Day 20 serious diarrhea following FODMAP

Sorry to start another diarrhea thread but, I have been battling diarrhea for about a week. Read other posts and found my way to the FODMAP guide and have followed that for about four days with no improvement. Don't want to just take anti-diarrheal drugs as that just masks the problem. Typical meal plan is two eggs, potato, and meat for breakfast. Lunch is usually leftover from dinner consisting of meat and vegetable with fruit. Dinner is meat, vegetable, and fruit...sometimes sweet potato or white potato. No Larabars since following FODMAP in case they were the issue. Am now wondering if eggs could be an issue? Main reason I started Whole 30 is that I have intermittent digestive issues, mainly diarrhea, and was hoping this could eliminate foods that are affecting me. I am now fairly limited in what I can eat and am hoping for suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Indypeach - sorry to hear you're not feeling great.

Could you be a bit more specific in listing your food intake over the last few days to see if maybe we can pinpoint anything that might be a trigger for the diarrhoea?

Friday I had two hard boiled eggs and blueberries. Lunch was chicken cacciatore with no onions or garlic but I did add a few mushrooms and steamed carrots with a bit of ghee. Dinner was hamburger patties, fresh green beans, white potato, and kiwi. Saturday had egg skillet with compliant sausage and hash brown potatoes. Lunch was hamburger patties and cantaloupe. Dinner was grilled chicken, zucchini squash, yellow squash, and bell,peppers with ghee. Sunday breakfast was leftover breakfast skillet. Lunch was leftover chicken and vegetables with cantaloupe. Dinner was a little bit of a mess...hard boiled eggs and olives stuffed with garlic...and blueberries. I am trying to eliminate uncooked veggies and foods on the FODMAP list, although I know I messed up with the garlic olives.

• Moderators

Diarrhea is not always a meaningful diagnostic symptom. You would just take some meds if you were me. :)

Whether you are following the FODMAPS plan or not, it is never appropriate to eat larabars. 

Will likely stick out the rest of the program but pretty disappointed that my stomach issues have been made worse on the Whole 30 even following FODMAP guidelines. I hate taking meds which just cover up the underlying issue. Not sure where to turn now.

Hard boiled eggs can be much more difficult to digest than their scrambled/fried or poached cousins - might be worth considering?

Other than that your food didn't look too bad to me.

Honestly - try adding some bone broth....

I went through this same exact thing.  My stomach issues calmed down, but my diarrhea issues stayed the same.   But adding bone broth and collagen hydrolysate helped immensely.

Also please note that when you are going through a healing process things will generally get worse before they get better.

Guest Andria

I second the suggestions to limit fruit and add in homemade bone broth.

I am going to make a suggestion, before you start eliminating more things, to add in more soluble fiber.  Soluble fiber is helpful when dealing with IBS-D.  Grains and legumes are high in soluble fiber, so if you were consuming them regularly pre-Whole30 you might find your diarrhea worse now with the strict elimination of these foods.  From the look of your meals, you have not replaced the soluble fiber in the form of vegetables.  Consider adding a serving to each of your meals.

Carrots

Yams
Sweet potatoes
Turnips
Rutabagas
Parsnips
Beets
Squash and pumpkins
Mushrooms
Chestnuts
Avocados (though they do have some fat)
Bananas
Applesauce
Mangoes
Papayas (also digestive aids that relieve gas and indigestion)

Also, consider the standard recommendations to consume at least one serving of fermented foods per day (or a good quality compliant probiotic) and digestive enzymes at the start of each meal.

Archived