Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For you folks I see having trouble with breakfast  because you don't like eggs and not finding compliant sausage, have you considered buying ground pork  (or turkey) and seasoning it yourself?  Our local grocers have a very nice ground sausage and that breakfast sausage recipe with the diced apples in it is pretty darn tasty.  My personal favorite is to saute some mushrooms and onions with paprika, a little garlic powder, salt and pepper to mix in with the pork, which I have already seasoned with some sage, salt, and pepper.  A little red pepper flake if I'm feeling the need for exta zing. :)

My "emergency snack" is now a snack baggie with a handful of cashews in it.  I have not needed to use it today, wasn't feeling hungry between meals, but have it just in case.  For all us moody and/or just plain emotional types, consider the cashew is a natural mood elevator - might want to think about adding some into your salads or keep at the ready for emergency.

I made it through the day without maiming anyone, had pre-warned my hubby that I am in the cranky stage so he's giving me space and putting together my 2nd exercise machine.  (He already did the elliptical over the weekend, bless his heart)

Keep reading the timeline, this stage will pass.  It will get better and it will be worth it.  We can do this! :)

Still having interesting noises come from midsection and am fairly tired, but not so completely fatigued like I was day 2 and day 3.  Just took my sweet potatoes for tomorrow's salad out of the oven and have squash baked with a little ghee and cinnamon cooling while the broccoli cooks.  Kitchen smells lovely with the cinnamon smell.

• Administrators

My "emergency snack" is now a snack baggie with a handful of cashews in it.  I have not needed to use it today, wasn't feeling hungry between meals, but have it just in case.  For all us moody and/or just plain emotional types, consider the cashew is a natural mood elevator - might want to think about adding some into your salads or keep at the ready for emergency.

That breakfast sausage mixture sounds delightful and I will be trying that one asap!

A note about nuts. They aren't the best thing to be eating by themselves. Yes, in the event of an absolute emergency they would be OK, but if you had the forethought to bring a baggie of cashews you could just as easily have grabbed a can of sardines or a hard boiled egg. Nuts are hard on the stomach for many folks, are imbalanced in their Omega ratios and they can be a food that is far too easy to overeat once you start. Regarding the cashews, I've never heard anyone say that they are a natural mood elevator but they do have a fair amount of carbohydrates in them (the most of any nut) so that could be what's doing it.

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, I just wanted to point out that we wouldn't necessarily recommend a baggie of nuts as a mood elevator.

Hi all! Great day 4! Had leftovers so no cooking today yay! Only for dinner we cooked some tuna filets which took 5 minutes and left some for tomorrow's lunch!

Today I was very hungry during the morning... Had a tomatoes egg and avocado salad for breakfast but was still hungry so ate grapes and pumpkin seeds but still hungry so had some carrots with almond butter then finally felt satisfied... But it is probably the pregnancy so I won't blame it on the day 4!

Last night we both slept sooo good! And the energy also feels amazing!

Gathering recipes for next week, tomorrow going to whole foods to stock up!

Good job all! Ready for day 5!

Regarding the cashews, I didn't just dream it up myself, lol. The information is on Livestrong and this quote from an article on ezinearticles.com, title "7 foods that heal depression and mental illness" - "

• Eat food with tryptophan. Cashew, chicken and turkey and generally nuts are all high in tryptophen. A couple of handful of cashew nuts will treat the body for depression, naturally, the same as a prescription dose of prozac. Cashew nuts are fattening, I know, but cashew nuts are a meal by themselves, you will not be hungry after eating two handfuls of cashews. And besides, who cares about getting fat if you can get rid of depression. And that leads me to nutrition number 6:

Also, the baggie in mention is a "snack size" which holds just about that closed handful.  Sardines? Ick.  And after days of travelling around in my backpack on a construction site, I don't think the boiled egg would be in very good shape. 

In the meantime, my cashews will ride around with me in case I need them and make the allowable "good fat" in the occasional protein salad I carry fun lunch, as suggested in the book.

On another note, finished up day 4 without murdering anyone but managed to brand the palm of my hand while cooking with a little fatigue and brain fog going on.  Was prepping my protein for tomorrow, "perfectly seared chicken," and after bringing the oven safe skillet out of the oven sat it on the stovetop. Turned to check the squash I had just done and noticed I had left the handle of the skillet sticking out over the edge of the stove, so reached over to turn it to a more safe position - without a potholder. 

Thanks jmcbn for responding. Breakfast is really hard since I don't like eggs and can't stomach meat in the morning. I'm allergic to garlic and so far the compliant turkey sausages I've found all have garlic! I ended up tossing out over 1/2 of the smoothie and running to Whole Foods and the only compliant foods I could find on their breakfast bar was plain scrambled eggs and roasted sweet potatoes. Which I ate, since I had to eat something. I'm already dreading tomorrow morning. Obviously I'm on Day 4 and want to Kill All Things. I actually cried at the breakfast bar at WF when I got excited to see turkey sausage.....and then I read the lable......TURBINADO SUGAR! I literally cried.

