had my starchy veg, and added more fat, but still so tired. I really need a burst of energy. Looking forward to a restful weekend.

Have you been to the "ladies only" forum?  I found some really good information on the bloating and a couple other questions I had in there.  Hopefully you find the tweak you need or your  body suddenly says "OH!! That's what that stuff is for!" and kicks in your tiger blood. :)

Hi all! I love reading everyone's posts- they help me get through the day! I am so proud of all of us for sticking with this- there are a lot of us!

I am currently eating the most ridiculous dinner ever- THREE compliant hot dogs with a huge serving of cole slaw and mustard! I'm sure I'll puff up from the sodium, but I don't care- it's too good!

I went on another run, after that horrible run a few days ago, and things were much much better- I was at my regular pace, and I felt great. If anyone isn't feeling well I would really recommend going for a long walk, a fun hike, or a bike ride- something to get that tiger blood flowing!

Also- I'm going to a sushi restaurant for a big going away lunch tomorrow. I'm a little nervous there won't be much for me to eat- I'm going to pack my coconut aminos, and I guess I'll order salad without dressing, sashimi, sliced avocado? Has anyone else been out for Japanese food that can offer some tips?

Also- I'm going to a sushi restaurant for a big going away lunch tomorrow. I'm a little nervous there won't be much for me to eat- I'm going to pack my coconut aminos, and I guess I'll order salad without dressing, sashimi, sliced avocado? Has anyone else been out for Japanese food that can offer some tips?

Sounds like you have a great plan: go with it! Avoid seaweed salad as that is frequently made with soy sauce. Also avoid wasabi as it's often not compliant.

I am sleeping well.  Stress levels are normal.  I walk every day, plus lift weights a few times a week.  I am drinking plenty of water.  I am eating starchy veg in the afternoon and evening.

Are you taking pre & post WO meals? And if so, what are they?

Are you keeping a food log? Perhaps you are simply not eating eating enough..... If you'd like to post a few days worth of actual food intake we can troubleshoot to see if we can't improve things for you.

So irritable and cranky today. Tried to have a pity party but no one wanted to come lol. Feeling very critical of my body and feeling like after 18 days I should be "thinner" . Fighting the bloat a little which is more of a mental thing than physical. Made it through my morning workout and now going to spin. Trying not to want to kill all the things. Also feelings like I just want to eat real food lol even though I am eating good whole food. Finding today is just one of those days and this too shall pass. Thanks for letting me be honest and real.

Sarah

Are you eating pre/postWO meals seeing as you are training twice a day?

This won't help with energ levels. Yes, the starchy veg will help with energy levels & mood, but dropping protein will counter-act that.

Are you getting at least a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight? So, if you're 130 pounds for example you're drinking 65 fluid ounces of water daily?

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/activity levels we can troubleshoot for you.

Good morning and Happy Day 19. So I think my Kill All The Things day happened on day 19. I was just so cranky and irritable yesterday. I could be the fact that we are melting over here in california. Yesterday topped out at 106 and the AC in my house is not working so it was pretty miserable. I'll be honest I don't do well in heat. I just don't. I took it out on myself and family but I stayed on whole 30 even when i had the F this kinda thoughts. I just wanted to eat! made me aware of my true emotional eating issues. Which I know of as I have been in OA for 5 years.  I am committed to having a better day even thought the weather is another day of the same. 11 more days till I get to move! Today I will be shopping for a new couch and appliances. I am so excited. NSV: i never thought i would be able to drink coffee with out creamer or stevia. Now its just normal. I wonder what it will be like if and when i do add stevia back. Most likely too sweet. Lets keep chugging along team! We can do this!!

Sarah

My low?  Several of you will laugh at this, I think.  I've been seeing so many of you talk about Kombucha that I decided to try it.  My first and LAST time ever.  I don't think I'm cut out for the healthy drink route.  I managed to choke down half of the serving - blargh.  It didn't like me any better than I like it, it came right back out again.  What possessed someone to drink that stuff in the first place??? And how did they convince somebody else to try it afterwards??? 

C_Cezeaux, this is HILARIOUS!  lol I like the polite way you walked around saying the word "vomit" lol.  The first time I had Kombucha I didnt like it, either - I had GT's Gingerade, and it was too bitter for me.  But I like the lavendar one, and I had the Mixed Greens yesterday and thought it was OK.  Maybe give it another shot??  I've also heard that (after our W30 is over) the ones with a bit of cane sugar are better.

Day 19, which means tomorrow we're 2/3 of the way through!!!

sfowler, I really like your attitude today! You acknowledged that yesterday was tough, but you're going to perservere and focus on today and keeping positive. I LOVE IT! We're feeling some of that heat up here in Portland, too, so I feel ya! Keep chugging that water.

