Day 2....veggies and meat for breakfast....

vegasnine

I think the next change I'm going to have to make is tomorrow morning, I'll get up earlier and eat at home after getting ready for work. Maybe a new routine will also help reset my morning expectations and make that meal easier.

Yes!!

Pre-Whole30, I took breakfast to work because I was doing a boot camp class in the mornings and already didn't get to work till 9 (I also had Greek yogurt and granola every morning, so I feel your pain on a lot of levels!). I quit the boot camp class for other reasons, but now I take that time to eat a solid breakfast at home. It's great for nutrition and for my sanity. I'm lucky to have a job with flexible hours to be able to do that - if I were a teacher and had to be at school at 7:30 or something, I probably wouldn't. But if you're able to, this made a big difference in my morning routine, being able to focus on what I'm eating and not eating two meals at my desk every day. And it really doesn't take that long once you get a routine down and do some prepping beforehand.

And for what it's worth, Day 3 I woke up feeling like I'd gotten hit by a truck. :) It does get better!

You don't have to eat whopping boatloads of eggs for breakfast if you can't stand the thought.  Try fish or steak, beef ribs, pulled pork...just eat your protein and good dietary fats.  Get those roasted vege in. 

I think some may think because they're told to eat a handful of eggs every morning ....that's all there is to fulfill a requirement. Then they eat eggs alone every day for 30 days until they can't do it anymore.   I'm here to tell you,  always have another protein with eggs in the morning.   Don't eat your eggs alone and if you can't stand them....find and eat a protein that you like.

If I had to eat eggs 3Xaday for 30 days....I would be out of my ever lovin' head with food boredom.  There's roasted turkey, roasted chicken, salmon, trout, tuna, beef, pork, and for those who aren't afraid of adventure - there's bison and wild game.   

I see many when told to eat a handful of eggs that they're left hanging..thinking,  I must eat eggs and they don't think about all of the other proteins to add to those eggs.  My eggs are never alone on the plate, even when they're hard boiled.   Eggs are toppers to my leftovers.   When I reheat steak in a cast iron skillet in the oven...I throw eggs over the top.   Eggs do not have to ever be eaten alone.   

Every protein goes well with eggs.  Bacon, steak, burgers, ribs, chops, roast beef.. fish, turkey, chicken...the flavors meld.  Try over easy with all of the above - simply because it works. 

There are compliant brands of chicken apple sausage, and the apple makes it taste less savory than other proteins. I often have that for breakfast along with a sweet potato topped with a little ghee and some pumpkin pie spice. Add a mild vegetable like sauteed leeks, and you have a meal that is slightly sweet and cinnamon-y.

I contacted a local meat stand at one of our farmer's markets and they sent a list of all their sausages and other products with ingredients. There are 5 varieties including their breakfast sausage that don't contain sugar or a sugar ingredient. I'm so excited. I'm going to order and pick up on the weekend.

The hot and humid days of summer are fast approaching.....

A cool shower before bed helps overall.

Your whole body is buzzing overnight - this might seem like a very strange question - but are you eating many or a lot of nuts by chance?  This is honestly how I react to nuts - so this is why I ask.  

The hot and humid days of summer are fast approaching.....

A cool shower before bed helps overall.

Your whole body is buzzing overnight - this might seem like a very strange question - but are you eating many or a lot of nuts by chance?  This is honestly how I react to nuts - so this is why I ask.  

I agree about the cool shower, it's so nice as a way to relax before bed.

Last night was better.

I'm not eating any nuts at all actually. I had a bad leg cramp last night in the middle of the night (which I am prone to) which was odd because usually when I'm drinking a lot of water this doesn't happen. Also found until this morning my leg muscles have been very sore in general.

• Administrators

I agree about the cool shower, it's so nice as a way to relax before bed.

Last night was better.

I'm not eating any nuts at all actually. I had a bad leg cramp last night in the middle of the night (which I am prone to) which was odd because usually when I'm drinking a lot of water this doesn't happen. Also found until this morning my leg muscles have been very sore in general.

You might benefit by taking a magnesium supplement.  It helps with sleep and leg cramping/muscle soreness.  You can try Natural Calm unflavoured or just take an epsom salt bath as your body will absorb the magnesium that way.  You can get magnesium oil that you rub on as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

A couple of things:

I was going to suggest magnesium for sleep but Ladyshanny mentioned that already for your leg cramps.  Also, make sure you are salting your food, when you get rid of processed foods your sodium intake actually drops potentially too low - so salt away with your pink Himalayan salt :)

I'm not a breakfast eater either and a few things that helped me were cold coconut milk that solidified in the fridge on top of "sweet" veggies.  I make a tray of roasted cauliflower, broccoli and carrots (c and b are frozen florets, c are raw) with Moroccan spices - cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg etc.  There are lots of recipes out there.  I often would pair this with homemade turkey breakfast sausage (purely for $ reasons - ground turkey is 3-4$ a lb, pre made sausage 7-8$).  I'd eat that with a big scoop of coconut milk.  Another fav was the coconut milk on kobucha squash (Japanese pumpkin).  You need to get the full fat coconut milk for this though - I get Aroy D.  There are some pics in my last not-quite-W30 if you want some ideas :).  

Archived