Starting June15th

LanaJ

Day 1- breakfast was 2 eggs, half a bell pepper, some onion, and half an avocado. (I really dislike eggs so eating them often will be a challenge.

If you don't like eggs, don't eat them. :-)

Plenty of other protein options on a Whole30.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, I started June 1st and wish you all good luck!! I highly highly HIGHLY recommend using the forum, the Timeline, the books ("It Starts With Food" and "The Whole30"), and the Daily emails to stay motivated, inspired, and armed with the information you'll need to stay on track. They have been life savers for me!

I heartily agree with vozelle's input.  I loved the daily emails on my first Whole30, and the timeline kept me sane during the inevitable more challenging days.  And there is a WEALTH of info in these forums, and a ton of awesome people and moderators here to help and encourage.

Congrats on Day 1 everyone!  Day 2 can be a tough one, but we got this!

If you don't like eggs, don't eat them. :-)

Plenty of other protein options on a Whole30.

Problem is, I'm (somewhat) restricted by my protein choices. I've been a vegetarian for many years but was reintroducing seafood and chicken back to my diet for the Whole 30. These are the only 2 meats I'm eating. I feel I might get bored if I give up eggs... Maybe I'll even grow to like them!

Day 1 was somewhat challenging for me. I'm really craving chips and soda...

Today is day 1 for me. In my previous post I've just came off of another Whole 30 and felt great, but very quickly felt like I was 'falling off the wagon'. I feel that I don't 'trust' myself to make good choices yet. I have some deep routed eating issues and I found myself slipping back because "Hey, I'm not on Whole30" so I need to continue. So I'm embedding myself here and I hope that is ok with everyone. I most likely will have a sugar crash today or the next couple days because... to come clean I ate a bunch of cookies yesterday. Even though they tasted WAY too sweet and I don't even think I even tasted them. I felt extremely guilty and I knew I was settling myself back into my old habits. I need this challenge to lean on until I can find the strength to make good choices while off the challenge... So here we go!!!

Day 1

Meal 1:

3 Eggs

small handful of bacon

Peppers & Onions

Almonds

Banana

Meal 2: 

Chicken Breast

Spinach

4 Cherry Tomatoes

Cashews

2 Egg whites

Compliant mashed potatoes with sauerkraut

Meal 3:

Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti squash 

Problem is, I'm (somewhat) restricted by my protein choices. I've been a vegetarian for many years but was reintroducing seafood and chicken back to my diet for the Whole 30. These are the only 2 meats I'm eating. I feel I might get bored if I give up eggs... Maybe I'll even grow to like them!

Day 1 was somewhat challenging for me. I'm really craving chips and soda...

Don't despair - there are LOTS of ways to cook a chicken for variety, and even if you've got a whole roasted one there are lots of ways to serve it that you won't get bored. And if you're eating seafood then the world is your oyster - or rather the sea is, technically!! Personally, I *love* fish for meal one - peppered mackerel, curried monkfish, steamed salmon..... 

Be sure to be eating enough fat to keep those cravings at bay, and if you were a big sugar addict maybe increase your intake of starchy veg over the next few days to help with the transition.

And don't forget to drink water, lots of it!

Ok, I made it through day 1 and Day 2 has started off nicely. Just completed a pretty hard workout and am now having breakfast which is a frittata with clean chorizo, tomatoes. It tastes pretty darn good. I have a lunch with a friend today and have scoped out the menu to ensure there is a huge salad option I can have with no cheese. But, before I go I am going to have a snack of avocado, blueberries to make sure I don't stray off of the path. I will also survive this day without a drop of alcohol. My husband had a beer last night and I did NOT! Hip hip hooray!!!