Had the makings of a migraine last night so I went to bed early and slept a solid 10 hours.  I know I didn't eat very well yesterday (not enough protein or fat) so that's probably why I felt like crap last night!  But because I slept so well I haven't had any caffeine yet today and I'm not falling asleep on my keyboard!!

Although I dont feel like I have "tiger blood" flowing through my veins, but before I started the W30 I was drinking 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning, and 1-2 energy drinks in the afternoon just to stay awake.  And I'd still want to pass out around 6:30pm after dinner!  My skin is clearer, my tummy feels smaller, and I'm feeling happier than I have been in a while.

Let's be honest with ourselves and how we really feel vs how we used to, instead of waiting for this "magic" tiger blood to come.

I am stepping off my soap box now.  :D

Let's make today THE BEST DAY YET!!!

• Moderators

Although I dont feel like I have "tiger blood" flowing through my veins, but before I started the W30 I was drinking 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning, and 1-2 energy drinks in the afternoon just to stay awake.  And I'd still want to pass out around 6:30pm after dinner!  My skin is clearer, my tummy feels smaller, and I'm feeling happier than I have in a while.

Let's be honest with ourselves and how we really feel vs how we used to, instead of waiting for this "magic" tiger blood to come.

"Tiger blood" is probably my least favorite part of the whole30 lexicon. It implies so much, and so many people think they haven't gotten it because they're expecting some huge thing. For many people, it really is more like what you're experiencing -- better mood, stable energy, not needing caffeine to get through the day. A few people really do get the big magic, but it's so dependent on each individual that you can't really predict who will get it and who won't. 

This is what the timeline actually says about Tiger Blood:

You’ve hit the downhill slope of your Whole30 and life is beautiful—which means different things for different people. For some (generally people who came to the program eating well, exercising regularly, and feeling pretty good to begin with), Tiger Blood means someone flipped a switch and turned on the awesome. Energy is through the roof, cravings are under control, clothes are fitting better, workouts are stronger.

For others, this Tiger Blood stage feels more like a real sense of self-efficacy. It doesn’t mean things are perfect (or even easy), but you’re proving to yourself that you can do this, things are getting better, and you’re seeing improvements (small or large) almost daily. Your energy is steadier, you’ve got a firmer handle on the cravings, and you’re experimenting with new, delicious foods.  You may notice that your ability to focus is keener, your body composition is changing, your moods are more stable, you’re stepping up your exercise, or you’re just plain happier these days.

Of course, this may not happen like magic at the halfway point. There are a huge number of factors that influence which benefits you see and when. If you’re one of those folks who has hit the halfway mark and isn’t seeing or feeling the dramatic changes others have reported*, know this: You’re not doing it wrong. If you began the Whole30 with a medical condition, a long and rooted history of unhealthy food habits, or a chronically stressful lifestyle, your “magic” may take longer to appear, and probably won’t be a “light switch” moment. Don’t stress about whether you’re feeling honest-to-goodness “Tiger Blood”—be patient, and be on the lookout for small, gradual improvements to keep you motivated. Slow and steady still wins this race.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one still feeling tired and lethargic! I'm pretty sure it's the combination of all the changes as well as me getting this horrible sinus, cold thing. I haven't been this sick in years. Can this be caused by the elimination of sugar and wine? I have tried every alternative remedy I can find including putting garlic soaked q-tips up my nose!!!!! I can't get rid of this sinus congestion and drainage that causes a horrible sore throat. I don't want to go on antibiotics because of the gut healing that I've accomplished, so any suggestions? I have no energy to work out. It's all I can do to walk the block to work and back. 

I was also really hoping for my digestive system to kick in with all the veggies I'm eating, but that hasn't happened either. Still having problems with constipation unless I drink my magnesium at night. 

I'm disappointed with myself and attitude. I'm usually a bubbly, positive, happy person and every post I've added is nothing but whining! Can I really last another 11 days?

Good morning and Happy Day 19. So I think my Kill All The Things day happened on day 19. I was just so cranky and irritable yesterday. I could be the fact that we are melting over here in california. Yesterday topped out at 106 and the AC in my house is not working so it was pretty miserable. I'll be honest I don't do well in heat. I just don't. I took it out on myself and family but I stayed on whole 30 even when i had the F this kinda thoughts. I just wanted to eat! made me aware of my true emotional eating issues. Which I know of as I have been in OA for 5 years.  I am committed to having a better day even thought the weather is another day of the same. 11 more days till I get to move! Today I will be shopping for a new couch and appliances. I am so excited. NSV: i never thought i would be able to drink coffee with out creamer or stevia. Now its just normal. I wonder what it will be like if and when i do add stevia back. Most likely too sweet. Lets keep chugging along team! We can do this!!

