Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

Day 23! yay!

I don't think I posted these couple days, I ordered some "grilled" shrimp in a restaurant but I'm pretty sure it was breaded or had something else however I was so hungry that ate them without asking.. and I'm going to take it as a honest mistake  :wacko:

Made the Chicken Pad Thai from the clothes make the girl, some baked sweet potato fries (that never come out as fries...) egg muffins, some Portobello mushroom pizza and a Mango gazpacho. That's kind of the menu for this week.

On Friday we are going to NY for the 4th of July so let's see how compliant I can eat in restaurants... then on Sunday heading to Barcelona for work (2 weeks) that's going to be difficult they eat so much bread! and the the cure meats which are W30 but I cannot eat cause the pregnancy so well.. I guess I'll be having lots of gazpacho and Spanish Tortilla.... However I packed on snacks... Kale chips, dehydrated fruits, nuts and Lara bars. I do want to finish and do a nice reintroduction although I already know legumes bloat me and grains make my stomach hurt....  but I need to keep away from sugar!

Happy day 23 ladies love reading your posts and seeing progress!  :wub:

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning! Happy day 23! WE FINALLY HAVE AIR CONDITIONING. Just in the nick of time as today is projected to reach a high of 107. I never realized how much i take simple things like cold air for granted. I wonder what other first world simplicities I take for granted. Most likely the internet lol. Today I feel every single muscle in my entire body. I am so sore from my workouts. I have to say whole 30 has made my workouts so much stronger. Before whole 30 I needed a pre workout stimulant to power through. 

I have also noticed that my sense of smell is so much stronger which has its pluses and minuses. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am heading to the downtown farmers market today. I am so excited for summer fruits and veggies. Also going to do some purging of stuff I no longer need or use from my storage unit. I have a problem getting rid of old teaching stuff for fear that maybe one day I might use it lol. 

Another thing I've notice is that during week 1 i was constantly hungry. I needed to eat like every 2 hours. Now i am not. I can actually go meal to meal. When I do want to eat or do eat between meal is usually out of boredom or craving. After my heavy leg workout yesterday I came home and ate the MOST DELICIOUS meal yet! 3 of the mini sliders on the sweet potato "buns" with the paleo mayo and bib lettuce with caramelized onions and mush room. I swear the taste was so fresh and strong. I took a small nap after and work up with cravings which was weird.  But dinner was again so delicious. Baked salmon with baked asparagus. I took 2 pieces of paleo bacon and chopped the cooked bacon up and mixed it into 1/2 acvocado. Yummy!!!

Have a wonderful week 4! 

I've been feeling really good and energetic the last few days.  I had an intense leg workout with my trainer yesterday, and felt great.  I'm hoping I have turned the corner, and am going to feel like this for the remainder of 30 days, or if I'm just in a good hormonal place right now!    I do feel much better after increasing my fats and making sure I am eating a lot of vegetables.

Great job, everyone!!  Hope you all have a fabulous day!!

I'm tired today.  But I was fighting my husband and my dog for blankets all night, so I'm sure that's not helping.  Oh well, I'll just have to drink more tea!

I'm a little crabby, too, actually!!  Having a bit of a low self-esteem day I guess.  My pants feel looser but I just wish some of this "chipmunk" in my face would go away!! lol the grass is always greener...

Day 23:

M1: Sauteed potatoes, fried eggs, bit of salmon (leftover from the grilled salmon I made last night)

M2: I have some steak, Madras chicken salad, salmon, guac, cucs, carrots, watermelon.. I basically grabbed all the leftovers out of the fridge and brought them to work with me lol.  We'll see what sounds good at lunch time!!

M3: I'm thinking grilled shrimp marinated in chimichurri.. we'll see!

