Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

Day 3 check in... went into work today ( I'm a teacher on the first few days of summer break). We planned all day and i brought all of my food like usual. I did a shoulders work out and spinning after. So I was hungry when i got home from the gym. Post WO i had a banana and almond butter. For breakfast i had 3 mini egg fritatas with half an avocado and coffee with coconut cream. When  I got to work felt slightly hungry but could have held out. I opted to eat my Lara bar. Then  about an hour later I had chicken breast with cashews. For lunch I ate last nights dinner chicken apple sausage (costco) and sweet potato hash and spincah with strawberries and balsamic. I have felt bloated all day :( Afternoon snack was carrots with whole 30 ranch. I came home and took a long nap! I felt like I was more grazing today instead of honoring my true hunger the past two days. I am about to go to the gym to walk on the treadmill. I am currently not hungry. Tomorrow will be my first official sleep in day woohoo and my body will be adjusting to the new summer schedule. I am grateful for the awareness of true hunger verses the other hunger. Hope everyone else had an awesome day 3! Remember failure is not an option. I love clicking the Ive finished day 3 button at the bottom of the whole 30 daily email ( if you subscribe) and marking it off my calendar. 

Im more so doing this to honor myself and my commitment. I have always struggled with commitment especially to myself.

Sarah

Hi Sarah - aim for protein & starchy carbs for postWO. Fruit will only serve to restore liver glycogen stores when you want to be restoring muscle glycogen. Also the fat will stop your muscles from absorbing any nutrients - nuts are a fat source on Whole30, not a protein.

If you're finding the need to snack increase the size of your meals. Your digestive system needs time to rest, and you will see much better results if you allow this to happen.

Larabars are only for true emergencies - like stuck in the traffic for six hours with no gas station in sight for 10 miles in either direction emergencies. Fill up on proper food.

It always takes a few days to figure out what will keep you full for 4-5hrs - just err on the big side to be sure!

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG klack, I SO want to step on the scale. Have moved it twice so I don't see it when I walk in the bathroom or open the closet. I'm thinking of having my husband hide it. :-)

Anyone else having mood swings? I am swinging from Smiley and joking to wanting to top my coworkers heads off for breathing.

Other than that I'm feeling better today, still dragging a bit but more energy than the last two days. Looking forward to my protein salad for lunch.

I'm glad everyone is feeling great, but, sadly, I'm not!  I have been very tired.  I had to take a nap yesterday, which, I never do.  I don't feel great emotionally either.  ( I am premenstrual, I will admit)  

I'm having bone broth with chicken and veggies for breakfast

salad with chicken and olive oil for lunch.

Not sure about dinner, but, have been trying to have a large serving of sweet potato with dinner so that my carbs don't go too low. 

iluv, how are you doing?  I hope you're feeling better!

OMG klack, I SO want to step on the scale. Have moved it twice so I don't see it when I walk in the bathroom or open the closet. I'm thinking of having my husband hide it. :-)

Anyone else having mood swings? I am swinging from Smiley and joking to wanting to top my coworkers heads off for breathing.

Other than that I'm feeling better today, still dragging a bit but more energy than the last two days. Looking forward to my protein salad for lunch.

I'm swinging, definitely.  And more emotional, too - a minor problem occurred yesterday and I flipped out.  Thank god for an understanding husband!

I feel for you guys - I'm the same!  Still really tired and head-foggy, super happy then moody... definitely taking a nap over lunch again.  Let's all strive not to kill our coworkers this week, shall we?  lol I'd hate to hear one of us ended up in the pen because of Whole30.

Last night I made salmon cakes with asparagus sauteed in bacon fat (note: sugar-free bacon is kind of gross) with a couple peices of cantaloupe - best meal yet!! 

Here's the lineup for today:

M1: leftover salmon cakes w/ asparagus, 2 fried eggs, cantaloupe

M2: tuna salad w/ tomato, carrots and ranch dip

M3: still working on it.

My husband is off today, so he's going to go the local butcher shop and see what he can find for us.  He says he's doing the program, but last night I caught him eating string cheese and there was half an open soda in the fridge.  But hey, at least he's eating some of the meals I'm making, so he's being much healthier.

