Weight loss as a goal, not a side effect

Hey there y'all. So I had managed to lose 11.4 pounds while doing my Whole30 and I feel great afterwards. I may have found out I have a slight lactose sensitivity (haven't retested it) and my mood had stabilized (something I didn't realize was a problem until afterward, heh). But now lies the question, how do I change my eating habits to purposely lose weight? Since calories aren't a part of it, and supposedly it'll hurt you to cut food amounts from the template. So besides exercise, what are my options? My BMI is 36.98 so I know I have at least 40 pounds to go to be 'average' and more so if I wanted to be slim (gonna have to wait to get closer to see where I'm satisfied). 

Well done on completing your Whole30, and seeing some positive results.

As you know Whole30 is not a weightloss program, but many do lose weight as a result. Restricting the amounts of foods you are eating will be counter productive to continued weightloss but if you continue to eat in this way (following the recommended meal template) and your body has some weight to shed you will see a gradual but continued weightloss over the months to come.

If you've been snacking on dried fruit, fruit and/or nuts you may want to cut those out to see improved results, but if that isn't the case then just keep on keeping on and your body will continue to heal & nourish itself from the wholesome foods you're eating, and shed what it nolonger needs.

Fast weight loss is rarely a permanent thing. Be patient with your body - slow & steady wins the race.

Maybe you already realized this, but continuing to eat whole30 is our best suggestion for continuing with weight loss. Follow the plan, both in terms of foods you are eating and the template recommendations, and you should see health continue to improve and weight continue to come off, although most likely at a slightly slower pace than your first month.

• Moderators

Weight loss programs fail. Millions of people lose millions of pounds on weight loss programs and then they gain them back. It is one of the great scams of the modern era to participate in a weight loss program. Don't do it. Just keep following the plan that is working already for you. Eventually you will reach your ideal weight and then you will stop losing. 

Thanks all for answering and helping me out!

@jmcbn: I had started not being fully Whole30 for the past two weeks, from big stuff like two slices of pizza tonight (really tough night at work), to little things like a tea that has stevia in it (but not addign sweetener/sugar otherwise). Not every day, but at least every other. Not really looking forward to another strict Whole 30/60/90+ to lose weight, but I'd feel better having that random piece of pizza in smaller clothing than at present, heh. 

@missmary: I just wasn't sure since so many people are like "it's NOT a weight loss plan" that I thought the loss would stop in like a month or two, rather than just taper slowly to closer to my goals. That's good to know.

@Tom Denham: Yeah that's why I wanted to know what to do since no other method (besides dutiful calorie counting + exercise) has ever worked for me . That method made me despearate to cheat and I always felt crappy and unsatisfied, unlike now. I just hope my ideal weight isn't extremely higher than I hope it to be ;) 

Cideon,

I've been following whole30 since January 1 (99% of the time, occasionally I'll have something made of whole30 compliant ingredients that isn't technically whole30 [swypo] so I can't say I've stuck to the program 100% but whatever) as a way to maintain my weightloss. Between the beginning of 2013 and the beginning of 2014 I went from around 230 pounds to 158 pounds through keeping my calories at 1200 or below and exercising occasionally. I met my boyfriend in February of 2014 and began to slowly gain weight (as we ate out often). On May 1, 2014 I decided to do my first whole30 and I believe my starting weight was somewhere around 187. I was back down to 162 at the end of the 30 days. June went by quickly and I fell into old habits and gained back a bit and did another whole30 in July. I spent the month of August eating til I exploded while I was on vacation and gained 24 pounds that month (a lot was water weight due to preservatives and pre-packaged food). I felt like a bloated pile of poop after vacation. On September 1, I started round 3. The end date of December 1 coincided with the date that I was leaving for a cruise so I decided to extend from a 30-90 days. I don't remember my exact starting weight but I finished at 153lbs (if you have instagram, it's all documented under my account 86_e). I did really well sticking to mostly whole foods on the cruise with the occasional drink and "diet" dessert (the cruise had a menu that was designed for diabetics or people on reduced calories). I only gained 8-9 pounds, again mostly water. I spent the rest of December eating mostly clean with the exception of a few things here and there. On January 1, I embarked on my whole365 as a means to keep myself accountable, help myself feel better, and to stop with the yo-yoing weight. I didn't think to write down my start weight on January 1 but it was probably somewhere around 160. I weighed in at 144.2 last week. This is the lowest my weight has been since middle school. I don't know exactly when I weighed in the 140s last but I do remember weighing 180 in grade 9 gym class (I was of course embarassed and hated gym class).