Keep it up, ladies - we ROCK!  :lol:

I went out to dinner with my husband last night.  Holy cow.  It was so hard.  I don't know how any of you have eaten out on Whole30.  I could barely make it through without throwing in the towel.  But I knew it wouldn't be worth it and that I've come way too far to slip now.  I became one of those people the servers probably hate.  Asking a million questions on how it's cooked, what it is or isn't marinated in, is there sugar in this?  Can I substitute that?  On and on.  But my server was very kind and accommodating.  It was a higher end restaurant and so I think that helped.  I had grilled salmon with lemon juice on top and a side of brocolli.  I also had a salad (had to take off the croutons, cheese etc.) with balsamic vinegar and EVOO on the side.  It was good.  But I just felt let down.  When I used to go out and eat in the past I would eat a lot more and it wasn't usually very healthy.  I would leave the restaurant stuffed.  But oddly happy.  I know that sounds so bad.  But it was a bad habit when I'd go out to eat and I would be sick after.  Now that I'm doing Whole30 I left the restaurant satisfied but feeling like I missed out.  Still something I need to work out in my head.  All I could think was, why didn't I just eat at home?  It would have been less expensive and it would have tasted better I bet.

Day 23!  Here's to all of us.   :wub:

Day 24.  We are amazing.  I'm super constipated.  Not sure why.  Maybe not enough water?  I'm drinking around 64 oz on a slow day but usually 100 oz.

Meal 1:  2-3 eggs with spinach omelete 2-3 pieces of compliant bacon, half an avocado

Meal 2:  leftovers from meal 3 the night before / or / 2-3 hard steamed eggs with half an avocado and either sugar snap peas or carrots

Meal 3:  hamburgers with veggies - usually brussell sprouts/ chicken breast with sweet potatoes -- always a protein on 1/4 of my plate, 1/2 my plate veg and 1-2 thumb fat

Once a day I drink a La Croix and once a day I usually drink a Kombucha.

Now that I'm doing Whole30 I left the restaurant satisfied but feeling like I missed out.  Still something I need to work out in my head.  All I could think was, why didn't I just eat at home?  It would have been less expensive and it would have tasted better I bet.

I'm with you on that - we went to a fancy restaurant a couple weeks ago and I had steak and zucchini- something I make at home all the time- and costs about 2/3 less!  I, too, felt like I was missing out.  I usually enjoy going out to eat with friends and having a dessert with my husband.  I think it's harder right now because (and someone please correct me if i'm wrong or share your input) the whole point of the W30 is to change and make you better understand your relationship with food.  It's harder now because that dessert is strictly forbidden.  Before W30, I probably would have had a dessert on my own.  Post-W30 I will get something to split with my husband, maybe take a few bites, paying attention to each one, until enough is enough.  It's like Melissa said in her blog post about coming to Portland and eating donuts.  Before you take every bite, ask yourself, "is it worth it"?

Long story short, I dont think we need to resign ourselves to the fact or try to force our minds into thinking that we're never going to have a dessert or lobster mac n cheese again.  This is the "boot camp" to get us ready for the real battle.

Whew that was long!  Sorry, allistrang - I've been feeling the same way and trying to find the right way of thinking.  Still trying, so please everyone feel free to tell me if i'm on the right track or not!

M1: Sauteed mushrooms and 2 fried eggs

M2: Hamburger patty, bit of leftover grilled shrimp, carrots & cucumbers & guac

M3: Steaks and veggies on the grill (we're having friends over tonight - cant wait to "surprise" them with a W30 compliant meal!!)

Have a great day 24, everyone!

Day 24...each day is becoming more habitual and second nature with regards to food choices. To be honest i don't even miss grains or dairy. I wasn't consuming much dairy before  whole 30 anyways except for greek yogurt. I haven't had cows milk in almost 15 years. So I think I have come down with some sort of summer cold. I have had a throbbing migraine for days and sinus issues with an irritated soft palate. I am feeling yucky and uncomfortable. I know I need to rest which is challenging for me. I found myself wanting "comfort" in a chocolate donut ( like that is the magic sickness cure lol) I also found myself thinking wow a soda would sure cure this headache. I have take 2 excedrine migraine tabs and they have slightly taken the edge off. Yesterdays heat highs here in Nor Cal reached 108 and we are in for a repeat today. But we have air and I am grateful. My biggest issue has always been seeking pain relief in food wether emotional or physical pain. I did go to my 6 am spin class this morning thinking I could shake off not feeling good. My m1 was 1/2 yam, 1/2 apple, chicken apple sausage and onion/spinach hash with 1 egg and egg whites. It was very satisfying and I am not hungry. Im going to actually do my best to rest and nap. I can't believe we officially only have 6 days left. I plan to keep going until I go to the State Fair where I will have a beer and a corn dog! 