Who else is struggling with things to DRINK??  I'm not a coffee person to being with, but a ton of cream and sugar made it OK. :)  I've always been a tea drinker, so I got a couple new blends, but I'm seriously missing my afternoon diet coke!!!  Doing hot tea in the mornings, sparkling mineral water/La Criox in the afternoons/evenings. Any fun drink recipes (besides the ones in the book) would be appreciated!!

Jeez my posts are long - sorry! - glad to hear we're all still hanging in there!  REMEMBER: it's all about attitude.  We can do this.  We are worth it.  We owe it to ourselves!!!!!

Hey ladies!  Here we are on day 4 - a tenth of the way done! :D Having you all as support is definitely making things easier for me.

I had a hard time getting up this morning but other than that am feeling OK.  I'm gearing up for the weekend, which is always the biggest source of temptation for me....I've planned it out and will stay the course.  Today I'm having spinach frittata with turkey sausage, a chicken, sweet potato and sauteed veg for lunch, and a bunless burger with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and roasted potatoes for dinner. 

Having a hard time staying away from the scale...is anyone else? 

I'm curious about the scale too!

I'm trying to focus on the changes I'm already seeing/feeling in my body, my end of the day belly bloat has almost completely gone away and pants I wore today that I last had on over the weekend are a little less confining :) I'm sure this is mostly due to water weight (judging by how many times I have to get up at night to use the restroom!) but it still makes me feel better!

Checking in after the first few days! It's fun to read what everyone else is eating and going through :)  Everything is going well... the food I've been making is delicious!... however I was definitely more tired and cranky yesterday.  I've been having 2 eggs with spinach sauteed in coconut oil and a serving of fruit for meal ones, big protein salads for meal twos, and have been mixing up meal threes... I've made salmon cakes (had them twice since I doubled the recipe), spaghetti squash with meat sauce, and plan on making the chimichurri beef kabobs with green cabbage slaw tonight!

Who else is struggling with things to DRINK??  I'm not a coffee person to being with, but a ton of cream and sugar made it OK. :)  I've always been a tea drinker, so I got a couple new blends, but I'm seriously missing my afternoon diet coke!!!  Doing hot tea in the mornings, sparkling mineral water/La Criox in the afternoons/evenings. Any fun drink recipes (besides the ones in the book) would be appreciated!!

I was looking at the nom nom paleo blog last night and there was a recent post about a watermelon coconut cooler that looked tasty! Here's the link http://nomnompaleo.com/post/120540243613/watermelon-coconut-cooler 

I'm struggling today with food boredom already. Before Whole 30 I was a 5-6 small meal a day eater and a typical meal would be 3 oz of grillled chicken, 1/4 c whole grain brown rice, and 1 cup veggies. On Whole 30 I'm eating the same thing in larger quantities (which is HARD) minus the brown rice. I hate eggs so breakfast has been hard. Breakfast used to by my favorite meal of the day which usually was a protein banana or pumpkin pancake or 1/2 sprouted Eziekel muffin with 1 T of natural peanut butter. This morning, I could not eat eggs so I made a coconut milk, blueberry, and walnut smoothie. I know smoothies are not considered a meal, but I just could not eat eggs and having any type of meat product first thing in the morning does not appeal to me. I'm battling fatigue and malaise. I'm sure I'm not eating enough calories. My lunch today is 4 oz grilled chicken, 1 cup roasted zuchinni, 1 cup sweet potatoes roasted, 1/2 apple, 1 T almond butter. Dinner is perfect hamburger patty with portabello mushroom "bun" with 1/2 avocado and 1/2 sweet potato and steamed green beans with sliced almonds.

• Administrators

Tip: I'm doing fruits more for the vitamins for the baby, but first time I had to avoid them as they made me crave sugar

There is nothing in fruit that you cannot get in greater quantities from vegetables.  The baby doesn't need fructose so as long as you are eating a good quantity and variety of veggies, you are free to leave the fruit off.