So while the whole30 isn't designed to lose weight, it's my way of maintaining what I have managed to lose. The additional weight loss is a beneficial side effect of helping myself feel better. I just keep eating how I ate during the 30 days and it just slowly creeps off.

Erin

Weight is a much more complex issue than calories in/calorie out regardless of what the diet industry would have you believe. Weight loss doesn't occur in a strictly linear fashion and that's because our bodies are constantly changing. Weight gain, especially when our bodies stubbornly hold on to it, is often a symptom of a larger issue like a mucked up metabolism or systemic stress. When you can reduce or fix those things, your body will be healthier and you'll see the weight come off.

Eleven pounds during the course of a Whole30 is a HUGE accomplishment! You're losing weight with your existing choices (Whole30) and you're feeling good, so what is there to change? Remember that healthy, sustainable weight loss is generally 1-2% of your body weight per week. It's normal to have a sudden quick drop when you're first starting off, but things will level out as you continue and that's something you'll need to be able to trust and be comfortable with. Don't expect to lose 11lbs each month and don't try to force yourself to reach that goal, either. You'll only wind up hurting yourself and then falling off the wagon after too much restriction.

• 1 month later...

Munkers,

Am I missing something?  I just ran the numbers for a 1-2% weight loss per week.  That's a lot!  I don't weight that much, 155 pounds I'm guessing (I'm on day 23).  So you're suggesting I would lose 1.6-3.1 pounds a week.  That's 6.4-12.4 pounds a month.  I can see maybe in the first month someone losing on the higher end, but I can't imagine being much over the low end of this estimate on a regular basis.  I'll be shocked if I've lost more that 6-7 pounds by next week (my first month).

I think she meant 1-2 pounds per week.

No, I did mean 1-2% of bodyweight per week. That's because weight loss for someone who weighs 100lbs looks quite a bit different than someone who weighs 200 or 300lbs. Someone with a higher percentage of body fat will tend to lose a larger amount in terms of sheer pounds. Trying to consistently lose 2% each week is an aggressive goal and probably not one that you're going to keep up with over a long period of time, but it's not unusual to hit that point during early weight loss. As you body composition changes and your fat mass decreases, then your losses will be lower as your body reaches a point of equilibrium.

And, of course, all of these are averages only and every individual will have a different experience depending on their own body chemistry and health status.

Kirstenj, I'm not specifically saying that people will lose these amounts during a Whole30. The Whole30 is not specifically a weight loss plan, but can certainly lead to improved body composition for those who are overweight. If you're already lean, then the Whole30 can be used to maintain or even gain weight depending on your body's needs.

• 4 months later...

Weight loss programs fail. Millions of people lose millions of pounds on weight loss programs and then they gain them back. It is one of the great scams of the modern era to participate in a weight loss program. Don't do it. Just keep following the plan that is working already for you. Eventually you will reach your ideal weight and then you will stop losing. 

When you stop losing, wanting maintenance - you will have to continue on in a similar fashion that made it possible.  I follow Dr. Emily Deans, she's written positive articles for the Whole 30. 

She says that one could tweak forever with additional restrictions in diet leading to smaller and smaller benefits, no benefits at all or even health problems from an overly-tweaked primal/paleo style of eating. One can eat too little causing hormonal problems as the starvation response kicks in.  One can develop nutritional deficiencies from overly restricted eating.

Some folks may even delay going for medical attention trying to find solutions by cutting every last molecule of this or that.  Some develop paleo inspired orthorexia or a fixation on pure eating.

The Whole 30 is reasonable but it was not intended for 365 days of restriction.   

Archived