Starting June15th

LanaJ

Congratulations to everyone. We made it through. :)

I did take my weight and measurements today. -4.4 lbs, -6 inches, though results may be somewhat skewed as I'm about to hit that time.. Weight loss wasn't my primary goal with this, but I am happy with these results. Over the past 3 years, my weight kept creeping up no matter what I did. This past year, especially, I noticed a gain in weight and a decline of how I felt emotionally and physically. With Whole30, I feel better in my skin and more confident. I've slept better, which has been a major problem for me for years. My energy is more stable through the day. My sugar cravings are less intense, and I'm more aware of all the hidden, unnecessary sugars. I'm improving in my running, as my boyfriend and I are training up for a 10k. I have a greater appreciation for natural sweetness of fruits - I had a peach with lunch the other day that was just heavenly.

I'm continuing on, planning for at least another 30 days. I feel like I'm still just getting the hang of Whole30, and I want to get to a point where it's a little bit easier before I start riding my own bike. Plus I could still use some distance from my sugar habit. My boyfriend and I are going to restart Crossfit in a couple of weeks, since we no longer have the scheduling issues that made it a problem before. I'm also going to start logging my food on the forum, which I haven't done yet. I'm excited to see where this takes me.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't own a scale and didn't try to weigh myself before I started so I'm not sure exactly how much I weighed before the whole 30. I do know that at my last doctor's visit I was creeping towards 160. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'd really love to see that number back below 150 but I'm going to try to focus on how good I feel and just be pumped that my clothes are fitting better.

Last night my boyfriend decided to watch Fed Up on netflix and I think he was a little shocked. When it was over he said, "We need to keep eating this way," which of course is fine with me! It'll be even easier to keep up with the healthy eating if he's doing it with me. Now he just needs to break himself of his soda at breakfast habit. (I know. It's terrible.)

So, 30 days and I did it, which is HUGE for me. The only slip up, unintentional, was drinking Kambucha with a bit of sugar in it. I really need to start taking my readers into the store so that I can read the fine print. I could have sworn I didn't see sugar as one of the ingredients the first time I looked. Anyway, apart from that, I was very good. Probably too much fruit, which is hard to resist in summer, in Wisconsin, because it's such a short season for a lot of great fruit. I have no desire to reintroduce any other foods right now, so by default, I guess I'm still Whole30+

I have to admit to some disappointment today in seeing only a 4lb. loss. I did a no no and weighed myself after two weeks and had lost 6 lbs so to have gained 2 lbs during the last two weeks is puzzling to me. I feel very bloated and really have not felt great for the last two weeks. Kinda back to some of the old ailments that I had prior to starting. That's another reason I'm sticking with it.

Any insights into why this may be happening??????

• Moderators

So, 30 days and I did it, which is HUGE for me. The only slip up, unintentional, was drinking Kambucha with a bit of sugar in it. I really need to start taking my readers into the store so that I can read the fine print. I could have sworn I didn't see sugar as one of the ingredients the first time I looked. Anyway, apart from that, I was very good. Probably too much fruit, which is hard to resist in summer, in Wisconsin, because it's such a short season for a lot of great fruit. I have no desire to reintroduce any other foods right now, so by default, I guess I'm still Whole30+

I have to admit to some disappointment today in seeing only a 4lb. loss. I did a no no and weighed myself after two weeks and had lost 6 lbs so to have gained 2 lbs during the last two weeks is puzzling to me. I feel very bloated and really have not felt great for the last two weeks. Kinda back to some of the old ailments that I had prior to starting. That's another reason I'm sticking with it.

Any insights into why this may be happening??????

Weight loss is not linear. Your weight can vary from day to day by a couple of pounds. Some people find theirs can change throughout the course of the day. This is one reason the rules say not to weigh yourself -- it is really not a useful measurement, as it can depend on so many things, like if you're retaining water or if you're a little constipated or maybe you ate a bigger meal before you weighed this time than last time, who knows, really. You may also have lost fat and gained muscle, especially if you've been working out. Have you noticed clothes fitting looser?

You're feeling bloated right now -- that's probably contributing to the weight thing. If you want to figure out why you're not feeling great, you might want to start a thread over in the troubleshooting section of the forum listing a couple of days' worth of food, including approximate portion sizes, water intake, exercise, and sleep. There may be some easy fix you can try to feel better.

In general, things that might cause bloating include eating too many nuts, eating a lot of raw vegetables, eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, or brussel sprouts, or not drinking enough water.

• Administrators

I weighed and measured this morning. I was a little disappointed to only see a 2lb weight loss, because I have a substantial amount of weight to lose (80lbs). But I still feel bloated this morning, so maybe that's part of it.

I did lose 2.4% body fat, so if I do the math, that's 6lbs of body fat gone, which IS huge! And overall I lost 4", mainly in my chest and waist.

I'm still going to keep moving forward thru the 30th. I'm hopeful that if my body realizes this isn't a fad, that it will start letting go of my excess fat and I'll have more weight loss overall. I still believe I'm treating my body really well.

I do need to exercise more - I've done a little, but my foot/ankle has held me back from a lot of cardio. I'm hoping it heals completely soon!!

You have a lovely attitude in that you didn't get what you hoped for but you understand the idea behind why you should keep going. Nice to hear, refreshing! Although you cannot do cardio, you can probably do seated weight lifting, yes? Lift heavy things over and over. Muscle is what you want to have and you won't bulk up but it will allow you to shed fat while being strong. :)

Wahooooo! We did it! So proud of everyone for sticking with it. Even though this wasn't my first one, it was still tough and a huge accomplishment to finish! I didn't weigh myself, I don't know if I'm going to. I feel good, my clothes fit better, I feel like that's enough for now. I don't want it to be a "bad" number and make me disapointed.