M1: 1/2 of a smoothie, scrambled eggs, sweet potato

M2: chicken breast, roasted squash/zuchinni, sweet potato, apple slices, 1 T almond butter

Pre WO: 1 hard boiled egg

Post WO: Not sure yet.

Dinner: meat patty, grilled veggie kebabs, 1/2 avocado

I'm so hungry right now, I'm counting down the seconds until I can eat the hardboiled egg before my HIIT workout.

Honestly, I've never been a foodie and I'm hating food right now.

Meal one does not have to resemble a traditional SAD breakfast. You need to start thinking outside of the box. Try blended soups for a wayof getting vegetables in. Add some curry powder & coconut milk for flavour & fat. You could eat that with a side of hamburger patty, or some roasted chicken. Or you could have something like a chicken korma curry served over cauliflower rice - the cocnut sweetness of the stomach is gentle on the stomach early in the morning. Use spices like cinnamon, nutmeg  ground cloves to give a sweet spced flavour to your meats..... The options really are endless if you look at this from the right angle.

Regarding the cashews, I didn't just dream it up myself, lol. The information is on Livestrong and this quote from an article on ezinearticles.com, title "7 foods that heal depression and mental illness" - "

• Eat food with tryptophan. Cashew, chicken and turkey and generally nuts are all high in tryptophen. A couple of handful of cashew nuts will treat the body for depression, naturally, the same as a prescription dose of prozac. Cashew nuts are fattening, I know, but cashew nuts are a meal by themselves, you will not be hungry after eating two handfuls of cashews. And besides, who cares about getting fat if you can get rid of depression. And that leads me to nutrition number 6:

Starchy veg will do exactly the same thing and provide much more in terms of nutrients. If you're looking for portable emergency food you'd be better off with a compliant jerky.

Day 5!!!!  We've made it to the end of work week #1. 

Feeling pretty good - still tired, definitely grouchy - but not bloated or headachy.  Yelled at my husband quite a bit last night, but he can take it ^_^   Made a taco frittata for dinner using seasoned ground beef (S&P, cumin, cayanne), onion, olives, green chilies, spinach.  Fantastic!

Here's my menu for the day:

M1: sauteed potatoes and onions w/ 3 fried eggs & few bites of cantaloupe

M2: leftover tuna salad over tomato, carrot sticks w/ranch

M3: still working on that... probably another frittata with what's leftover in the fridge.

We're leaving Saturday morning to go out of town for the weekend to my little brother-in-law's high school graduation.  So that will be travelling AND eating out (at a fancy steakhouse in Seattle.. I think I can find something to eat there ;) ) - a little worried about it, but I'm bringing a goodie bag full of veggies, dips, etc, and the mother-in-law knows about my Whole30, so she's got some stuff ready for me to grill.  I'll be OK!

Hope everyone is having a good day - WE GOT THIS!  :D

On another note, finished up day 4 without murdering anyone but managed to brand the palm of my hand while cooking with a little fatigue and brain fog going on.  Was prepping my protein for tomorrow, "perfectly seared chicken," and after bringing the oven safe skillet out of the oven sat it on the stovetop. Turned to check the squash I had just done and noticed I had left the handle of the skillet sticking out over the edge of the stove, so reached over to turn it to a more safe position - without a potholder. 

Yikes!!  Hope you're OK!  I've almost done that about 3 times.  Hang in there!

Guacamole saved my life yesterday! (Not really, but it felt like it!) I had ground beef with homemade taco seasoning with fried (in ghee) onions, yellow peppers and radishes on a bed of spinach for dinner. After a really long day, the last half full of which was full of a monstrous headache, it was just what I needed. 

I haven't been having crazy cravings (although I'm sure that will be tested this weekend), but I've been super tired. Like, drag myself through the day type tired. I did give up coffee cold turkey so that probably contributes to the fatigue and headaches, but I am so ready for this portion of things to be over. 

Fortunately, I haven't wanted to kill all of the things. I thought I'd be super emotional, but so far, so good. I'll take it!

I hope everyone else is doing well! We're... what? 1/6 of the way there! Woo!

