High energy foods besides swt potatoes, potatoes, and beets?

MonciaB

Hello!  

Are there any additional high energy items besides those listed in the title?  Day 5, getting a little tired of them already.  lol.  

My basic meal set up has been thus far:

M1: protein, fat, high energy item (sweet potato, banana, or reg potato), fruit

M2: Veggies, meat, fat, high energy item

snack (sometimes)- fruit

M3: Meat, veggies, fat

I'm nursing and keeping up with four kids, so I feel like this is an ok plan, but I'd be happy to hear suggestions for tweaking, or if more fat could replace the starchy veg and still give me a good energy level.  

For nursing moms we recommend 4 meals. Instead of a fruit snack, have another full meal that includes protein and fat. The starchy veg is good, but really honestly sustained energy comes from protein and fat. Try having more of that along with your vegetables.

For starchy veg, winter squash (like butternut or pumpkin), plantain and taro root are some more options.

For nursing moms we recommend 4 meals. Instead of a fruit snack, have another full meal that includes protein and fat. The starchy veg is good, but really honestly sustained energy comes from protein and fat. Try having more of that along with your vegetables.

For starchy veg, winter squash (like butternut or pumpkin), plantain and taro root are some more options.

Thanks!  I know I can add another full meal, but I just haven't felt hungry for it.  I haven't been hungry at all, actually.  But I'm afraid if I leave out the starch, I might.  I will try to add some fat/protein to my fruit snack if I have one, then I won't feel the need to have a starch at each meal if I don't feel like it.    

I just saw parsnip fries and homemade ketchup on The Clothes Make the Girl blog, so...  I can see some options for next week!  :-D  

I would add your fruit to your meals and have a veggie/protein/fat snack instead. Fruit on its own will set you up for a sugar spike and drop--and I know with nursing you need your energy! Also, there have been several discussions here on the forums about how having fruit with breakfast also leads to a sugar spike and subsequent drop and sets people up for faux hunger and an energy slump later on in the day. Personally, I would have a carby veg--sweet potato, beets, yams, winter squash at breakfast instead of fruit. 

I'm nursing (I'm actually nursing as I write this!) and I can't get by without four meals. That seems to be the key to keeping my energy up.

Your experience may be different, but I find that the longer I do this, the more I think of "high energy" foods as being things like deviled eggs or chicken with avocado: fat/protein powerhouses that will see me through 'til the next meal. I do eat starchy vegetables and fruit, but a small serving (half an orange, a few carrots) seems to be plenty, provided I'm eating enough protein, non-starchy veggies, and especially fat.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't be afraid to eat good fat, especially while breastfeeding.

Definitely not afraid of fat!  Pre- W30, I probably went through a cube of butter a day for our family.  We love our fat!  

I guess I'm a bit confused.  I posted in the Log sub-forum with my menu for day 1, which I thought was pretty good.  The mod suggested I was not getting enough starchy veggies and suggested I add more as well as more fruit.  I would be happy to just have more fat if that is also an ok route.  I'm aiming for my five-a-day veggies and fruits, veggies being in especially large portions.  

Also to clarify, baby is 10 months old, so it's not like he's nursing 10 times a day anymore.  :-)  Yes, he still nurses regularly, maybe 4-5x a day, but it's not quite the same drain as a 0-6 month old.  

Definitely not afraid of fat!  Pre- W30, I probably went through a cube of butter a day for our family.  We love our fat!  

I guess I'm a bit confused.  I posted in the Log sub-forum with my menu for day 1, which I thought was pretty good.  The mod suggested I was not getting enough starchy veggies and suggested I add more as well as more fruit.  I would be happy to just have more fat if that is also an ok route.  I'm aiming for my five-a-day veggies and fruits, veggies being in especially large portions.  

Actually, Tom didn't say anything about fruit. His suggestion was starchy veggies twice a day.  :) 

We generally suggest vegetables over fruit, as they tend to be more nutrient-dense.

Actually, Tom didn't say anything about fruit. His suggestion was starchy veggies twice a day.  :) 

We generally suggest vegetables over fruit, as they tend to be more nutrient-dense.

My bad!  He wrote "meat, fish, and vegetables" and I read it meat, fruit, and vegetables!  LOL.  No wonder I was a bit lost.  All better now.  :-)  Thank you for pointing this out to me.  

Also to clarify, baby is 10 months old, so it's not like he's nursing 10 times a day anymore. :-) Yes, he still nurses regularly, maybe 4-5x a day, but it's not quite the same drain as a 0-6 month old.

My nursing "baby" will be three years old in a couple months, and I still feel like I need four template meals. Everyone's different, of course, but I find that the breastfeeding = four meals recommendation still applies, even with an older nursling.

My nursing "baby" will be three years old in a couple months, and I still feel like I need four template meals. Everyone's different, of course, but I find that the breastfeeding = four meals recommendation still applies, even with an older nursling.

It's wonderful that you are doing extended nursing!  I am a breastfeeding counsellor and doula, so my hat is off to you!  

My issue is that I have not been hungry since starting the W30.  I am eating at "meal time" but I am not hungry.  I follow the template more or less to be sure my meals are large enough and I'm definitely FULL after meals.  I keep hoping my body will start talking to me about hunger and satiation soon, so I can get a better feel for things.  Prior to W30, my breakfast was a glass of chocolate milk (shudder!). This morning I had two fried eggs, 3 strips bacon, and a huge mound of raw, grated beet with vinaigrette.  I had to sort of force myself to eat it all.  

So anyway, maybe once my hunger signals are coming a bit more naturally, I will find the fourth meal necessary!  Until then, I'll just skip it.  I've moved my fruit to be "dessert" after lunch and dinner as per suggestions, which will make my meals even bigger, lol.  

So anyway, maybe once my hunger signals are coming a bit more naturally, I will find the fourth meal necessary!  Until then, I'll just skip it.  I've moved my fruit to be "dessert" after lunch and dinner as per suggestions, which will make my meals even bigger, lol.  

If you are experiencing low energy, that means you need to eat more. Don't skip the 4th meal if you don't have the energy you need.

Do skip the fruit, though: fruit is not required and if you don't have enough appetite for the template, it can really help to set the fruit aside to leave more room for meat, fat and vegetables.

Archived