Started on June 6!

Sark

Hi there everyone,

I started on Saturday after a long road with IBS and food intolerances. I just finished FODMAP diet and it helped but not enough. I still have bloating. I'm just curious if it's normal to feel worse on these first few days. My stomach is bloated and my body hurts. Headaches and I can hardly sleep. I was about 80 percent whole30 before I started except for the sugar of course :). Just wanted to make sure this is okay and normal!

Thanks!

Sara

Okay thanks Tom! Here is the last two days:

Saturday breakfast was apples and blueberries with almond butter. And avocado. Lunch was a large spinach and arugula salad with grilled chicken and veggies and dinner was a piece of salmon with sweet potato mash and zucchini. Sunday breakfast was leftover salmon and sweet potato mash and some avocado. Lunch was a big spinach and arugula salad with tuna and tilapia with veggies. Dinner last night was bone in chicken breast with lemon and thyme with stir fried veggies and some strawberries with pecans. This morning for breakfast I had half a turkey burger with grilled veg and green beans, sweet potato fries and strawberries and blueberries.

Let me know how I did and why my tummy hurts so much! Thanks!

There are a few things that are known for causing tummy troubles. It's hard to tell from your log as you've said 'veggies' and 'salad' but I'm guessing you've got them all covered here... I'm talking nuts, cruciferous veg (eg. onion - either raw or cooked, broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower etc), and raw veg. Go easy on all of these & see if your tummy troubles settle.

As an aside your meal one on Saturday, whilst compliant, wasn't ideal - fruit is fine when eaten a long side a template meal, but eaten on it's own when cortisol levels are at their highest having fasted over night will send your blood sugar rocketing, and will cause a slump later in the day, along with faux hunger & cravings. Don't let the fruit push the veggies off your plate. Also, nut butters are a fat source on whole30 not a protein. The remainder of your meals look well composed so I'm guessing it was just a rookie error!

Hope the tummy settles for you soon...

Thank you jmcbn!  That's very helpful.  And yes, it was for sure a rookie mistake! I just finished 2 months of FODMAP and determined that I cannot eat onion, garlic, broccoli and mushrooms.  So I am staying away from those for sure.  But my salads are obviously raw veggies.  Guess I could microwave them at the office?  I mainly eat spinach, green beans, arugula, lettuce, peppers, carrots, kale and some butternut squash, sweet potato and regular potato.  I also can't figure out why I can't sleep while on this diet.  My sleep was great before.  I sort of feel like it's because my tummy feels really bloated and a bit in pain so it's hard to settle.  Anyway, I will keep it up and hope my tummy settles soon!  Thanks again.

You could mix some cooked veg in with your salad just to cut down on the quantity of the raw veg - I can't imagine a salad is going to fair well in a microwave! Also maybe add some fermeted foods in there - like kombucha, kimchi or sauerkraut - or take a digestive enzyme which can be particularly helpful if you're not used to eating so much animal protein.

Regarding your sleep, are you limiting caffeine to before noon? Drinking enough water? (1/2oz per pound of body weight per day) Taking a magnesium supplement? You could also try taking your starchy veg with meal three as many report that this helps with sleep too. Then there's the obvious sleep hygiene guidelines....

I actually already take a digestive enzyme before I eat.  I have been for the past few months.  It definitely helps!  i can totally add some cooked veggies as well and try some fermented foods.  I am definitely not used to eating alot of animal protein.  But still only chicken and fish.  I'm not ready to bring on the red meat yet!  Maybe when my bloating passes. 

Sleep: I don't consume any caffeine.  Never have.  I drink a rooibos tea in the morning and then a decaf coffee at about 11am but that's it.  And I take the magnesium supplement as well. When you say taking your starchy veg with meal three...what do you mean?  Like don't eat a starchy veg for meals one and two and then have it with dinner?

Thanks again!

Yep, there are quite a few people (myself included) who would say that taking at least a fist sized portion of starchy veg with meal three only definitely improves their sleep.

Hopefully this will be of some help to you too  :)

So sorry to sound dumb...but what constitutes a starchy veg?  Just so I make sure that I don't include them in meals 1 and 2.  Thank you! I would give my right arm for a good nights sleep :).

Starchy veggies would be all varieties of potatoes, squash, parsnips, beets, turnip, plaintains, pumpkin & yam.

I try to take stick to power greens & salads, cabbage, mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, peppers, zucchini, leeks and that kind of thing for meals one & two - some cooked, and some raw just for variety. Then I do a batch of oven roasted spiced root veg each week which is what I'll normally have at meal three. With a bit of tweaking you'll figure out what works best for you...

Hi Kweeky! I'm glad we can chat since we both started on the same day. It's been going okay. Obviously it's an uphill battle but even though I feel foggy and exhausted, I actually feel better! I can't wait to have more energy. The starch only at meal 3 has definitely helped. Not exactly my sleep though. That is still struggling. But if I only have the starchy veg at dinner then I don't crash during the day I find. I've only had one snack on my almost 6 days. So I'm pleased at that. Probably worth a try! How's it going for you far?

Archived