Good Morning and happy day 5! I have to say I am so darn proud of myself for making it this far. I truly am taking it one day at a time. From the start of my program I simply told myself I just had to do 1 day 3 times. Now its I only have 5 more times of these 5 days lol. Day 4 recap: I was super emotional today and found myself crying with the new guy Im dating. He seemed oblivious to it lol. Hoping today has less emotions but if it does oh well. I also found brief moments of anger. I was sad to hear about the no more fruit and nut bars but we only have 26 more days so back of the pantry they go! Went to the movies last night and while I haven't eaten at the movies in a long time anyways, there was no desire to have anything!! I wasn't even triggered. I can definitely feel the change in my stomach. No more bloat! TMI alert: I have also never been so regular. Drinking my morning coffee with coconut cream and almond milk really isn't that bad. I do have an inkling to weigh myself but I won't. I have to remind myself This isn't about the weight, its about fixing the issues that poor food choices have caused. I am currently looking for a new place to live and am very excited. I am antipicating the challenges that come along with moving and am preppared!! I will not fail! There is something about ending each day and marking of the fact that I did it on my calendar!! I am more committed to myself than I have ever been!

Happy day 5 friends! We CAN Do this! Im living from the end as if I have already completed this and smashed my goal. Yesterday I treated myself to a new haircut! And on day 7 i have a mani pedi treat! Showing myself love in non food ways!

Sarah

I, too started Monday, the 8th. So far, so good. I can't believe I am actually posting this but I think it will make me more accountable. My (step)daughter is on Day 19 and has been a huge help. She is my "go to" person. I have followed many programs over the years but this one has lots of resources, and seems relatively easy to "live it". Because it does seem easy to follow, I am hoping I am doing it correctly! Looking forward to getting more days done successfully :) 

Ugh feeling really crampy, bloated, and nauseated this afternoon.  First time so far that my tummy is not feeling OK.  I know this too shall pass, but I wonder why it's flaring up now...

Hrmph.  <_<   No one likes to not feel good on a friday!

Ugh feeling really crampy, bloated, and nauseated this afternoon.  First time so far that my tummy is not feeling OK.  I know this too shall pass, but I wonder why it's flaring up now...

Hrmph.  <_<   No one likes to not feel good on a friday!

If you'd like to post a few days worth of food/liquid intake along with stress & activity levels and sleep we could take a look and see if some tweaks might sort that tummy.....

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Happy Fifth Day Friday! Today has been SO much better than Day's 3 and 4. So far today I've eaten:

M1: 2 hard boiled eggs, a juice blend of 1/2 Jazz apple, kale, spinach, and blueberries blended with coconut milk, and a turkey sausage patty (homeade)

M2: perfect hamburger patty, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato

Pre WO: hardboiled egg

4.2 mile run at race pace (9.20 min/mi)

Post WO: ground turkey/kale/carrot/sweet potato mixture

Dinner: Stuffed Red Peppers from W30 book, 1/2 apple with cinnamon, 1 T almond butter

I found drinking Kombucha (GT's Gingerberry and Trilogy are my favorite) help when I'm getting tired of water. I like the fizzy texture and the probiotics are helping with constipation.

Happy Friday!

Hello Day 5! 

I made a yellow plantains + ghee puree and it is so yummy! Ate it for breakfast with eggs and onions.

M2: Tuna steak + salad &evoo

M3: Undecided.... probably whatever is leftover to clean up the fridge

My last w30 I was obsessed with GT Kombucha and Lara Bars.... This time I'm trying to stay away as it gets pretty expensive! And I'm not sure if that 0.5% of alcohol can affect the baby....  but reading about them make me crave them! Cherry is my fav!

I have docs appt next week and they will weight me for sure but I'm not too worried (I know is not allowed) but I don't have anymore weight to lose I'm doing w30 to eat healthy and to get used to it, once I have the baby I will have some pounds to get rid of and is going to be faster and easier this way ;)

Nice Weekend everybody, my 2 friends are starting next week I'm excited to guide them through this cool program!

Happy 5th day! 

If you'd like to post a few days worth of food/liquid intake along with stress & activity levels and sleep we could take a look and see if some tweaks might sort that tummy.....

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Here's as far back as I can remember at present:

Wednesday

M3: Salmon cakes, ½ sweet potato, asparagus sautéed in ghee

Thursday

M1: Salmon cakes, fried egg, asparagus sautéed in ghee, few 1” square pieces of cantaloupe

M2: Tuna Salad (tuna, mayo, capers, shallot, celery, dill), tomato, carrots, ranch dip, few strips of seseme Sea Snax, few 1” square pieces of cantaloupe

M3: Teaspoon of almond butter, 5 egg frittata w/ spinach, seasoned ground beef (S&P, Cumin, Cayanne), onion, green chilies, black olive, topped with salsa

Friday

M1: Fried Eggs, sautéed potatoes in ghee, few 1” square pieces of cantaloupe

M2: Tuna Salad (tuna, mayo, capers, shallot, celery, dill), tomato, carrots, ranch dip, few strips of seseme Sea Snax, few 1” square pieces of cantaloupe

I’ve been drinking hot tea, various flavors of LaCroix, plain sparkling mineral water, and plain ‘ol water.