• Administrators

Hi friends!! I have definitely been hungry and eating, eating, eating...all compliant meals and snacks. I am an athlete and not really worried about the not snacking issue as my body is signalling me with true hunger feelings. Its amazing how when I consumed grains, sugar, and dairy I wasn't ever really "hungry" meaning I never felt hunger but not Im feeling it so strong. Always day 2 is going well. This morning I felt so tired. I am still drinking coffee just black with almond milk instead of my beloved vanilla creamer and stevia. I work out in the morning before breakfast and I also am used to taking a pre workout supplement for the gym which Ive committed to not take while on the whole 30. I felt like I had more energy today than yesterday. Now is the challenging hours between now and bed when sugar monster comes calling. My plan is to prep the whole 30 mayo for dressings and make a sausage and sweetpotatoe hash for breakfasts. Dinner will be protein salad and nothing sweet afterwards  :o  :o . the biggest struggle I have. 

Failure is NOT an option...

Whether you are an athlete or not, your digestive system needs to rest between meals and snacking doesn't allow for that.  

We recommend you eat your three meals around 4-5 hours apart and make them large enough that you don't get hungry.  If you do get hungry in between and feel like you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli, eat a mini meal containing at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.

Don't forget that when your body screams for something sweet and you give it fruit (especially something super dense like a banana), it got what it wanted and you are left with a Sugar Dragon that is alive and well.  Just something to think about.

• Administrators

Funny story - went to make the salmon cakes last night - got out everything that I needed, opened the first can of salmon (the monster 14oz ones from Whole Foods) and what's in the can??  A SPINE.  Apparently I bought the "includes skin and bones!" type, not even realizing there would be options!  Tried to deal with it by de-boning using a fork, but it was just too gross and time-consuming.

If you mash that can of salmon with skin and bones together (as in, to make the cakes), you would never even notice that they were in there....but you get a nutrient powerhouse!  In my house we fight over who gets to eat the spine out of the can....and last night the hubby got a can that had two and thought he'd won the lottery!  Just takes some getting used to.  ;)

This morning, I could not eat eggs so I made a coconut milk, blueberry, and walnut smoothie. I know smoothies are not considered a meal, but I just could not eat eggs and having any type of meat product first thing in the morning does not appeal to me. I'm battling fatigue and malaise. I'm sure I'm not eating enough calories. 

You're battling fatigue & malaise because you started your day with a sugar hit, which is entirely the wrong approach when your cortisol levels are at their peak having fasted overnight. Stop thinking of it as breakfast and start thinking of it as meal one and you can eat ANYTHING you'd eat at any other time of the day, like those hamburger patties for instance.

I get that this is a big departure from how you used to eat, but if you want the magic to happen you really have to follow the template, and don't let fruit be your crutch.

Smoothies are discouraged not just because of the high sugar hit, but also because it is the act of chewing which begins the digestive process, and so drinking, rather than chewing sends a different signal to your brain leaving you less satiated.

Honestly, give meal one a proper chance - it will go a long way to improving how you feel.

• Administrators

I'm struggling today with food boredom already. Before Whole 30 I was a 5-6 small meal a day eater and a typical meal would be 3 oz of grillled chicken, 1/4 c whole grain brown rice, and 1 cup veggies. On Whole 30 I'm eating the same thing in larger quantities (which is HARD) minus the brown rice. I hate eggs so breakfast has been hard. Breakfast used to by my favorite meal of the day which usually was a protein banana or pumpkin pancake or 1/2 sprouted Eziekel muffin with 1 T of natural peanut butter. This morning, I could not eat eggs so I made a coconut milk, blueberry, and walnut smoothie. I know smoothies are not considered a meal, but I just could not eat eggs and having any type of meat product first thing in the morning does not appeal to me. I'm battling fatigue and malaise. I'm sure I'm not eating enough calories. My lunch today is 4 oz grilled chicken, 1 cup roasted zuchinni, 1 cup sweet potatoes roasted, 1/2 apple, 1 T almond butter. Dinner is perfect hamburger patty with portabello mushroom "bun" with 1/2 avocado and 1/2 sweet potato and steamed green beans with sliced almonds.