Sarah

Hi everyone. I've been MIA for a few days. Still trying to get over this sinus, cold thing. Still very exhausted. Still battling constipation, which is one of the reasons I started this program, hoping to get more regularity in my system with all the vegetables. But that has not happened. I'm even taking magnesium at night, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Looking forward, since I was mostly following the Paleo program when I started this, I plan on sticking to being gluten, dairy and grain free. My fear is with the sugar addiction I have. I am so proud of myself that I haven't cheated in that department at all! But, I'm afraid that I'll be like the alcoholic who can't even take one bite of chocolate without caving into extreme cravings again. Not sure how to handle that.

I'm smiling at all of the posts about eating out. I have eaten out a few times and it is such a relief and delight for me. First of all, I don't have to cook it!!!!or plan it!!! or reheat it!!! I can just enjoy my club soda and lime, relax, sit back and be served! Every restaurant I've eaten at has been extremely accommodating to all my questions and requests and I leave feeling nourished, well fed and relaxed. 

Good luck to all of us this weekend at our July 4th parties! This will be a true test, since we are on the home stretch!

Day 24...each day is becoming more habitual and second nature with regards to food choices. To be honest i don't even miss grains or dairy. I wasn't consuming much dairy before  whole 30 anyways except for greek yogurt. I haven't had cows milk in almost 15 years. So I think I have come down with some sort of summer cold. I have had a throbbing migraine for days and sinus issues with an irritated soft palate. I am feeling yucky and uncomfortable. I know I need to rest which is challenging for me. I found myself wanting "comfort" in a chocolate donut ( like that is the magic sickness cure lol) I also found myself thinking wow a soda would sure cure this headache. I have take 2 excedrine migraine tabs and they have slightly taken the edge off. Yesterdays heat highs here in Nor Cal reached 108 and we are in for a repeat today. But we have air and I am grateful. My biggest issue has always been seeking pain relief in food wether emotional or physical pain. I did go to my 6 am spin class this morning thinking I could shake off not feeling good. My m1 was 1/2 yam, 1/2 apple, chicken apple sausage and onion/spinach hash with 1 egg and egg whites. It was very satisfying and I am not hungry. Im going to actually do my best to rest and nap. I can't believe we officially only have 6 days left. I plan to keep going until I go to the State Fair where I will have a beer and a corn dog! 

Sarah

Try a rare steak for your migraine.  It sounds a little weird, but I've had pretty decent results with it. :)  Also the herbal packs for your forehead if you don't already have one, I find the chamomile to be especially helpful for me.

Despite being sick I've stayed compliant. Today is the in only day where I felt my self saying only 5 more days. That was because I'm looking for comfort in my old comfort foods. Ive laid low today and slept most of the day. I'm hopeful tomorrow I will wake up with a renewed energy as I have a lot to do tomorrow. For now the day and it's eating is over and I will read before I take NyQuil. Gnnight only 6 more days!

Hi guys! I having that big nsv- I feel so much slimmer! I was looking at some old pictures and my face looks like a puffball! I didn't do before and after pictures, but I did have a portrait taken a few days before I started- guessing that will show a big change. It feels good to know I wear everything in my closet and feel good.

I noticed that the only time this has been hard for me emotionally is when I'm not eating enough- the more I eat, the easier it is! ITs really strange going from feeling guilty about eating a lot to feeling awesome when eating a big, nutritious meal. My boss said yesterday that he was jealous of my lunch!

