Starting June15th

LanaJ

I am also starting on June 15th. I came across this program in my search to find relief from fibromyalgia, I already eat pretty well so this seems really do-able. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I wish you all much encouragement, we are going to rock the next 30 days!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello June 15thers! In some ways looking forward to the next 30 days,and hoping I can be creative enough with food choices to keep me going and on track the whole time. Heading out to go grocery shopping, wondering what products folks have found at trader joes, whole foods or Costco that they have liked and are compliant.

Good luck everyone, we can do this!

I'm about to venture to the grocery store to stock up on this week's groceries, but I wanted some advice first from my June 15ers. I have a pretty bad addiction to Hot Cheetos and could easily eat a big bag a day. I'm not the healthiest person normally, so I'm trying to think of better Whole30 compliant alternatives when a craving for Hot Cheetos arises. I love the spicy, salty, crunchy sensation of the Cheetos... any snacks you can think of that I can buy/make that would be a better alternative?

I'm about to venture to the grocery store to stock up on this week's groceries, but I wanted some advice first from my June 15ers. I have a pretty bad addiction to Hot Cheetos and could easily eat a big bag a day. I'm not the healthiest person normally, so I'm trying to think of better Whole30 compliant alternatives when a craving for Hot Cheetos arises. I love the spicy, salty, crunchy sensation of the Cheetos... any snacks you can think of that I can buy/make that would be a better alternative?

Snacks are discouraged on Whole30. Try to make your meals big enough to keep you satiated for 4-5hrs allowing your digestive system to rest in between. If you *must* snack - ie. you're hungry enough to eat something bland like steamed fish & broccoli then make it a mini meal of proteins, fats & preferably veggies. Fruit should not be eaten alone as a snack. Nuts are a fat source on Whole30 and can cause digestive stress in some folk so eat them in moderation.

Good sized portions of fat & proteins should keep the cravings at bay, but if they *do* strike try a distraction technique, like running a bath, making a cup of herbal tea, or going for a walk...

Thank you for the clarification; it will certainly be difficult for me to stop my snacking mentality.

I just returned from the store and spent about $100 on my food for the week (though hopefully some of it lasts beyond the week), which is a blow to a college budget. I really hope the "sticker shock" of eating healthy doesn't discourage me!

I'm doing this for the first time and feel very anxious about it. I think I must hold some kind of record for starting and never finishing any diet other than being able to stick to a gluten free diet. One day/one hour at a time, right?! Glad to have this support system. Can't wait to just feel better.

Hi all, I started June 1st and wish you all good luck!! I highly highly HIGHLY recommend using the forum, the Timeline, the books ("It Starts With Food" and "The Whole30"), and the Daily emails to stay motivated, inspired, and armed with the information you'll need to stay on track. They have been life savers for me!

I'm doing this for the first time and feel very anxious about it. I think I must hold some kind of record for starting and never finishing any diet other than being able to stick to a gluten free diet. One day/one hour at a time, right?! Glad to have this support system. Can't wait to just feel better.

It really is all about one day at a time but remember this isn't a diet - you shouldn't feel hungry at all. I was Gluten Free and following a low fodmap diet due to food intolerances before my first Whole30 in 2014 and I think I had it easier than some because I wasn't missing bread etc so maybe you'll find some positives like that too. Good luck and stay in touch through the forums to get all the encouragement you need.

Hi All, My name is Pam and I am starting today too.  I have tried this before in March but didn't follow through.  I want to do it this time and am really going to try to focus on just "today"  Since my attempt in March, I have been able to get myself to enjoy of cup of black coffee each day (bye bye cream), and I have become less intimidated by cooking (when it comes to frittata's and the rib-eye steak, and roasting veggies). The "ISWF" book has been very helpful.  So, in a rambling way, I feel much more prepared.  This time, I really want to focus on NOT DRINKING ALCOHOL.  Currently, that is my achilles heal.  Best of luck to all of us!!!!!

Yea! June 15th! Dog has been walked and I just sat down for my cup of coffee with coconut milk, just took a sip...........I will survive! We all will. It's all about getting your head around it, which I will try to do! I'm sure the day will bring challenges, especially my 5pm glass of wine. Right now it's all about the eggs!, and the fat and the veggies.

Did anyone make a grocery list and is able to post on here? Also does any have meals planned for the week? I was running around this weekend and did not get a chance to plan as much as I would have liked. Heading to Whole Foods later today after work!! Had scrambled eggs this morning with fruit. Looking for different foods to have for breakfast to fill me up longer. Maybe some of the Aidels chicken and apple sausage(Whole30 compliant) and avacado. Thank u!! So excited to cook some delicious meals

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to see there's a group starting today. I completed a successful Whole30 in January 2015, but all the good habits I developed then have faded away and I'm back to eating pizza at every opportunity. So here I am! I'm excited to participate in the forums this time - last time I read the posts but didn't participate, and I think posting this time will help me stay motivated and accountable. Day 1, here we go! Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone - I'm starting today as well - very excited to see where this journey leads me! :)

Got my food all prepped over the weekend and I'm about to go grab my lunch out of the fridge.