Hey Tracy, why are you still weighing your proteins? How does "4 oz" equate to the palm of your own hand (length, width and thickness)?

Regarding smoothies:  Nothing about blended liquid food is going to get you where you want to go.  It is marketing hype that declared smoothies as healthy foods when really, how your body processes it is no different than drinking a milk shake.  But more dangerous because at least with a milk shake you KNOW it's not good for you.  The sugars that are released and so quickly absorbed in blended foods and the pulverized fibre and the fact that you can get SO much more food into yourself when you drink it all puts them on the "please, please don't" list.  Also, when we have people who need to gain weight on Whole30? We tell them to drink a smoothie a day.  To gain weight.  ;)  

Plus, you can't train your body to accept protein and fat in the morning by giving it something liquid and sweet.  We really, really discourage smoothies.  You miss out on the protein and end up getting a major hit of sugars.

Hello all. I started June 8th and it's going great, but I've been here before....this is my third attempt. I usually get through the first two weeks and then falter. The worse part is that the faltering is usually due to a celebration and I feel great and then wine and the next day....blah. I've never tried it with support before,if fact this is my first forum ever! I' hoping to approach it differently and break out of my 2week rut...I'll be here reading everyday and posting too. Cheers everyone and good luck to us.

Tracy, maybe you're tired because of the transition of burning protein for fuel instead of carbs (even as in your case they were healthy carbs), I read that can happen in the Whole30 book? I would only be worried about not getting enough to eat if you aren't getting in your protein. Hopefully if that's the case and it will get better in a few days.

I'm having a hard time with eggs, and protein in general in the morning too. Sometimes it takes me a half hour to eat my omelette but I try to eat that before any fruit.

Day 3 check in... went into work today ( I'm a teacher on the first few days of summer break). We planned all day and i brought all of my food like usual. I did a shoulders work out and spinning after. So I was hungry when i got home from the gym. Post WO i had a banana and almond butter. For breakfast i had 3 mini egg fritatas with half an avocado and coffee with coconut cream. When  I got to work felt slightly hungry but could have held out. I opted to eat my Lara bar. Then  about an hour later I had chicken breast with cashews. For lunch I ate last nights dinner chicken apple sausage (costco) and sweet potato hash and spincah with strawberries and balsamic. I have felt bloated all day :( Afternoon snack was carrots with whole 30 ranch. I came home and took a long nap! I felt like I was more grazing today instead of honoring my true hunger the past two days. I am about to go to the gym to walk on the treadmill. I am currently not hungry. Tomorrow will be my first official sleep in day woohoo and my body will be adjusting to the new summer schedule. I am grateful for the awareness of true hunger verses the other hunger. Hope everyone else had an awesome day 3! Remember failure is not an option. I love clicking the Ive finished day 3 button at the bottom of the whole 30 daily email ( if you subscribe) and marking it off my calendar. 

Im more so doing this to honor myself and my commitment. I have always struggled with commitment especially to myself.

Sarah

There's a  new update about Larabars, Sarah.   

http://whole30.com/2015/06/future/

You might find this helpful.   It's recent as of June 4, 2015. 

"Going forward, we will no longer promote any dried-fruit-and-nut bars under our official Whole30 Approved program. The only bars to which we will lend our name and our logo are those with meat as a base (like Primal Pacs, Chomps, and Epic Bars), as those will never be mistaken for candy."

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/06/future/#sthash.q7kGXIpC.dpuf

You're battling fatigue & malaise because you started your day with a sugar hit, which is entirely the wrong approach when your cortisol levels are at their peak having fasted overnight. Stop thinking of it as breakfast and start thinking of it as meal one and you can eat ANYTHING you'd eat at any other time of the day, like those hamburger patties for instance.

I get that this is a big departure from how you used to eat, but if you want the magic to happen you really have to follow the template, and don't let fruit be your crutch.

Smoothies are discouraged not just because of the high sugar hit, but also because it is the act of chewing which begins the digestive process, and so drinking, rather than chewing sends a different signal to your brain leaving you less satiated.

