Day 2....veggies and meat for breakfast....

vegasnine

Morning,

It's day 2 here for me. Yesterday wasn't so bad but I was pretty much prepping and cooking all day along with making my meals.

Let's talk about breakfast....my usual breakfast is yogurt and berries maybe with granola. Or a smoothie.  So eating veggies and meat is so unappealing. I don't love eggs though I know I have to embrace them....

Right now I'm eating some fruit salad and staring at a leftover piece of steak and some roasted veggies. The thought of eating it right now is making me queasy...

What do you do? I saw another thread on great breakfast ideas and they are awesome, but who out there also strugges with the combination?

Thanks!

Tracey

One thing that helped with me is thinking of meals differently - instead for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I think of them as meal 1, meal 2 and meal 3.

Some people like blended soups.  If protein is too much - you can even blend the protein in there too - but it is preferential that you chew some of your food.

Egg "Muffins" are great - These are basically mini fritatta's with veg, sausage in them.  Google is your best source for recipes on this one.  There are so many good ones out there.

Leftovers are good.

My favourite breakfast is as follows:

Fat in a pan, Handful of precooked seasoned ground meat, handful of pre-cooked seasoned cubed sweet potato, multiple handfuls of spinach + 2 eggs. I scramble mine in everything but you could do whatever. Since I precook everything - it's done and ready to eat in 10 minutes or less.

That is a very good point....trying to think of it differently.

The egg muffins are a good idea. I have to make some sausage and have been unsuccessful at finding sugar free bacon.  Does anyone know if Pancetta is sugar free?

That scramble would also reheat ok right? That's my thing is work breakfasts. At home it will be easier because I can do lots of spinach which I love.

Are smoothies allowed if they contain compliant ingredients?

Thanks!

Smoothies are not banished but are not recommended for 2 reasons:  One a lot of smoothies contain fruit.  And usually more fruit than one person would eat in one sitting.  Which makes this a huge sugar bomb.  It is also more satiating to chew your food rather than drink it.  

The scramble reheats fine - if you are re-heating it maybe undercook the eggs a wee bit.

Pancetta is generally not complaint - but prosciutto is!  If you crisp it up in the oven the texture and taste is just like bacon.

• Moderators

Smoothies will not get you to the promised land of improved health even if you avoid fruit entirely. The hype about smoothies being health food is just that - hype. You will have a much better response to chewing and eating whole foods. Don't plan on failing to do the best for your health every day. :)

Understandable Tom, but in a pinch if it's have a green veggie smoothie or have nothing? I think the better choice is the smoothie. I am sure I'll get to a point where this is not as big a deal (not on day 2), I'm just trying to figure out how to get through this week when the thought of eating anything warm or eggy or meaty or veggie for breakfast is making me queasy.

• Administrators

Understandable Tom, but in a pinch if it's have a green veggie smoothie or have nothing? I think the better choice is the smoothie. I am sure I'll get to a point where this is not as big a deal (not on day 2), I'm just trying to figure out how to get through this week when the thought of eating anything warm or eggy or meaty or veggie for breakfast is making me queasy.

This is the Whole30, there should not be a pinch where it's either juice or nothing.  I get your pickle, I do and you aren't the first and you won't be the last that has to retrain your body to accept food first thing in the morning.  But you cannot train your body to accept meat, vegetables and fat first thing in the morning by giving it a sweet liquid food.  If you can't do warm food then do cold.  Some cubed cold sweet potato, a nice spinach salad and some chicken thigh thinly sliced into it.  Pureed soups work well for some people (silky gingered zucchini or golden cauli from Clothes Make the Girl). How about an omelette filled with mushrooms and spinach? I'm sure on weekends if you go out for breakfast you've eaten an omelette or bacon and eggs, yes?  This is just about creating a healthful version of that at home and eating it within an hour of waking.

Try roasting some baby potatoes in some oil/fat with some garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Scramble a couple of eggs and put some of the potatoes on some sauteed green beans, top with the egg and you're good to go.  

To be honest this requires some mind shift and a willingness to plow through a few rough mornings and come out the other side. The real successes of this program are directly linked to getting a template breakfast into yourself within an hour of waking.  I cannot drive home enough how crucial this step is in allowing your hormones & blood sugar to balance.