Sarah

Are you at home all day with that heat? If your AC isn't working, you'd be amazed at what blowing a fan through a damp towel will do for a room. Also, if tyou have a clean shop vac, Styrofoam cooler, duct tape, and a couple bags of ice a red neck AC is pretty easy to make. Good job on hanging in there. :-)

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one still feeling tired and lethargic! I'm pretty sure it's the combination of all the changes as well as me getting this horrible sinus, cold thing. I haven't been this sick in years. Can this be caused by the elimination of sugar and wine? I have tried every alternative remedy I can find including putting garlic soaked q-tips up my nose!!!!! I can't get rid of this sinus congestion and drainage that causes a horrible sore throat. I don't want to go on antibiotics because of the gut healing that I've accomplished, so any suggestions? I have no energy to work out. It's all I can do to walk the block to work and back. 

I was also really hoping for my digestive system to kick in with all the veggies I'm eating, but that hasn't happened either. Still having problems with constipation unless I drink my magnesium at night. 

I'm disappointed with myself and attitude. I'm usually a bubbly, positive, happy person and every post I've added is nothing but whining! Can I really last another 11 days?

You CAN last! Have you tried putting Vick on the soles of your feet and then covering with socks? Supposed to break up sinus congestion.

You CAN last! Have you tried putting Vick on the soles of your feet and then covering with socks? Supposed to break up sinus congestion.

I have done that most nights :) Thank you. I'm also using an aromatherapy diffuser with eucalyptus and Breathe. Using On Guard essential oil to gargle. You name it! I've probably done it. Staying home all weekend to rest, so hopefully that will kick it!

Thanks for the support. You are all very awesome warriors

Are you taking pre & post WO meals? And if so, what are they?

Are you keeping a food log? Perhaps you are simply not eating eating enough..... If you'd like to post a few days worth of actual food intake we can troubleshoot to see if we can't improve things for you.

thanks!  I would welcome your input.

M1  Coffee with 1 teaspoon ghee, and 1 t. MCT oil.  Bone broth with a scoop of beef collagen.

M2  Soup with carrots, onions, kale, and ground buffalo

M3  butternut squash with ground pork

M4  Grilled chicken breast with salad  

Workout between meals 2 and 3 :)

• Administrators

thanks!  I would welcome your input.

M1  Coffee with 1 teaspoon ghee, and 1 t. MCT oil.  Bone broth with a scoop of beef collagen.

M2  Soup with carrots, onions, kale, and ground buffalo

M3  butternut squash with ground pork

M4  Grilled chicken breast with salad  

Workout between meals 2 and 3 :)

Well there's your problem!  

Meal 1 is non existent.  Those are beverages, not food.  So right off the bat you are missing an entire meal every day.  M2 as soup is nice but unless it contains one to two palms of protein and around 3 cups of veggies and some fat, it's not nearly enough food.  Especially for someone who is working out.  You are missing your pre and post workout meals (or is M3 considered your post workout meal?)  You also seem to be missing fat at all your meals that contained actual food.

Check out our meal template linked below. Starting within an hour of waking, you need to eat at least the minimum on that template.  That means at least one palm (length, width, thickness) of protein, at least 1 cup of veggies and a serving of fat as outlined in the chart.  These are absolute bare minimums.

Anxiety and depression as well as general malaise and exhaustion are directly linked to undereating.

Well there's your problem!  

Meal 1 is non existent.  Those are beverages, not food.  So right off the bat you are missing an entire meal every day.  M2 as soup is nice but unless it contains one to two palms of protein and around 3 cups of veggies and some fat, it's not nearly enough food.  Especially for someone who is working out.  You are missing your pre and post workout meals (or is M3 considered your post workout meal?)  You also seem to be missing fat at all your meals that contained actual food.

Check out our meal template linked below. Starting within an hour of waking, you need to eat at least the minimum on that template.  That means at least one palm (length, width, thickness) of protein, at least 1 cup of veggies and a serving of fat as outlined in the chart.  These are absolute bare minimums.

Anxiety and depression as well as general malaise and exhaustion are directly linked to undereating.

thanks, I will.  I don't add fat with fatty meats, I will check the template to see if I should.  Yes, M3 is my post workout meal.  I hear you about the non food breakfast, I will add some meat to that.  (I'm doing the autoimmune, so, no eggs or nuts).  I appreciate your suggestions!!

Archived