Kettlebell Swings Throughout the Day

Magawisca

Greetings All,

I am on day 24 of my W30 & need some advice. I am working on a writing project which requires a lot of sitting. To exercise I get up every so often and do swings, cleans, squats etc. For example, after writing an hour and a half I get up and do 25-30 swings and then I return to my work throughout the day. Sometimes I'll do a set of three. How do I account for this style of exercise in terms of my pre /post work out meals? Thanks!

KW

Great decision to get up and move all throughout the day!  So with periodic movement, do you feel pre/post meals are needed?   Are you hungry?  If you're hungry and are at your healthy setpoint...yes you could.

If you were already used to eating 5 or 6 times aday....will you be using pre/post meals as a continuation of your former eating protocol?  The magic happens when you allow 4-5 hours inbetween meals.... with a sedentary type position.   Periodic exercise of 25-30 swings throughout the day....nice job to get up and move, move, move.   

Why not try  3 compliant meals aday in the beginning and you can always tweak it up.    If you're eating a full breakfast with eggs and other protein,  at least  3 cups of cooked/roasted vegetables, good dietary fats and a fruit thrown in if you want that - try that first.   You can always experiment and add in a pre/post mini meal.   The condition of your health coming into a Whole 30 on Day 1 will improve with each passing day.    You may already be an athlete but you can always add more food into your 3 meals.   

Snacking is not the way to go.   So a pre/post mini meal is greatly preferred over snacks of nuts and dried fruits, nut butters.   Nuts are not to be used as the primary fat source and they're too easy to snack on - all  the live-long-day-and-night.   Dried fruits are a dense sugar bomb. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/too-much-sitting-raises-risk-of-death-even-if-you-exercise/

"Beware, couch potatoes: The evidence is piling up that too much sitting can take a serious toll on your health.

A new study links sitting for prolonged periods of time to increased risk for heart disease, diabetes, cancer and early death -- even in people who get regular exercise.

"Even if you do a half an hour or an hour or of exercise every day doesn't give us the reassurance that sitting for the other 23 hours is ok. In fact, it's not," said Dr. David Alter of the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, one of the authors of the study."

The study found sitting for prolonged periods raised the risk of cardiovascular disease by 14 percent, cancer by 13 percent, and diabetes by a whopping 91 percent. Those who sat for long stretches and got no regular exercise had a 40 percent higher risk of early death. With regular exercise, the risk was smaller but still significant: about 10 percent.

"We know that when you sit, you increase your insulin resistance," Dr. Michael Roizen of the Cleveland Clinic told CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook. "What that means is you don't take the sugar that's in your blood and move it into your cells as well."

You're moving and not doing this....the rest of us should move throughout the day, too.

Guest Andria

I agree that specific pre and post workout meals are not necessary and would be difficult to schedule; however, if you find you need extra fuel from the increased activity, I don't think it is a problem to add a 4th meal as long as you have 4 hour intervals between meals.  

I sit a lot during the day for my work as well, and I do the 5 and 15 minute walks by Leslie Sansone that are on YouTube. I like the five minute ones when I am really busy, because I am able to get up and MOVE and my little guy likes to get up and do them with me which is great too. I commend you for moving throughout your day. 

Thanks SpinSpin! And thanks MeadowLily for your comprehensive response!

Magawisca,  I exercise twice aday but I need to lift heavy things throughout the day, too.  You've inspired me to get up and lift/run the stairs every 70 minutes.   How many X aday do you do the swing the bells?

300 Swings.  HOOAH!  What other kinds of exercise do you do?  I'm running those stairs every 70 min inbetween chores.

Walking 1/2 hour 3X week as 'they've' always recommended, whoever 'they' are... really is for the birds.  In summer it's so much easier for all of us to get outside.  This statement made an impact on me.

"Even if you do a half an hour or an hour or of exercise every day doesn't give us the reassurance that sitting for the other 23 hours is ok.  In fact, it's not."

Hi MeadowLily,

I do body-weight squats,   mix-points-smiley.gif?1292867637 KB squats, walking lunges, bike, walk & hike.running-smiley.gif?1292867665    I'm going back to lifting & Zumba in two weeks! yaysmilesa-smiley.gif?1292867704     I'm really trying to move more too. . . . 

I'm kickin' it up.  It's summer.  No excuses.   Hike 10 miles - split up over the day, swimming and lifting at the pool.   Running the stairs every 70 min.   yes-happy-smiley.gif?1292867704

• 2 weeks later...

Archived