Secretly Sabotaged

SunshineHazel

I have been secretly sabotaging myself......with three days left to go.....

I was diagnosed a few years ago with two vitamin deficiencies so I take several vitamins everyday (well at least 4 out of 7 days, no ones perfect).  So yesterday I went to the pharmacy to pick up some more vitamins that I was running low on and for the first time it dawned on me to read the label.  Much to my horrific surprise I discovered that almost all of the vitamins I have been taking contain some form of Soy. Even more shocking some of them even include a form or sugar and/or sulfites.

I haven't been seeing the results I was anticipating and now I know why. I feel so disappointed.  :(

• Administrators

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that!  Soy and sulphites are definitely huge disruptors of the human body.  What were your post Whole30 plans? Were you going to do a scheduled reintro? Or a slow roll?  If you were planning on keeping on keeping on for the most part, consider keeping soy and sulphites out for an additional 30 days to allow recovery from whatever they may be causing.

You  don't' specifically mention what results you were hoping to see but if you have underlying health conditions or a background of severe restriction or up and down dieting, this could take more than 30 days for you to start to see the healing.  Might be worth it to extend for another round?

After your original diagnosis...have you been checked again to see if the deficiencies are still there? Next Whole 30, you could probably get by without any supplements for only 30 days if you've been taking them for a few years now. 

If it is a potassium deficiency, I know it's best not to stop those. Check it out again with your doctor for the best course of action. 

Guest Andria

I agree with Meadowlily, consider having your vitamin levels re-evaluated.  It is possible by eating a nutrient dense whole foods diet you may have corrected those deficiencies.  With that said, there are some vitamin deficiencies that occur independent of diet.  For myself, I was found to be deficient in vitamin B12 and vitamin D despite following a mostly Whole30 diet and getting plenty of sun.  Even with vitamin D supplementation, my levels are still lower than I would like...

Alternatively, your gut may need to heal, first, before it can absorb these nutrients.  Considering you were consuming soy and sulphites throughout your Whole30, you likely did not achieve full gut healing. I would consider completing a full 30 days soy and sulphite free.

After your original diagnosis...have you been checked again to see if the deficiencies are still there? Next Whole 30, you could probably get by without any supplements for only 30 days if you've been taking them for a few years now. 

If it is a potassium deficiency, I know it's best not to stop those. Check it out again with your doctor for the best course of action. 

I agree with Meadowlily, consider having your vitamin levels re-evaluated.  It is possible by eating a nutrient dense whole foods diet you may have corrected those deficiencies.  With that said, there are some vitamin deficiencies that occur independent of diet.  For myself, I was found to be deficient in vitamin B12 and vitamin D despite following a mostly Whole30 diet and getting plenty of sun.  Even with vitamin D supplementation, my levels are still lower than I would like...

Alternatively, your gut may need to heal, first, before it can absorb these nutrients.  Considering you were consuming soy and sulphites throughout your Whole30, you likely did not achieve full gut healing. I would consider completing a full 30 days soy and sulphite free.

Hi Meadowlily and Andria,

The vitamin deficiencies are actually a side effect of two genetic blood disorders. I am stuck with them for life.

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that!  Soy and sulphites are definitely huge disruptors of the human body.  What were your post Whole30 plans? Were you going to do a scheduled reintro? Or a slow roll?  If you were planning on keeping on keeping on for the most part, consider keeping soy and sulphites out for an additional 30 days to allow recovery from whatever they may be causing.

You  don't' specifically mention what results you were hoping to see but if you have underlying health conditions or a background of severe restriction or up and down dieting, this could take more than 30 days for you to start to see the healing.  Might be worth it to extend for another round?

Hi Ladyshanny,

I was intending on doing a re-intro after a short break (going to a Yankees game). I will try to find vitamins that are Whole30 friendly for the next round and well for all future use actually. 

Hope fully the second round will go better.

Hi Ladyshanny,

I was intending on doing a re-intro after a short break (going to a Yankees game). I will try to find vitamins that are Whole30 friendly for the next round and well for all future use actually. 

Hope fully the second round will go better.

A reintro after the Yankees game...what will you be eating at the game?   You're going to do a new W30  without soy vitamins. The Whole 30 without soy is going to give you authentic reintro results.... 

• 4 weeks later...

Dallas @ Whole9 says

September 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Good question. In general, most of the supplements are absorbed better when we take them with food, and your fish oil and D definitely fall into that category. The magnesium is best at bedtime on a more-or-less empty stomach. As far as spacing them out is concerned, smaller doses throughout the day makes for generally better rates of absorption, too, so split your fish oil up among a couple meals.

Jean,

1. We don’t really value taking a multivitamin, as most of the substances are available in adequate amounts in real, fresh food anyway, and the compounds in most multivitamins are poorly absorbable anyway. Aim for more fresh vegetables and fruit. Also, let me reiterate that just becausewe take these things doesn’t mean we’re telling you to do the same. Review our Supplement Evaluation Checklist and figure out what things are on your list.
2. The liquid fish oil lets you skip all the ingredients in the capsules, and likely has a better absorption rate. There are some enteric-coated capsules that claim better absorption rates, but I’m not totally sold on those. The liquid tends to be a more cost-effective alternative to pills, too. All in all, do whatever works for you.
3. The magnesium is really inexpensive and is MUCH more higher recommended than using melatonin. While a melatonin supplement is “natural”, it can mess up your own body’s production of melatonin, so we’d recommend skipping it altogether. Magnesium also does some great things for anti-inflammatory processes and bone health, so it has other “bonus” effects besides just improving sleep quality.

Archived