Ignite Naturals Energy Gels for long runs?

orca_chick

Does anyone know anything about these whole food based gels? I tried them on my long run this past weekend and I seemed to do pretty well with them, but I'm not sure they're 100% Whole 30 approved. It appears that they are completely fig based with no added sugar but there are a couple of additives in them that I'm not positive about. Any input is very much appreciated as I'm doing my Whole 30 at the height of my marathon training.

Thanks!

The Ignite Naturals Website:

http://ignitenaturals.com/reload.php

• Moderators

Just because all ingredients are okay does not make a product acceptable. These gels are like paleo pancakes. Don't do it. Eat a fig. Eat a banana. Eat an orange. Eat a sweet potato. Don't keep yourself tied to highly processed goo in a tear off top package. Learn to live with real food.

I'm curious about this topic as well. I'm on day 26, looking ahead and thinking about what to fuel with in the coming weeks/months as I train for a couple of ultramarathon trail runs. In the past I have used gels, bars, chews, etc. and more recently (still pre-Whole30) I was using Honey Stinger gels (honey, maltodextrin, B vitamins) and they were working well for me. For workouts longer than 3 hours I would also mix in some (comparatively) "real" food like Clif bars and PB&J.

Since my Whole30 started, I haven't done any runs longer than 2 hours, but soon enough I will be doing trail runs that are several hours long. I'm worried about being able to get enough calories without having to carry a small grocery store's worth of food on my back (or in my stomach) while I'm running. Also, some things are just really difficult/messy to eat in the middle of a run. I might have an easier time with something like Larabars, but would that also be a case where the ingredients are individually OK but the product itself is not?

Archived