Some things I learned this time around:

1. Next time I will do this before summer, before bbqs and parties and drinking on the deck and vacations. And before kids are out for the summer!

2. I tried and conquered poached eggs and they are awesome!!

3. feeling good in an outfit or bathing suit or dress is WAY more satisfying than cookies, cake or other "treats".

4. Rewards should not be food based, for me or my children.

5. I saved a lot of money by cooking in and not buying wine!

6. I feel better when I wake up and get moving early.

7. I can have just as much fun at a party not stuffing myself and drinking AND I feel much better the next morning!

My plan going forward is to stick with a paleo lifestyle, but include potatoes. I will let myself enjoy non paleo foods if there is an occasion, like a dinner party or celebration or an occasional family pizza night. But I will not use food as a reward, or treatment for anything. I want to model healthy food behaviors for my kids, but also teach them it's ok to let go every once in a while.

Good luck out there kids!!

You have a lovely attitude in that you didn't get what you hoped for but you understand the idea behind why you should keep going. Nice to hear, refreshing! Although you cannot do cardio, you can probably do seated weight lifting, yes? Lift heavy things over and over. Muscle is what you want to have and you won't bulk up but it will allow you to shed fat while being strong. :)

Thank you :)

Ultimately I asked myself 'are you healthier today than you were 30 days ago?' And there's absolutely no way that I can deny that I am. Therefore I should keep pushing forward.

And lifting weights is the primary workout I've done during whole30 - usually a body pump class because it's my favorite. I just know I need to be doing more cardio to get into a burn cycle.

Thanks to all of the moderators for your insight and support - I know it takes a lot of your day to give back to the site in this way!

Wahooooo! We did it! So proud of everyone for sticking with it. Even though this wasn't my first one, it was still tough and a huge accomplishment to finish! I didn't weigh myself, I don't know if I'm going to. I feel good, my clothes fit better, I feel like that's enough for now. I don't want it to be a "bad" number and make me disapointed.

Some things I learned this time around:

1. Next time I will do this before summer, before bbqs and parties and drinking on the deck and vacations. And before kids are out for the summer!

2. I tried and conquered poached eggs and they are awesome!!

3. feeling good in an outfit or bathing suit or dress is WAY more satisfying than cookies, cake or other "treats".

4. Rewards should not be food based, for me or my children.

5. I saved a lot of money by cooking in and not buying wine!

6. I feel better when I wake up and get moving early.

7. I can have just as much fun at a party not stuffing myself and drinking AND I feel much better the next morning!

My plan going forward is to stick with a paleo lifestyle, but include potatoes. I will let myself enjoy non paleo foods if there is an occasion, like a dinner party or celebration or an occasional family pizza night. But I will not use food as a reward, or treatment for anything. I want to model healthy food behaviors for my kids, but also teach them it's ok to let go every once in a while.

Good luck out there kids!!

Enjoy your wine!!

Happy Day 31!

I did my weight/measurements and photos today and was very happy with the result but nothing will beat the satisfaction of pain relief that I feel. I wont post my photos yet as I just am not ready however I will share my other results. 

Weight: I lost 10.8 lbs

Inches: I lost a total of 8.5 inches total.

I can't thank the Whole 30 creators, moderators and fellow Whole 30ers for all of the information, input, help and encouragement; you are all wonderful and very much appreciated.

I am continuing until the end of July because I want to get as much benefit as possible and I simply love eating this way. I have an appointment with my Dr on July 28th, I am excited to see what her take is on the progress I have had.

Hi there everyone,

Congratulations to all!!!

Monee - you are an inspiration!  

MeghanE - Your points are spot on!!  

Tameva - congrats - those are great stats!!! Come back and post what your doc thinks about your improvements!

hanamizu - good luck with your doc appt today.  I haven't seen "Fed Up" yet - I'll put it on my list.

Brendl - but how do you feel?  Do you feel better?  Are your clothes looser?

I decided to weigh myself and I am about 8 lbs down.  I do feel like I've made that switch to being a 'fat burner', so it's only a matter of time, if I keep eating this way, that my body will find a happy equilibrium.  How long will that take and what will the number be?  Who knows.  My main motivation to starting this Whole30 was the alarming blood test results I had in May.  Pre-diabetes, etc.  So the weight loss is wonderful, but it's all part of a bigger picture.  I'm going back in October to re-take my blood work.  So that's my goal, to stick with it through October 15th.  Four months should be enough to at least see if there is a trend in the right direction.

Thank you all for posting your thoughts through this grand experiment!  It has helped me so much!!!

Well I just got back from the doctor and my weight is at exactly 150, which means I lost 8-10 pounds. I am really happy about this. I have tried everything in the past; counting calories, exercising 5 days a week, working with a personal trainer and the scale never budged. It really goes to show how important diet is and moreso WHAT you eat as opposed to just how much.

I didn't end up having my cocktail last night. We had to take our dog to the emergency vet and by the time we got home I was too exhausted to do anything but go to bed. Mr. Bad (the dog) has medicine now and already seems to be doing much better.

I just bought some black beans to have with lunch for the first part of my reintroduction and it feels weird. If I didn't have this big trip coming up and want to know what foods are most likely to have unpleasant effects I would probably just make this a whole 60. Eating this way feels so natural now that the idea of adding things back in feels a little counter intuitive.

Archived