I started yesterday as well. I was pleased to wake up this morning without the "hangover" the book warned me about. I've spent the last couple of weeks reading the book, testing out recipes and slowly cutting back on sugar and carbs so I think that was a big help. I am a big snacker though so I feel like I'm hungry constantly. Mostly I'm feeling really excited about the potential for improvement. I've definitely had some very unhealthy relationships with food (eating nothing but cookies or crackers for dinner, binging on mac and cheese when I feel sad) and I'm hoping to get a handle on that. One positive I've already seen is that after trying out whole 30 recipes for a few weeks I feel like I'm becoming a better cook!

I'm really excited to be part of this group. Good luck everyone!

Wow, onto day #2! Good morning June 15thers! Had a challenging day 1, but realized how important preplanning really is. When I go swimming, I don't like to eat much before, and am quite hungry when I return. So I need something small to quickly eat, while I go up and shower, and wait until lunch to have a meal. Grabbed a couple of almonds, and some blueberries, to tide me over. Lived thru no wine at 5pm. I like to make my own applesauce, let the apples cook all day in the slow cooker, just added lemon juice and cinnamon, omitted all honey and vanilla, and it came out ok. Not very sweet, but that's ok! I really have to work on/ learn how to prepare a lot at one time, and shop for more than a few things at once. I only cook for myself, so I'm used to shopping for just a few things. With my ulcerative colitis, I'm treading lightly into smaller amounts of the veggies, but adding them a little at a time. Everyone have a great day 2!

Hello all - I started on the 15th as well.  I spent a few hours on Sunday shopping and preparing food for the week - was pleasantly surprised that I found most things at my local grocery store, and that the prep didn't take as long as I first thought it might.  I think I did pretty good with day 1, although I realized later that I didn't have any vegetables with breakfast.  I added some in today.  

One thing I was a little unsure of - I tend to workout after dinner (have a toddler, need to wait until he's in bed), so I did the 30 Day Shred workout last night.  It was about 1.5 hours after dinner, so I didn't eat again before working out, but I really didn't feel like eating anything after.  Evening "snacks" are a habit I'm hoping to break with the Whole30, so I don't love the idea of eating again so late in the evening.  Does anyone else workout right before bed?   Any recommendations?

Hi everyone,

Day one went pretty smooth for me as i cooked for the week on sunday. My husband decided to join in with the healthy eating, but not sure he can give up the alcohol. Woke up with a banging headache, but not so sure it it was as a result of not sleeping enough.

so far day too seems to be going ok ,I had eggs and vegetables(veggies tasted so good, not a big veggie eater) for breakfast, Chicken, yam and the rest of the vegetables for lunch, Not sure what i will have for dinner yet.

I miss snacking.....Cos i graze through the day normally.

As for work outs i plan on doing half hour works daily. Is this sufficient?

Happy Day 2! I'm in Houston, so I'm working from home today due to Tropical Storm Bill (although it's been a whole lot of nothing at this point).

Got up and had my breakfast (mini-fritattas, 1/2 avocado and a banana), but it's HOURS later and I'm still not hungry. I'm sure I'm not supposed to skip meals, and I'm not intentionally doing so, but I'm also not hungry, so I'm a little confused. We're supposed to eat off of hunger cues and not just because it's 'time' to eat, right?

Maybe I just ate too much at breakfast... Learning as I go!

Had lettuce tacos last night and they were SO good! Will also workout later on tonight as well - I'm dealing with plantar fasciitis, so some activities are limited, but I'll power through...

So every couple of days Einstein Bros. brings all the bagels they haven't sold to my office. Once I decided that I was going to do the whole 30, about two weeks ago, I stopped snacking on the bagels even before I actually started the plan. I could swear the smell of my coworkers' toasted bagels smells extra delcious today. I don't feel too tempted though. Just drinking a cup of tea and thinking about the delcious chicken I'm going to make when I get home.

So what's on everyone's menus this week? I'm single and cooking for one, but this is what I prepped this weekend:

Mini Frittatas

Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole

Sonoma Chicken Salad

Kaluha Pig

Taco Meat

Apple/Almond Butter Sandwiches

Hard Boiled Eggs

Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice

Roasted Tomatoes

Asparagus

Pepper Strips

wondering where the recipe is for the sweet potato breakfast casserole? sounds good and the sonoma chicken sald, i too am cooking for one.

