Forgot my lunch at home! Burger King beef patty?

MrsMcG

I forgot my lunch at home today. I live 30 minutes from my office and only get a 30 minute lunch so going home to get it is not possible. I live in a small town with limited restaurant options, and the nearest grocery store is 15 minutes away from work.

There is a Burger King down the street. The BK website lists beef as the only ingredient in their beef patties; would it be okay to eat a couple of those and a green salad? I don't want to ruin my Whole30 but I also know I'm not going to make it all day without eating anything ...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Administrators

I couldn't find anything online from Burger King directly that shows their ingredient listings? Strange.

Regardless, you are going to have to ask them what their cooking fat is.  Canola and sunflower are the only choices that would be alright in a pinch.

http://www.bk.com/pdfs/gluten_sensitivity.pdf

Information for Guests with Gluten Sensitivity Foods and ingredients without wheat, barley, rye or oats. This list is not intended for people with Celiac Disease. Meats, Eggs and Side Dishes • WHOPPER® patty • WHOPPER JR.® patty • Hamburger patty • TENDERGRILL® Chicken Filet • Bacon Slice • Ham Slice • Egg patty • Sausage patty* •

Products fried in a shared fryer include but may not be limited to: Fish Filet, Pork Sausage, Crispy Chicken Patty, Chicken Nuggets, Original Chicken Patty, Spicy Original Chicken Patty, Hash Browns, French Toast Sticks and Onion Rings. In Hawaii, Portuguese Sausage and Spam are also fried in a shared fryer. Our fryer oil contains: corn, canola, soy and/or cottonseed oils. French Fries are fried in a fryer designated only for French Fries. Test and Limited Time Only (“LTO”) offerings may not be listed here. 

*These products may be fried with gluten containing foods Sauces, Dips, Dressings, and Beverages •Chocolate Fudge Sauce •Tartar Sauce •DRESSINGS: •Apple Cider Vinaigrette, Lite Honey Balsamic, Avocado Ranch Dressing. •Barq’s® Root Beer •Coca-Cola® Classic ICEE®, Coca-Cola® Classic, Coca-Cola®, Diet Coke®, Dr. Pepper®, Sprite®, Minute Maid® 100% Apple and Orange Juice •NESTLE PURE LIFE® Purified Drinking Water •Seattle’s Best Coffee® (including iced coffees) •Mocha Frappe, Caramel Frappe •Tropical Mango Smoothie • Strawberry Banana Smoothie Produce, Condiments, Dairy and Desserts • BK® Fresh Apple Slices •Lettuce, Sliced Onions •Carrots, Sliced Tomato •Spring Mix Romaine •Garden Fresh Salad with Apple and Cranberry with TENDERGRILL® Chicken •Breakfast Syrup, Grape Jam •Honey Ketchup •Mustard , Mayonnaise •Strawberry Jam, Sliced Pickles •Processed American Cheese • Three Cheese Blend •Fat Free Milk, 1% Low- Fat Chocolate Milk •Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry Shakes •Soft serve in a cup, Caramel Sundae, Chocolate Fudge Sundae, Strawberry Sundae This information provided in based on our suppliers’ ingredient lists and is complete as possible at the time of this publication: DECEMBER 2013. 

Here's the dealio.   You have nothing for lunch.  If I was in your shoes, I would eat a burger every time... over and above snacking on dried fruits, nuts and finding a vending machine with a Larabar or any other kind of bar.

Anytime I've been between a rock and hard place...I go for meat and fish every single time.  Then I go for hard boiled eggs.   Meat and fish are my preference.    I live quite aways from the nearest grocery store, too.

So here's the other option.   Do you have a small gas station?  They often carry those packets of tuna and salmon on the shelf.   I have a one pump station.  I've made a meal out of condiments and a tuna pack.   They have hard boiled eggs, pickles and salmon/tuna packs, mustard.   Do the best you can but if there's a gas station, check it out, too.  

Before I'll judge,  I'll walk a mile in your shoes.  That way, I'll be a mile down the road and have your shoes, too. 

patpat-dance-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1

ladyshanny - I found the ingredients at the bottom of the nutrition information page. It says 100% USDA inspected beef for the beef patties ...everything else has a bunch of added crap. From the info Meadow Lily posted it looks like the beef doesn't go in the shared fryer so it should be free of the oils.

HOWEVER ... I figured out a different solution. I called my sister and begged her to bring me a few hard boiled eggs and some veggies. I figure she owes me for the countless instances of free babysitting I've done for her :-) So I will have a Whole30 compliant lunch delivered today!

Crisis averted. Thanks for all the input, everyone!!

• Administrators

HOWEVER ... I figured out a different solution. I called my sister and begged her to bring me a few hard boiled eggs and some veggies. I figure she owes me for the countless instances of free babysitting I've done for her :-) So I will have a Whole30 compliant lunch delivered today!

Crisis averted. Thanks for all the input, everyone!!

EXCELLENT, that makes me very happy to read!  Good job, sister!

The protein is the hardest to stock "emergency supplies". I try to keep a few options in the fridge at work but they are so crazy about cleaning out the fridge and conserving space ... technically we are only supposed to stash our lunch for the day in there. There is even a sign posted that says not to bring your lunch supplies for the week!

I think I'm going to grill a couple chicken breasts and put them in the freezer so I will have a backup if I ever space out and forget my lunch again. My coworkers aren't quite as psycho about freezer space so I shouldn't have to worry about them getting thrown out in an overzealous cleaning spree!

• Administrators

The protein is the hardest to stock "emergency supplies". I try to keep a few options in the fridge at work but they are so crazy about cleaning out the fridge and conserving space ... technically we are only supposed to stash our lunch for the day in there. There is even a sign posted that says not to bring your lunch supplies for the week!

How about canned tuna or sardines or salmon? What about bringing a couple hard boiled eggs in a baggie at the beginning of the week?  How much space can 3 eggs take up?!

I'll fifth or sixth the vote for tuna packs.  Also, a can of sliced olives, the ones with the pull-top opener.  And you could always keep a bag of frozen veggies in that Not Quite Always Empty Like The Fridge freezer.  

ThyPeace, also likes to keep some almonds around.

I'm with ladyshanny - some tinned fish, a jar of olives, and a jar of pickled veg and you have yourself a meal right there...

This was pretty much my dinner last night! A can of sardines (they were packed in water since I couldn't find any in compliant oil) drained, mashed and mixed with compliant dijon mustard and extra virgin olive oil, some pickles and pickled veggies and olives. This would have been really good over some hearty greens too as a salad. 

I had an emergency Larabar in my desk yesterday I had to break into.  I hated to do that, but it was needed.  Today I brought my Primal Pacs to work for any future emergencies.  I keep one in the car, also.  

Definitely going to get some tuna packs now after reading this thread!

Guest Andria

Excellent suggestions, everyone!  And awesome problem solving, Amy :D

SpinSpin, I lurvvvv sardines + djon mustard (compliant, of course) + anything pickled!!!! mmmmm

Archived