big energy drop in afternoon

Ragsdalk

Hello - I'm currently on Day 12 of my first whole30. I'm doing pretty well, sleeping better than I have in months, having more energy in the morning, but I am struggling (and have been every day) with a huge dip in energy come 3-4 in the afternoon. It always sets in w/ a mild headache and a daze. I am training for a half-marathon that is on October 7th so I normally run in the afternoons and just can't figure out the right combination of lunch food or pre-workout meal that would power me through. I'm eating plenty of sweet potatoes, root veggies, protein, and fat. Any suggestions? Or has anyone struggled with this?

• Moderators

Being on day 12 means you could be experiencing carb flu, but having energy in the mornings and in the evenings, and a big dip in the afternoon is puzzling.

What are you eating for lunch, versus breakfast and supper? Are you staying hydrated all day. I'm bad about not drinking much during the day and being a little dehydrated by late afternoon.

Tom, appreciate your guidance here. What is carb flu?

I've been trying to keep the menu varied, but normally starting my day with two eggs cooked with spinach and avocado slices. Today I had two eggs, one sausage link, and sweet potatoe hash. I ate at 6:30 and still feel pretty good.

Lunch is normally leftovers from the night before. For instance, I am having cauliflower mash and half a pork chop today along w/ an apple.

In the evenings I've been having protein (mixed it up between chicken breasts, salmon filets, sauteed shrimp, or ground beef). Mixed veggies (spinach, kale, peppers, carrots, or parsnips - normally roasted). I then normally have some mixed berries after dinner.

Because of the running, I've been trying to eat a sweet potatoe a day as well. I think I'm eating A LOT of food and feel sustained across the day expect for this period. My runs have also been tough, but I expected that based on previous posts. I'm hoping it will rebound soon.

• Moderators

Carb flu is a general feeling of tiredness and stomach discomfort that many people feel within the first 2 weeks of converting away from a bread/grain based diet to a generally lower carb/higher protein and fat diet.

Carbs burn fast, so people who live on carbs often experience energy crashes when it has been a while since eating. When you eat more protein and fat and less carbs, your body becomes comfortable getting energy from fat and energy crashes tend to disappear.

The timing of your energy loss remains puzzling, but I would experiment with eating a little more for lunch. Your lunch for today sounds a little light on fat. It is hard to argue if you are not feeling hungry before supper, but that would be the first thing I'd try.

Thanks Robin. I think I'll try that because I upp'ed my fat at lunch yesterday and still felt low energy by 4ish. My run last night (at 6:30) was a struggle. I'm hoping that as I go into week 3 my energy will rebound. I also added more food to today's lunch. Having a piece of grilled salmon, roasted parsnips and carrots and a sweet potato with some coconut oil. Fingers crossed.

I used to get the 3 pm slumps prior to W30. My blood sugar would plummet if I waited too long to eat or miss breakfast.

By Day 16 of W30, I had plenty of energy and I sail thru the afternoons with no problem. Prior to W30/Paleo, I would feel really tired/lethargic in the afternoon. I now do IF 14/10 to keep by morning blood sugar level (it tends to be high in the mornings). So I do the bulletproof coffee with coconut oil/clarified butter and start my eating window about 10am. I find that the protein/fat combo for lunch (big lunch) really helps. I eat 1/2 about 10-11 and the rest I save to nosh on about 2-3 pm. This helps me keep my focus and energy level up.

If you are not dealing with hormone inbalances, it may just be that you are not getting enough protein/fat combo to keep your energy up and your blood sugar leveled out.

Archived