Ghee

jocko

I am about to start the program, looking for Ghee and noticed the prices range from $10 to hundreds. Which one? Are the less expensive ones good as long as they are organic?? HELP!

For the best quality/cost ratio, I would recommend making your own ghee from grassfed butter. Kerrygold butter is pretty widely available and, usually, not exorbitantly priced. Also remember that you don't have to have ghee while doing a Whole30. There are lots of other fats available.

Guest Andria

If you want to use ghee, definitely make your own; it's super easy.  I can't be bothered to spend money for paleo mayo, ketchup or ghee as they are so simple to make. As Munkers said, Kerrygold is a good quality affordable butter and Organic Valley and Kalona both produce organic, pastured butter.

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/how-to-make-ghee/

If you buy ghee my recommended brand is Tin Star Foods - I typically think ghee tastes 'off' other than for cooking but their ghee is amazing. I have not made my own yet...maybe someday but cooking is enough of a challenge for me so I will take my conveniences where I can and ghee is one of them.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I am in my 3rd day but still have not made/bought ghee. Unfortunately I live in a small burg and even the local Kroger has very little organic, grass fed anything, so I guess I will just have to use the unsalted butter they stock. I have looked at some of the websites that have the good food but I can't afford to shop there.

Thanks for all of your help 

• Administrators

You do not HAVE to have ghee....just so you know.  There are lots of other cooking fats that may be more accessible to you.  Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil etc.  And then there is always the fats you can add to the meal; avocado, olives, homemade mayo, whole eggs etc.

I don't cook with my ghee, but love it for adding extra flavor to sweet potato, green beans, well any veggie really. I cook with coconut or olive oil. I actually have found that I like ghee better than butter. It has a sweetness butter lacks.

Organic is great if you can get it and it's affordable, but regular ghee is good too.

If you're after the cheapest ghee, look for an indian grocer, it's a basic staple.

Where ghee (and butter*) can stop being awesome:

• If it's not yellow, don't eat it (just like butter*) - the yellow comes from the grass the cows eat
  • Make sure it's not yellow from colouring :) It's illegal in some countries, legal in others, so always read the label.

*NOTE: Butter isn't Whole30 compliant.

If you want to use ghee, definitely make your own; it's super easy.  I can't be bothered to spend money for paleo mayo, ketchup or ghee as they are so simple to make. As Munkers said, Kerrygold is a good quality affordable butter and Organic Valley and Kalona both produce organic, pastured butter.

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/how-to-make-ghee/

KerryGold makes the best clarified butter.  I make my own balsamic reductions and sauces. No Tessemae or fancy extras...we manage.  

• 1 month later...

If you live near a Trader Joe's, check there for Kerry Gold. The ones near me carry it both unsalted and salted and it's cheaper than at my regular supermarket. Maybe it's even cheaper at Costco, but there's no Costco near me.

Today I looked for clarified butter at a nearby health food store and found Organic Valley Ghee and Pure Indian Foods Ghee. I bought the Organic Valley because it was cheaper.

I may try making it eventually but I'm already spending so much time in the kitchen that I appreciate the convenience of the Organic Valley Ghee and the price was better than I expected it to be.

At Whole30 Convenience vs Homemade, it says 16 oz organic pastured butter makes 10 oz of ghee at a cost of $1.00 an ounce. The large-size Organic Valley Ghee is 13 oz and it cost $12.09, so less than a dollar (93 cents) an ounce.

I buy ghee from an international market near me. It was about 6 dollars for a good size jar. It is not grassfed and might not have the best taste but its a good neutral cooking fat. If you want to drizzle your ghee on potatoes or vegetables I suggest buying good quality or making your own from kerrygold.

I use Purity Farm Organic ghee that I get at my local co-op. While it is pricey, I find I don't use much. Pretty much I save it for those foods where I really want a butter taste rather than cook with it so it lasts much longer than a pound of butter ever did for me. I tend to drizzle olive oil on most of my veggies and use that as well as coconut oil for cooking.

Amazon has a number of organic, grass fed ghee if you have nothing available locally.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You do not HAVE to have ghee....just so you know.  There are lots of other cooking fats that may be more accessible to you.  Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil etc.  And then there is always the fats you can add to the meal; avocado, olives, homemade mayo, whole eggs etc.

I made some ghee and I am not thrilled with it. Once it is gone I don't plan to make or purchase any more. I think it's easy enough to do without.

I made some ghee with butter from the grocery store (no organic options). It smells a bit like caramel...and tastes great for cooking veggies etc, is that wrong? I had to heat it 2x because I could see that there was still milk, and it browned a bit.

• Moderators

I made some ghee with butter from the grocery store (no organic options). It smells a bit like caramel...and tastes great for cooking veggies etc, is that wrong? I had to heat it 2x because I could see that there was still milk, and it browned a bit.

That's fine -- some people brown theirs more than others. As long as you strained off all the milk solids, it's good.

Archived