I know a lot of you mentioned feeling bummed about going out and not having as much fun as you usually have. I totally agree, and it's made me really need to enjoy the company that I'm with and other parts of the experience of going out. I think there are any other things to enjoy when going out- try to focus on those instead of the food- it's really only a small part! It's all helping me better choose how it spend my time and who I spend it with.

I read an article today written by a nutritionist who stopped eating sugar for two weeks, and said it really had no effect- telling everyone it was a pretty pointless endeavor for all the suffering. Of course she was replacing her old deserts with dried fruit, still drinking, and she never mentioned grains at all. Of course it wouldn't do anything! Ok- had to vent- you're probably the only ones who can relate. :)

Hello ladies, and hello day 25!

Pretty puffy and bloated this morning, which is strange, because I've been eating the same things the past few days and I drank about 90oz of water.. maybe just hormonal!

Finding myself craving/fantasizing more about dairy than anything lately... mmmm venti ice nonfat four pump chai...  but I know that that's one of my biggest feel-bad foods, so I'm trying to fight the good fight!  I'll probably reintroduce dairy first, since I'd really like some cheese and I dont want to be "compromised" with grains and whatnot, since dairy is clearly the most important non-complaint thing for me.

Didn't sleep much last night.  Between the moon being so bright it was like a spotlight, to my husband CRANKING up the AC and freezing me practically to death, and him being a jerk (ahh marraige), I only got a few hours.  Lots of tea for me today!

I'm pretty sure our coffee/tea is going to be too sweet once we start adding sugar to it again.  I'm curious to see what everyone things on day 31!!

M1: sauteed mushrooms, 3 fried eggs (i was hungrier than usual this morning!), packet (1.15oz) of Justin's almond butter

M2: hamburger patty with pickles and mustard, carrots w/ avo

M3: who knows.  I have some pork belly thawing in the fridge, so maybe I'll play around with that.

Have a great day, everyone, and to all my fellow West Coasters - stay cool, stay hydrated!  B)

I'm pretty sure our coffee/tea is going to be too sweat once we start adding sugar to it again.  I'm curious to see what everyone things on day 31!!

I'm curious as well.  I plan to introduce dairy first as well on day 31.  I am planning on starting with some cheese (I love cheese and hope I can eat it at least in moderation).  Then a couple days later I think I'll try some wheat thins.  I am planning on doing a paleo diet as a life style after Whole30.  I don't things will change much in how I eat now other than being able to eat paleo "treats" occasionally.  And being able to make paleo approved but no Whole30 approved things.  I have a SERIOUS addiction to sugar.  That's been the best thing about my Whole30 is my ability to stay away from sugar.  Honestly, I am scared to death to eat anything with sugar again.  At least not for the foreseeable future as I don't think I can trust myself with it yet.

Good morning gals! Happy day 25. So I am officly battling some sinus thing. Slept a good portion of yesterday with a horrible headache that nothing would help. Slept through the night. No headache this morning but still super stuffy so I powered through and had a great workout. Headed out to lunch with an previous boyfriend whom I have a lot of history with and whom I will always love. I have previewed the menu and looks like I will be able to eat the salads. I am bringing my own oil and balsamic vinegar and I will have either a soda water or ice tea. I too am a sugar addict and I too am fearful of eating it. My teaching partner text me this morning saying she was going to try whole 30!! She is already saying she can't do it but I know she can. One thing I've learned is you really have to read the rules before so you get the maximum benefits. When I do an official round 2 late July I will consider complelty eliminating nuts. On a great note 5 more days until I move! I'm excited about having my own space again.

We're in the home stretch, people! How exciting is that?