This is the Whole30, there should not be a pinch where it's either juice or nothing.  I get your pickle, I do and you aren't the first and you won't be the last that has to retrain your body to accept food first thing in the morning.  But you cannot train your body to accept meat, vegetables and fat first thing in the morning by giving it a sweet liquid food.  If you can't do warm food then do cold.  Some cubed cold sweet potato, a nice spinach salad and some chicken thigh thinly sliced into it.  Pureed soups work well for some people (silky gingered zucchini or golden cauli from Clothes Make the Girl). How about an omelette filled with mushrooms and spinach? I'm sure on weekends if you go out for breakfast you've eaten an omelette or bacon and eggs, yes?  This is just about creating a healthful version of that at home and eating it within an hour of waking.

Try roasting some baby potatoes in some oil/fat with some garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Scramble a couple of eggs and put some of the potatoes on some sauteed green beans, top with the egg and you're good to go.  

To be honest this requires some mind shift and a willingness to plow through a few rough mornings and come out the other side. The real successes of this program are directly linked to getting a template breakfast into yourself within an hour of waking.  I cannot drive home enough how crucial this step is in allowing your hormones & blood sugar to balance.

Very good point! The old non Whole30 brain is saying "find something that works" and the new Whole30 brain hasn't kicked in yet. It's not any different than making the paleo panckaes is it? I am glad you posted and pointed those things out.

Doesn't change the fact that a salad for breakfast is not just unappealing but difficult to get down. That being said, you're right, it never will be unless I start working on it. I assume that some point in the next 30 days that will be more appealing yes? Please say yes!

Yes, I have gone out for breakfast on the weekend, but that's about 10am. I'm not used to eating a "meal" or anything savoury / hearty at 7am...I'll get there.

Thanks for your post and not being judgy but offering up some good ideas and calling me out for trying to let the old brain win!

:)

• Administrators

Very good point! The old non Whole30 brain is saying "find something that works" and the new Whole30 brain hasn't kicked in yet. It's not any different than making the paleo panckaes is it? I am glad you posted and pointed those things out.

Doesn't change the fact that a salad for breakfast is not just unappealing but difficult to get down. That being said, you're right, it never will be unless I start working on it. I assume that some point in the next 30 days that will be more appealing yes? Please say yes!

Yes, I have gone out for breakfast on the weekend, but that's about 10am. I'm not used to eating a "meal" or anything savoury / hearty at 7am...I'll get there.

Thanks for your post and not being judgy but offering up some good ideas and calling me out for trying to let the old brain win!

:)

It absolutely does get better within the 30 days....if you start working on it at your next breakfast.  It doesn't magically get easier on Day 20 after 19 days of smoothies.  ;)  It won't take long, honestly.  If you are eating template meals and drinking water and not snacking, your body will come into line and you'll find that it wants a proper breakfast because that's what it's supposed to want.  

So here's how to start.  

Step One: put the blender away.  ;)

Step Two: make a full template breakfast every morning including 1-2 palms protein, 1-3 cups veggies and 1-2 thumbs fat

Step Three: eat evenly from around the plate.  If that means one bite of each and that's all you can manage, that's fine.  Pack it up and take it with you to eat again as soon as you feel able.  This doesn't mean when you get hungry, but as soon as you feel you can have some more bites.  Each day you'll get a bit more and eventually there will be nothing left to pack up.  :D

Breakfast sets up your entire day. A small or non-existent or non-template breakfast (like smoothies or fruits alone) can set you up for late day cravings, false hunger, energy flags and overall not-awesome-ness.  

You also might benefit from seeking out a digestive enzyme and from adding a probiotic like kombucha or kimchi or sauerkraut.

Keep us posted on how it goes.  I have a feeling you're going to be a breakfast convert shouting the importance of a balanced breakfast from the rooftops.  We'll be pointing new folks in your direction for a breakfast testimonial!  ;)

Thank you! I really appreciate the step by step guidance!

I did manage meat with my fruit today if that counts! :)

I am going to make up a scramble tonight so it's all mixed and ready to reheat tomorrow.

I also love the idea of eating what you can and coming back to it as soon as possible!

Thank you again so much!

Tracey

I'm with Lady Shanny.   Jump right in, the water is fine.   Going  Cold Turkey with smoothies and drinking fruit juice or even a pot of coffee instead of breakfast is the only way to break the old cycles.   Eating breakfast within an hour or as soon as your feet hit the floor in the morning  is the trade UP for the BIG WIN.