...but I'm also not hungry, so I'm a little confused. We're supposed to eat off of hunger cues and not just because it's 'time' to eat, right?

Maybe I just ate too much at breakfast... 

Your breakfast doesn't sound in anyway large to me. How many eggs were in your mini fritattas? And how many did you have? You should be aiming for 3-4 is the egg is the only source of protein.

If you've come for a history of grazing it may well take a while for you to build up to three template meals, but you will get there so it's important not to skip meals. Eat what you can (try to make is equal quantities of protein, fats & veg) & then pack up the rest to eat as soon as you are able.

Of course it could well be that you just don't know yet how to read your true hunger signals... Either way if you're working out later you will need that food!

wondering where the recipe is for the sweet potato breakfast casserole? sounds good and the sonoma chicken sald, i too am cooking for one.

http://www.paleoeffect.com/recipes/paleo-breakfast-casserole-a-brunch-recipe/

Sonoma Chicken Salad, @danikabrysha

Makes 4 servings:

• 2 large cooked chicken breasts (organic, free-range if possible), diced
  • 1 cup red grapes, halved
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 avocado, diced

Sauce:

• 1/2 cup Whole30 Mayo (recipe at whole30.com)
  • 2 Tbsp fresh dill, minced
  • 2 Tbsp fresh chives, minced
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

In a small bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients. You can also do this in a food processor, pulsing a few times. Depending on desired consistency, you can add a teaspoon or two of water or unsweetened coconut milk to thin the sauce.  In a separate bowl, combine chicken, grapes, and celery.  Using a large spoon,combine salad mixture (except avocado) with sauce.  Add avocado last, as to not smash it into guacamole salad.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/01/best-whole30-recipes-keep-simple-sweetheart/#sthash.b7i6VKd4.dpuf

Your breakfast doesn't sound in anyway large to me. How many eggs were in your mini fritattas? And how many did you have? You should be aiming for 3-4 is the egg is the only source of protein.

If you've come for a history of grazing it may well take a while for you to build up to three template meals, but you will get there so it's important not to skip meals. Eat what you can (try to make is equal quantities of protein, fats & veg) & then pack up the rest to eat as soon as you are able.

Of course it could well be that you just don't know yet how to read your true hunger signals... Either way if you're working out later you will need that food!

I had 2 fritattas (it's the nomnompaleo recipe) - the recipe used 8 eggs for 12 fritattas - so not quite one egg per fritatta. I'm not typically a grazer, as my job doesn't really allow it, but I'll go ahead and go eat something so that I don't get too hungry.

Again, it's all about learning... :)

I had 2 fritattas (it's the nomnompaleo recipe) - the recipe used 8 eggs for 12 fritattas - so not quite one egg per fritatta. I'm not typically a grazer, as my job doesn't really allow it, but I'll go ahead and go eat something so that I don't get too hungry.

Again, it's all about learning... :)

Yep, I'd say you should - that's really not a big breakfast... Fat-wise you're fine, but you're really low on protein & veggies - remember not to let the fruit push the veggies off your plate.

Yay! I'm Anna. I also started on June 15th I have done a few Whole 30s, but I am a little more concerned about this one. I have been traveling for a few months and during that time I became severally addicted to sugar.

It is day 2 and I can already feel myself trying to think of what sweet little afternoon snack I could have :( I am determined but I sense trouble ahead.

Feeling like I need something light and fresh, after eggs, sausage, and sweet potatoes for breakfast. Did somet turkey and avocado roll ups for lunch and just made some Popsicles. I puréed some watermelon and puréed some pineapple added some coconut water. Usually some honey goes in, but omitted it. Made the mayonnaise recipe from the book, and mine came out to the exact consistency of store bought mayo! Yea, a little bland so I think I may need more lemon juice, and mustard powder.