I'm feeling good and not having to think about food as much any more, which is a welcome relief.  Now just planning my reintro strategy.  The only things I really am missing are cheese and non-gluten grains, so I will see what happens when I add them in.  Everything else can stay away for awhile (or forever)!

good morning happy day 26 and day before July 4th. Yesterday was an emotional roller coaster and one of those day I am glad came to an end. I had mentioned I was going to lunch with an old love. When I got there he had his friend there too. He was just so different than i remember and I felt like he wasn't even paying attention to me. He was just worried about his buddy and what his buddy thought. He ended up telling me that I embarrasesed him by asking him a question about his earrings and making jokes. My jaw hit the floor! I was like what are you talking about. I was just being myself and his friend was cool. I was so shocked and quiet frankly it made me very mad so I thanked him for lunch and left! I had a grilled chicken salad and brought my own dressing.I am so proud that I took care of myself and set a boundary for his ridicoulous behavior. But when i got home I noticed my 18 year old diabetic cat was in hypoglicemia and literally near death. She had urinated all over my bed because she couldn't get up and was had  not function of her limbs. I grabbed the Karo syrup and administered it to her immediately. I got her to eat and in a hour had raised her blood sugar from 58 to 100. IT was so scary. She hasn't had an episode since she was first diagnosed in 2006. The vet can't believe she has lived so long with diabetes. If I hadn't have left the lunch early i am most certain my kitty would have died. So there is a silver lining in it all. Through it all I stayed compliant. I was able to make it to my spin class where I gave it my all and got lost in the workout which felt good. Last night I went to Target and NSV the junk didn't call me. I was with the guy that I am seeing (unexlusively) and he was choosing things that aren't compliant for me although not unhealthy. I felt very strong and not like I was white knuckling it. Crazy that I miss the crunch and texture of grains. I felt myself showing him how sugar is in everything. Did you know they put sugar in Mayo?! Why? Anyways I have a big barbecue tomorrow with all my friends and I am staying compliant no matter what! I can't wait to say i completed the whole 30 and keep going!! Have a great day 26

Sarah

Happy 4th of July! We only have 5 days to go... wow!  Difficult to believe. A few questions --

what is the acronym "NSV"? Many people use it but it wasn't listed in the Acronym forum. I did a search for it in the forum but the reply stated it was not allowed?? Not sure why not  :unsure:

What do people think about sweet potatoes - should they be limited because of the starch content. I don't feel I have lost any weight and I tend to eat too many ( 1 per day ). I'm wondering if they are one of the reasons. I stopped almond butter, too, as I was probably overdoing that, also.

I do plan to continue after Tuesday as right now I don't have any cravings and am afraid I will start having them as soon as I introduce a non-compliant food.The only food I think (now) that I would introduce would be a small ice-cream cone! My favorite. But I will wait until I feel it is really worth it. I made the chicken hash in the Whole30 book - it was ok. I didn't have the spinach or arugula that I think it really needed, so I will make it again with everything it needs.

Thanks in advance for the answer to my questions.

Enjoy your weekend festivities   :)

Good morning ladies. Can you believe we are already at day 27? Seems like it was just day 1 yesterday. Now it feels like part of my life. I know many of us including myself will be put to the test today with barbecues and events. I am going to a bbq and pool bash at 1. I am so committed to myself that Im willing to say no. My mom commented on how she notices the changes in my body. We can abstain from food that do not support our goal. I find it easier when i do not drink. I am actually excited about not being bloated or hungover. I can still have a great time and rock my new bikini :) Confidence is key! I am going to hit the gym for a nice easy walk on the treadmill and some core work before I go. I have decided not to take the guy i am dating to the bbq. It is too soon and too much. Too many people. We will watch fireworks together later. 3 more days till i get to move. woohoo

Good luck today and stay strong we've made it this far! 

Sarah

• Moderators

Happy 4th of July! We only have 5 days to go... wow! Difficult to believe. A few questions --

what is the acronym "NSV"? Many people use it but it wasn't listed in the Acronym forum. I did a search for it in the forum but the reply stated it was not allowed?? Not sure why not :unsure:

What do people think about sweet potatoes - should they be limited because of the starch content. I don't feel I have lost any weight and I tend to eat too many ( 1 per day ). I'm wondering if they are one of the reasons. I stopped almond butter, too, as I was probably overdoing that, also.

