Keeping your cool in the heat....

Day 9. I don't know you are, but where I am it's hot. Been in the high '90s to 100's. Last night the house was so hot and I was wanting a Diet Coke sooo bad. Grateful to say I've maintained compliance, but wondering if anyone has any favorites for cool/refreshing options besides "gazpacho" or cold soup (blech, lol)?

Appreciate any creative ideas!

• Administrators

Kombucha? Ice water with a splash of apple cider vinegar? Sparkling water? La Croix or similar? 

It's a bazillion degrees here too right now and while I would rather have something "fun", I am drinking loads of fresh, clear water because that is what your body needs most of all in intense heat.

I make herbal iced tea in my ice tea maker-- I get spicy jazzy tea and drink that. Soo yummy-- ice water with lemon, or one of the fruit infused waters. The real ones, the ones you make yourself. Sometimes, I like to take kombucha and put a small amount in the bottom of a glass and top off with cold soda water--it is fancy, takes care of my need for bubbles and is fun. 

Water. Lots and lots of water. Sometimes I add a splash of citrus or some ACV like ladyshanny suggested. That little bit of acid helps cut through that thick/sticky feeling in your mouth that can happen when you're dehydrated. (Which is the same reason why soda is so appealing in hot weather even though it's a crappy hydration choice due to all the sugar and additives.)

When it's really sweltering, I'll chug a tall glass of water, take a cold shower, and then hop out and drink some more.

I've been chugging a lot of LaCroix sparkling water lately.  I particularly find the Piña Fraise (Pineapple Strawberry) flavor to be very refreshing.

A non-food/drink way to stay cool: I love this Cool as a Cucumber Mist from Plum Island Soap Company. I spray it on my face on hot days when I step out of the shower, at the beach, or any time I need to be refreshed. 

Guest Andria

LOL, cold soup/gazpacho is the last thing I would think of when wanting something cool and refreshing!!

Ice water with lemon is the ultimate in refreshment! Learn to retrain your tastebuds away from sickeningly sweet, artificial flavored beverages.  Diet sodas, when I drank them on occasion in the past, were never refreshing for me - they always made me more thirsty.

I love Iced Tzao Passion tea. Last time I purchased it was compliant, but always check labels as companies sneak non-compliant ingredients into teas (sugar, rice flour - Teavana is notorious for this :angry:, soy lecithin)

http://whole9life.com/2012/10/quench-your-thirst-whole9-style/

• Moderators

This advice comes from ayurvedic wisdom: focusing on eating more cooling foods such as cucumbers, cilantro, watermelon, mint, greens of all varieties, fennel, celery, and grapes can be beneficial as well as reducing foods that are heating, such as peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes. Coconut is extremely cooling, so cooking with coconut oil, using coconut milk and drinking coconut water can be helpful in addition to generally staying hydrated with plenty of water, preferably drunk between meals so as not to dilute stomach acid during meals.

Archived