Your hormones will change.  It is the smartest move you'll ever make.  A great breakfast sets the tone for the entire day.   The Whole 30 is a Food Reset but the Mind Reset that you get is the real bonus.

I drank smoothies and coffee for years.  They didn't help my metabolism and I didn't budge an inch.   I stopped drinking both of them.  Ahhh, what's happened to me in a year's time from just stopping those two habits has changed my entire life.  

I always have another protein with eggs in the morning.  If you don't care for meat to begin with, try fish.  Roast all of your vegetables on a roasting pan.  Strive for those 3 cups of roasted vege in the morning with your good fats.  Eat fruit at the very tail end of a meal.  If you're not hungry after the deluxe items - you don't have to eat the fruit.    Fruit should not be the first go-to-item for any of the 3 meals.   Fruit can be thrown over your leafy greens or roasted vege.   I think of fruit as a condiment but not my staple for nutrition.   

Drinking all of that fruit in the morning with a pot of coffee/cream contributed to throwing me right into T2 diabetes.   I've reversed all of that but it took me a year of due diligence - day by day.  

Just finishing day 1 for me.  Hoorah!

Breakfast was 2 boiled eggs and 1/2 an avocado and black coffee.  From what I'm reading, I should have added veggies?????  

Had lots of veggies with lunch and dinner...just wondering...not too fond of breakfast either, gotta make myself eat more than what I ate for breakfast today, I guess????  

• Moderators

Just finishing day 1 for me. Hoorah!

Breakfast was 2 boiled eggs and 1/2 an avocado and black coffee. From what I'm reading, I should have added veggies?????

Had lots of veggies with lunch and dinner...just wondering...not too fond of breakfast either, gotta make myself eat more than what I ate for breakfast today, I guess????

Yes, definitely start getting in vegetables at breakfast. Also, eggs, if they're your only protein source, a serving is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, so probably three to four.

As mentioned above, you can make up a full plate, eat what you can, and then eat the rest later when you get hungry.

TeachrVA-- shoot for 3 cups of cooked/roasted veg per meal. I eat upwards of 12 cups of veg a day, between raw and cooked, and salad greens really don't count unless you eat a flat TON of them. I have been known to put my salad in a LARGE pyrex mixing bowl. You need the veggies :-) don't hate the veggies. Do as LadyShanny suggests with eating a bite around your plate, eat what you can and put it away/take it with you and when you are ready, eat more. You could also 'build' bites- a bite of protein, veg, fat on a fork and eat. I did that when I first started out, and it made my M1 much easier to eat. 

Breakfast is magic.

I honestly think the big Whole30 breakfast of protein, veggies, and fat is key to the whole thing. 

One tip is that even though I've been eating like this for about 6 weeks, I still sometimes don't feel hungry when I get up and contemplate a big, protein-heavy breakfast. But once I start eating, I get an appetite and rarely don't finish everything. Another tip is that sweet potatoes or butternut squash help make Meal 1 feel more "breakfast-y" to me.

Morning!

Thanks for asking, I am finally getting to eating because I heated up my scramble and sat and stared at it on my desk....

It's tasty, and was a great idea, but I'm still choking it down....I don't know how to attach a photo or I would. I cooked some ground beef with sage and salt and pepper to give it a sausage taste, added in a bunch of my roasted veggies and sweet potatoes and a bunch of spinach and then mixed in eggs.

Last night was a BAD night. I am going to have my most challenging day so far today I'm afraid.  I barely got any sleep.  My body was all "buzzy" and restless inside if that makes sense. It was very hot here yesterday so it was not fun sleeping even once it had cooled off. I'm fighting off thoughts of giving in. I don't want to do that. I can't....

It's Day 3 and your breakfast sounds really good.  Don't cave now!   Cravings pass, discouragement passes.

Give it 5 minutes.  Redirect your thoughts.   In a few minutes, you won't even be thinking about those fleeting thoughts.

Feelings are fickle.  They're not a true gauge of what you really want out of your Whole 30 or life. 

Put up a visual display for yourself.   It doesn't have to be huge if you're at work.  Make a small collage in 5X7 frame of reminders and things that will spur you on.   Redirect your mind and look at it during the tough times of sugar/wheat/dairy withdrawal.   

Make one for your vehicle.   A bookmark with your own quotes.  Words that move you.  Change it up often.  Make this an exciting 30 day trip.