I do plan to continue after Tuesday as right now I don't have any cravings and am afraid I will start having them as soon as I introduce a non-compliant food.The only food I think (now) that I would introduce would be a small ice-cream cone! My favorite. But I will wait until I feel it is really worth it. I made the chicken hash in the Whole30 book - it was ok. I didn't have the spinach or arugula that I think it really needed, so I will make it again with everything it needs.

Thanks in advance for the answer to my questions.

Enjoy your weekend festivities :)

As mentioned above, nsv is non-scale victory. As for the search not being allowed, frankly the search function on the site is not very good. It will not search for terms of three letters or less. In general, the best way to search is to use Google -- search for whole30 forum plus whatever you're looking for, so whole30 forum nsv.

As for the sweet potatoes, if you do decide to cut back on them, pay attention to your moods. Some people find that having at least one serving of starchy vegetable of some kind helps keep them from feeling depressed or anxious, so if you're at all prone to those feelings anyway, definitely watch for those feelings and adjust accordingly.

As for why you may not be losing weight, if you post in the troubleshooting section of the forum a couple of days' worth of food including approximate portion sizes, exercise, and water intake, we may be able to offer suggestions.

I have been traveling this weekend, so we ate out and stopped at relatives. Has been challenging a time or two. Cracker Barrel did not work out, they actually sugared the steak I ordered. Perkins was very nice and made me a yummy bunless burger with all the veggies plus a fried egg and fresh fruit for the side.

I have firmly committed myself to another 30 before reintroducing any foods but I will be watching to see how everyone does with their reintroductions. :-)

Congratulations on hanging on and sticking with the program, it is SO worth it for me!

good morning and day 28. Im little bummed because for some reason i thought my whole 30 was over july 7 but technically it ends july 8th. Yesterday was a challenge. I went to a pool party/bbq and the only compliant food they had was fruit and boy did i eat it. I had water eveyone else had alcohol. That part was no big deal. But the fruit set me up to be hungry and devour my other food. We went to a restaurant and i had the most delicious salmon salad. I felt like an mad dog protecting her food. I was just shoveling it in. I did not eat any of the bread on the table which smelled so good. The urge only lasted a few seconds until i distracted myself.  But i notice I don't fill up and I was still hungry. So this is where the trouble happened.I got home and felt myself searching for more. I had a blueberry lara bar, 2 hardboiled eggs, and banana/blueberry/almondslices/coconut slices in almond milk. I was just set up craving!!! I know it is because of the fruit. Lesson Learned. On a great note I wore my new bikini and i felt really good. So here is too a day filled with meals that are balanced. Off to spiritual center and then the gym. Have my walk through tomorrow!!!

Sarah

day 29...where did everyone go???? Up early ugh but have a big busy day. Last night I ate my dinner ( compliant chipotle with my own onion, peppers, mushrooms) kinda fast and with a kambucha and it left me soo full. It was the firs time I felt "bloated" or too full. I did not like it. Oh well lesson learned. I was surprised by my guy with the new book i wanted woohoo!! Today is a big day for me. Gym, walk through on my new condo, and my friends 30th. 

NSV- So I had thought that we were done tomorrow but 31 is on wednesday. My friend is have a beer tasting birthday bash and was set on my drinking at midnight. I knew i didn't want to so I sent her a private (away from the group text) text yesterday stating how important my commitment was to me and how although i would not be drinking i would be there and participating in the fun!! Why are people so threatened or up set that Im not drinking. I did feel that I may have been over sharing this whole 30 thing with them and they just felt i was being snotty. I still feel good that i set that boundary and I am hopeful that i do not get harassed. I am in charge of bringing the "healthy snacks lol" I was thinking about a veggie tray, fruit, apple chips, and maybe an isralie salad i saw on pinterest. We shall see. Hope everyone is hanging in there and ready to celebrate our amazing success!!

Sarah

Day 29!  I can't believe it!  Sorry I haven't been here as often....things have just started to feel so "easy" and normal following the Whole30 that I forget sometimes that it is a challenge. 

If you're still with us and are looking forward to completing the challenge tomorrow, let us know!  Let's get a roll call of soon to be "graduates" so we can celebrate ourselves!

Archived