Bento Box/protein Box

Hey all!

You know how starbucks has their protein boxes and such that you can grab for lunch? I really like to do that sort of thing for lunch- fruit, carrots, bell pepper, olives, sliced chicken...that sort of thing. I know it is east to make the ingredients compliant, but is this sort of meal in the spirit of Whole30? Most of what I usually pack are typical snack foods that promote a hand-to-mouth snacking behavior, which I know snacking is should be unnecessary but wasn't sure if it was applied to a meal, if it would be okay. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

• Moderators

You can still eat those types of meals mindfully, without distraction, which would be in keeping with W30 principles. Now, if you're doing that kind of lunch because it lets you not take a lunch break and keep working, or if you're packing it so that you can graze on it all afternoon, then it might be a problem.

Most of the W30 compliant foods people use for snacking -- fruit, nuts, jerky -- can be part of a template meal, it's all in how you eat it.

• Administrators

Uhhh....last time I saw a Starbucks "protein box" it contained one hard boiled egg, some cheese, a flat bread of some sort, Justin's nut butter and a bunch of fruit.  Maybe the ones that you are seeing are different but besides the egg and fruit it would not be compliant.  And not nearly enough food.  Not by a landslide.

Please make your lunch.

• Moderators

Maybe I misread, but I assumed she meant she was packing a lunch (see the "Most of what I usually pack are typical snack foods" sentence) -- just with those kinds of foods. I've packed lunches like that before -- grilled chicken, hard boiled eggs, snap peas, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, carrots, with one or two kinds of dipping sauces, maybe a little fruit. Easy enough to make it according to the meal template, nice when it's too hot to want to eat anything heavy.

I read her concern as being, is it okay to eat finger foods for a meal -- which is why I pointed out it's fine to do that as long as you continue to eat mindfully and don't use it as a way to graze or continue to work without stopping to eat.

• Administrators

Oh, haha, woops!  You're probably right, Shannon.  I saw the reference to the Starbucks "protein box" and may have misread the rest.

Starbucks = no.

Packing "tapas" = yes as long as all the criteria for the template and your comment to her above about not grazing are met.

;)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/107087299363/whole30-day-4-paleo-packed-lunches

Here are some ideas for the bento box style lunches from Nom Nom Paleo--but please do as she suggests and leave the snacks that she packs in the lunch out! Not here to feed the sugar dragon, but these will give you some ideas.

My ideas-- if you need an Asian kick, do a spin on spring rolls-- leave off the rice wrapper and use butter lettuce or cabbage leaves instead. Pack some Sunshine Sauce http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/  to dip in or one of coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil and a some chopped chilis if you want some heat.  Add some cold cucumber noodle salad, cold poached shrimp and you should be good to go. 

I also LOVE cold meatballs with a compliant dip or two, crunchy carrots, celery sticks and jicama to dip along with the meatballs, a double serving of coleslaw, maybe with a bit of apple tossed in the coleslaw. Compliant sausages work well here, as does cold meatloaf or left over meat from the night before. 

Archived