Stick motivators on your fridge, bathroom mirror and inside of closet doors.  Get a calendar for every room and draw smiley faces on the days or write down your thoughts.   Buy a journal and ramble on about every detail.   Do everything you can because after 30 days, your good habits and motivation has to continue....  Even when there's no one but you giving yourself self-like-love every single day. 

I did and do all of these things.  I have to mix it all up because after a while, you no longer see those same photos on the fridge or read the same words.  Your mind blanks all of it out.   Mix it up, every day.  

This is my 2nd attempt at a W30, and breakfast was the hardest for me, too. My problem is that like a lot of people, I'm used to eating something sweet or "breakfasty". And I don't care for eggs. Once I found the compliant pork sausage from US Wellness Meats I was a happy person. I think I ordered about 8 lbs of the pork sausage last time. I still have 2 in the freezer so I'm stoked about that.  I also like the Slow Cooker Breakfast Meatloaf recipe found on Meatified. It's a real time saver. I can make that on Sunday afternoon and slice it up into portions for the week. I like to have it covered in smashed avocado with salt and pepper on the top with some sliced tomato and cubed sweet potato sauteed in ghee.  US Wellness also has compliant bacon if you can't find any locally. One of the ways I'll actually eat eggs is to chop up a little bacon and saute it with some sweet potatoes, then scramble my eggs into it. Once it's done I'll add some diced tomato or have some slices on the side with a little avocado.

BTW Vegasnine, yesterday was also D1 for me, and I had so much energy I didn't know what to do with it, but when I tried to go to bed I couldn't shut down. Since I get up at 5 am my normal bedtime is around 9:30, but I was up til way after midnight and I kept waking up all night...err...all morning?

This is my 2nd attempt at a W30, and breakfast was the hardest for me, too. My problem is that like a lot of people, I'm used to eating something sweet or "breakfasty". And I don't care for eggs. Once I found the compliant pork sausage from US Wellness Meats I was a happy person. I think I ordered about 8 lbs of the pork sausage last time. I still have 2 in the freezer so I'm stoked about that.  I also like the Slow Cooker Breakfast Meatloaf recipe found on Meatified. It's a real time saver. I can make that on Sunday afternoon and slice it up into portions for the week. I like to have it covered in smashed avocado with salt and pepper on the top with some sliced tomato and cubed sweet potato sauteed in ghee.  US Wellness also has compliant bacon if you can't find any locally. One of the ways I'll actually eat eggs is to chop up a little bacon and saute it with some sweet potatoes, then scramble my eggs into it. Once it's done I'll add some diced tomato or have some slices on the side with a little avocado.

BTW Vegasnine, yesterday was also D1 for me, and I had so much energy I didn't know what to do with it, but when I tried to go to bed I couldn't shut down. Since I get up at 5 am my normal bedtime is around 9:30, but I was up til way after midnight and I kept waking up all night...err...all morning?

My issue is the same as yours. I like sweet and creamy for brekfast and I don't care for eggs. Frankly anything really savory in the morning is gross to me.

It's not a lack of ideas or recipes, the fact is when it comes down to it, I have a really hard time eating it. As the lovely folks here have pointed out, that goes away but you have to push through. So that's what I'll do. I appreciate being able to come here and vent and get ideas and support.

FYI I'm in Canada, so I don't have access to the US Wellness products. I have had no luck finding compliant bacon or ham or anthing of the sort here. I am going to try proscuitto as people have suggested. I have to get groceries again tomorrow (2x week grocery shop now) so I'll pick some up.

Thank you for your suggestions and support! Good luck on day 2 and I hope that you get some sleep tonight too!

• Administrators

Vegas and Melissa, sleep disruptions are common in the beginning.  Believe it or not, eating a proper breakfast will help with that.  When you eat a full breakfast within an hour of waking it tells your body that this is "awake time" and all the correct hormones and body chemistry is mobilized.  These hormones and processes should be highest in the morning when you wake.  As the day goes on they slowly reduce until you should be winding down for bed.  Not eating breakfast or eating something too small or eating it too late means that your "awake" processes don't start running at the proper time and that means wind down is delayed.

Beyond that, if you are following our template, all of your body processes are rebalancing and that includes sleep.  It gets better.

I think the next change I'm going to have to make is tomorrow morning, I'll get up earlier and eat at home after getting ready for work. Maybe a new routine will also help reset my morning expectations and make that meal easier.

I was very surprised at the lack of sleep because I hadn't had any caffiene since the morning and it clearly wasn't a sugar high :)

Thanks again!

Archived