Look forward to interacting with all of you. Sending you best wishes as you embrace today!

-Reneé

Hi everyone!  I started today too - this is my second Whole30 (first one was 65 days starting Jan 1st).  Glad to see there are others starting mid-month!  Hubby is doing it with me this time around!

I've generally stuck to a mostly Paleo diet, but have re-introduced snacking throughout the day, so I'm craving a snack right now, but resisting!  I did it initially for health reasons (have both IBS and GERD) and have been able to keep it mostly under control (have been having a few flare ups in the last month or so), which is why I'm doing it again.  I want to keep and ingrain the good eating habits forever.

I've been gluten free for almost 3 years, but since the last Whole30, I'm also dairy free (except for a little cream in my coffee, which is now replaced with almond milk) and corn free (including popcorn, corn chips, canola oil) as I've learned I'm a bit sensitive to those items.

I've maintained my weight (lost 10 pounds, 11 inches) but re-gained some inches from when I finished in early March.  Plan to stick to it and get some good results!

So what's on everyone's menus this week? I'm single and cooking for one, but this is what I prepped this weekend:

Mini Frittatas

Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole

Sonoma Chicken Salad

Kaluha Pig

Taco Meat

Apple/Almond Butter Sandwiches

Hard Boiled Eggs

Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice

Roasted Tomatoes

Asparagus

Pepper Strips

It's day 2 for me now and feeling pretty good. Didn't have my glass of wine while watching Game of Thrones last night and the world didn't stop!

I'm going to cook up a batch of asian chicken cakes to do and also some mini veggie friattatas.  

Have a great day everyone

I'm off during the summers, so I'm trying these first few days with no real meal plan or prepping. When its time to eat, I'm making whatever sounds good. We'll see if this works!

Day 1- breakfast was 2 eggs, half a bell pepper, some onion, and half an avocado. (I really dislike eggs so eating them often will be a challenge...)

Lunch was a grilled chicken burger from TJs wrapped in lettuce with avocado, tomato, onion, and steamed carrots and zucchini.

Dinner will be chicken fajita-less soup with the rest of my carrots and zucchini.

• Moderators

Did anyone make a grocery list and is able to post on here? Also does any have meals planned for the week? I was running around this weekend and did not get a chance to plan as much as I would have liked. Heading to Whole Foods later today after work!! Had scrambled eggs this morning with fruit. Looking for different foods to have for breakfast to fill me up longer. Maybe some of the Aidels chicken and apple sausage(Whole30 compliant) and avacado. Thank u!! So excited to cook some delicious meals

You might check out the Whole30 meal plans from The Clothes Make The Girl -- Week 1 is here, but there's a total of four weeks' worth, the next one should be linked in that article.

Don't forget your vegetables with breakfast. Fruit is totally optional, but we want you to eat lots of vegetables.

This is great to have such a big, lively group! I'm starting my first Whole30 TODAY and I'm nervous - but I think I'm well-prepared. I did so much shopping and cooking yesterday. :) My biggest fear is in knowing that good food choices go out the window when I go too long without eating (only 3 squares a day, eek!) and good food isn't VERY easily accessible. But I make the choice, and I'm going to try to choose me and choose wisely.

• Moderators

This is great to have such a big, lively group! I'm starting my first Whole30 TODAY and I'm nervous - but I think I'm well-prepared. I did so much shopping and cooking yesterday. :) My biggest fear is in knowing that good food choices go out the window when I go too long without eating (only 3 squares a day, eek!) and good food isn't VERY easily accessible. But I make the choice, and I'm going to try to choose me and choose wisely.

Your goal is three meals a day, but in the beginning, especially if you're used to grazing all day, you may find you cannot eat enough at each meal to stay satisfied for 4-5 hours between meals. During that time, while you're working out how much food to eat, if you're truly hungry, it is okay to eat. Just don't snack mindlessly or out of boredom or anger or sadness, and don't eat fruit or nuts on their own. Have a mini-meal with protein and fat and ideally some vegetables. If you usually carry your lunch with you to work, pack up a larger meal than you think you can eat -- go for the larger end of the meal template ranges or even a bit more than that. Eat what you can, eating evenly from the protein, fat, and veggies so there's still some of all of them left, and when you're full, put it away. If you get hungry later, go back and finish that meal.

Once you do figure out how to compose your meals, you'll find that it's not hard to go 4-5 hours between meals, but to do that, you do have to eat what may seem like really big meals.

Archived