Stress levels have been OK- couple semi-angry outbursts the last two days, but feeling pretty calm today.  I work in a warehouse and get between 10-14K steps on my pedometer each day, so I dont do much "working out" outside of that.  Sleeping 8-9 hours a night like a rock, very little tossing and turning.

Thanks for your help and input!

Here's as far back as I can remember at present:

Wednesday

M3: Salmon cakes, ½ sweet potato, asparagus sautéed in ghee

Thursday

M1: Salmon cakes, fried egg, asparagus sautéed in ghee, few 1” square pieces of cantaloupe

M3: Teaspoon of almond butter, 5 egg frittata w/ spinach, seasoned ground beef (S&P, Cumin, Cayanne), onion, green chilies, black olive, topped with salsa

Friday

M1: Fried Eggs, sautéed potatoes in ghee, few 1” square pieces of cantaloupe

I’ve been drinking hot tea, various flavors of LaCroix, plain sparkling mineral water, and plain ‘ol water.

Stress levels have been OK- couple semi-angry outbursts the last two days, but feeling pretty calm today.  I work in a warehouse and get between 10-14K steps on my pedometer each day, so I dont do much "working out" outside of that.  Sleeping 8-9 hours a night like a rock, very little tossing and turning.

Thanks for your help and input!

Actually your food looks okay to me. You're sleeping well, and it's not like your sedentary...

I'm wondering if maybe it's the sparkling mineral water that's causing the bloat & the tummy ache? Is this a new thing for you?

Actually your food looks okay to me. You're sleeping well, and it's not like your sedentary...

I'm wondering if maybe it's the sparkling mineral water that's causing the bloat & the tummy ache? Is this a new thing for you?

Yes, it is new to me- that's gotta be it!!  Drinking gas is making me bloated (makes perfect sense!)

Thank you so much - I'll cut back on the sparkling waters and stick with regular.  Thanks, jmcbn!

The fam is having pizza and breadsticks tonight. I made a giant "pizza" salad. Sundried tomatoes, eggs, romain lettuce, pepperoncinis and avocado. YUM! At least I won't feel crappy after eating salad.

Whew! Day 5 done.  I have had the day from heck today, tired, stressed, frazzled beyond belief.  The kind of day that would normally have us stopping to grab take out, or being too tired to make a decision,giving up and eating cereal when we got home, followed by a portable munchy of some sort.  After my mishap last night, I did not sleep well and started off late this morning, no time to make what I'd planned, so threw my leftover veggies from last night into a tupperware dinner box along with a quick sweet  potato mash and a piece of the seared chicken I made last night. It was pretty tasty, actually. (I actually ate the other piece for breakfast with a small piece of the squash from last night.)  In spite of being drug out tired and stressed by a day filled with one "crisis" after another at work and an added family issue, I managed to stay with it.  I was not tempted to snack, my happy cashews are still riding around in my backpack. :)

I was mightily tempted by the bread and cereal aisles when I stopped at the store to get some first aid stuff and restock my eggs (I've used a lot more than I thought I would be, lol).  I stood and looked at the dairy case for several seconds as well but managed to get out of the store with nothing but what I went in for except for a rather decadent body wash/bubble bath.  I'm proud of myself for that!  Going shopping between work and dinner is historically a very bad thing for me.

Since I added the starchy veg back into my meals I have not had much issue with being hungry and haven't had much for cravings other than the dairy case tonight and the cereal aisle.  I expect they will try a surprise comeback in the near future, but for now they are quiet.

The headache was finally gone today, tummy still a little rumbly, but overall I'm feeling pretty good.  After my dinner of "hash" made of the cubed squash I baked last night combined with red peppers, onion, mushroom, and a handful of greens thrown in at the end (spinach, arugula, kale mix) sauteed in coconut oil, bound together with my eggs (I'm tired and I like eggs :D), I am going to go soak in the tub and let this day slide off. And perhaps tomorrow that one coworker who is working my last nerve by crunching loudly in the late afternoon will return to the pleasant woman that she has always been before. ;-)

Day 5 and moving forward - stay with it!  We CAN do this!  We ARE doing this!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3703038

Also, the baggie in mention is a "snack size" which holds just about that closed handful.  Sardines? Ick.  And after days of travelling around in my backpack on a construction site, I don't think the boiled egg would be in very good shape. 

In the meantime, my cashews will ride around with me in case I need them and make the allowable "good fat" in the occasional protein salad I carry fun lunch, as suggested in the book.

Putting the pre-measured cashews in a baggie is a good way to control your portion. For best results on a Whole30, limit the use of nuts as a fat. If you're genuinely hungry between your main meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat.

The fam is having pizza and breadsticks tonight. I made a giant "pizza" salad. Sundried tomatoes, eggs, romain lettuce, pepperoncinis and avocado. YUM! At least I won't feel crappy after eating salad.

Might want to confirm your pepperoncini is compliant: they tend to often contain sulfites in the ingredients.

Archived