Yay! I found the June 15th Group! 

I started off Day 2 with a huge victory. I have breakfast every Tuesday morning with a group of business owners. I know this will be a challenge. I was able to pass up everything tempting and ordered 3 poached eggs, a side of avocado and fresh fruit. Woo Hoo!

Was feeling great until about 1:00 PM today. The hangover started hitting. I have a headache and feel like I need starbucks...but not on the plan and not going to happen. I'm determined and know this feeling will pass. But UGH....Thought I might have it easy.

Just remembering that if I can get past this phase it will be so much better! More incentive to not go back too!

Have a great day everyone!

Ava

Appreciate everyone sharing their experiences here, a lot have struck chords with me. I'm still figuring out how to customize the template to my needs (how much of what above the minimum, blahblahblah). Yesterday was good, but I've been a little hungry between meals today. I ran this morning, too, so that may be a contributing factor. Fortunately, though, no real signs of the carb flu yet.

There is one thing that's driving me mad, and I'm wondering if anyone else can relate. My boyfriend is doing the Whole30 with me, but it's pretty clearly my thing. He has done a minimal amount of reading up on it, so is constantly asking me about the guidelines. He's also not following it very well. He made breakfast for us this morning, but skimped more on the vegetables than I would have. He has also had a snack after lunch each day (protein and fat yesterday, protein, fat, and fruit today), and is generally used to grazing throughout the day at work. I've explained to him the gist of the reasoning behind many of the guidelines (some more than once), but he clearly isn't buying in. I feel like I'm in the role of the Whole30 police, which I don't like. How are other people coping with Whole30-partners doing things differently than you would? Is anyone else also in the "expert" position, or were you put there and got out?

• Moderators

Appreciate everyone sharing their experiences here, a lot have struck chords with me. I'm still figuring out how to customize the template to my needs (how much of what above the minimum, blahblahblah). Yesterday was good, but I've been a little hungry between meals today. I ran this morning, too, so that may be a contributing factor. Fortunately, though, no real signs of the carb flu yet.

There is one thing that's driving me mad, and I'm wondering if anyone else can relate. My boyfriend is doing the Whole30 with me, but it's pretty clearly my thing. He has done a minimal amount of reading up on it, so is constantly asking me about the guidelines. He's also not following it very well. He made breakfast for us this morning, but skimped more on the vegetables than I would have. He has also had a snack after lunch each day (protein and fat yesterday, protein, fat, and fruit today), and is generally used to grazing throughout the day at work. I've explained to him the gist of the reasoning behind many of the guidelines (some more than once), but he clearly isn't buying in. I feel like I'm in the role of the Whole30 police, which I don't like. How are other people coping with Whole30-partners doing things differently than you would? Is anyone else also in the "expert" position, or were you put there and got out?

I'm not in that situation, but it's definitely something that's come up before here on the forum, when one person is the one who actually knows the program and the other person just kind of does what they're told (or not). At some point, you just have to let your boyfriend do his thing. By all means, print out the meal template for him and the rules, and answer any questions he has, but do your thing and let him do his thing and try to let it go. You could drive yourself crazy trying to make him be compliant, and if you constantly nag him about the rules, that probably won't do wonders for your relationship. If you feel you absolutely must say something, say something like, you know, that isn't truly Whole30 compliant, but I know that it's so much better than what you would have chosen before, and I'm proud of you for making healthier choices. (It helps if you can honestly really mean this.)  If he says, what do you mean, it's not W30, then explain -- and if he doesn't ask, just let it go. He's an adult, he's going to make his own decisions.

Day 3 now in Australia.  I'm going to focus on making my meals a little bigger and drinking more water. I've cut down on my coffee intake because I don't like it without milk and this morning I woke up with a headache which 5 hours later really hasn't gone away.  That's okay though as I've been here before and know that the days of waking up and feeling fantastic are just around the corner. Have a great day everyone

Archived