Honestly, give meal one a proper chance - it will go a long way to improving how you feel.

Thanks jmcbn for responding. Breakfast is really hard since I don't like eggs and can't stomach meat in the morning. I'm allergic to garlic and so far the compliant turkey sausages I've found all have garlic! I ended up tossing out over 1/2 of the smoothie and running to Whole Foods and the only compliant foods I could find on their breakfast bar was plain scrambled eggs and roasted sweet potatoes. Which I ate, since I had to eat something. I'm already dreading tomorrow morning. Obviously I'm on Day 4 and want to Kill All Things. I actually cried at the breakfast bar at WF when I got excited to see turkey sausage.....and then I read the lable......TURBINADO SUGAR! I literally cried.

M1: 1/2 of a smoothie, scrambled eggs, sweet potato

M2: chicken breast, roasted squash/zuchinni, sweet potato, apple slices, 1 T almond butter

Pre WO: 1 hard boiled egg

Post WO: Not sure yet.

Dinner: meat patty, grilled veggie kebabs, 1/2 avocado

I'm so hungry right now, I'm counting down the seconds until I can eat the hardboiled egg before my HIIT workout.

Honestly, I've never been a foodie and I'm hating food right now.

Day 4 and I am feeling soon emotional!!!

Day 4 for me too and I'm with you. I cried at the Whole Food breakfast bar when I read the label on the turkey sausages contained sugar. Really?! I ate plain scrambled eggs. So unsatisfying. So far I've learned on this journey that you really do have to read every label. I got excited to find unsweet coconut yogurt.......only to read it contains careegean. Shoot. That's out! I can't quite wrap my brain around eating non-breakfast foods for breakfast, but that soon may happen since I hate eggs, can't have a protein shake or a smoothie and I have to eat something. Day 4.......looking forward to Day 5.

Hey Tracy, why are you still weighing your proteins? How does "4 oz" equate to the palm of your own hand (length, width and thickness)?

Regarding smoothies:  Nothing about blended liquid food is going to get you where you want to go.  It is marketing hype that declared smoothies as healthy foods when really, how your body processes it is no different than drinking a milk shake.  But more dangerous because at least with a milk shake you KNOW it's not good for you.  The sugars that are released and so quickly absorbed in blended foods and the pulverized fibre and the fact that you can get SO much more food into yourself when you drink it all puts them on the "please, please don't" list.  Also, when we have people who need to gain weight on Whole30? We tell them to drink a smoothie a day.  To gain weight.  ;)  

Plus, you can't train your body to accept protein and fat in the morning by giving it something liquid and sweet.  We really, really discourage smoothies.  You miss out on the protein and end up getting a major hit of sugars.

I'm not technically weighing, but I've weighed food for so many years, that I can hold a cooked chicken breast in my hand and know almost exactly how many oz it is. LOL. It's a talent. ;-) I totally get the smoothie thing, I really do. In a moment of "I'm not eating eggs, I'm not eating a hamburger patty, I'm not eating chicken, fish, etc....." it was an attempt to eat something before I had to leave for work. I did stop by Whole Foods on my way in and the only compliant food I could find from their hot breakfast bar was EGGS! I ate them. It took an hour to eat them, but I ate them.

Tomorrow is another day. ;-)

I can't quite wrap my brain around eating non-breakfast foods for breakfast, but that soon may happen since I hate eggs, can't have a protein shake or a smoothie and I have to eat something.

The whole not-breakfast-food-for-breakfast thing is weird to me, too, but I had salmon patties today, and that was OK.  Salmon is sort of brunch-y, you know?  The diner breakfast recipe in the book is a nice egg-free breakfast, too (you know, if you just have the sausauge and hash lol), that's a lot like breakfast (it's sort of my IHOP order).

This is my breakfast for tomorrow:  sauteed diced potatoes with onion, add some spinach to wilt (and S&P), turkey sausage patties (the recipe in the book is awesome with ground turkey)

Hope this helps!

I'm sure you guys will find something... hang in there!!!

Archived