Starting June15th

LanaJ

Don't despair - there are LOTS of ways to cook a chicken for variety, and even if you've got a whole roasted one there are lots of ways to serve it that you won't get bored. And if you're eating seafood then the world is your oyster - or rather the sea is, technically!! Personally, I *love* fish for meal one - peppered mackerel, curried monkfish, steamed salmon..... 

Be sure to be eating enough fat to keep those cravings at bay, and if you were a big sugar addict maybe increase your intake of starchy veg over the next few days to help with the transition.

And don't forget to drink water, lots of it!

Thanks for the tips, especially with the fish; preparing meat is a huge learning curve for me.

Day 2 wasn't terrible. I'm craving Hot Cheetos badly and will be making hot wings for lunch to help with my desire for heat. I tried my hot yoga tonight and couldn't make it through half the class. Maybe it's the 113 degree Arizona heat, or maybe I pushed my body too hard with these changes. I'm going to pause my heavy workouts for at least a week and just do my moderate gym routine.

M1- Leftover chicken tortilla soup (delicious!) and a salad (couldn't finish it because I'm not use to eating breakfast)

M2- Chipotle for my first time ever; carnitas salad bowl

M3- Turkey burger dipped in different sauces to experiment (I've never had a turkey burger), side salad, steamed broccoli and zucchini

Congrats on day 3 June 15ers!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feeling pretty good on day 3. I've been having eggs with spinach and tomatoes every morning so I probably need to spice things up for breakfast. I'm very excited about the brisket I've got going in the slow cooker for dinner.

So I made a point of letting all my coworkers know that I was doing the whole 30 so they would understand when I turned down offers of sweets and bagels. Then this morning my very sweet Iraqi coworker brought in a tray of traditional homemade sweets that she made just for me. I asked her what was in it. Flour, sugar, etc. I felt bad but I explained to her that I couldn't even have a taste, but that I would bring it home to my boyfriend who will be very excited. I think she might be worried that I'm not eating enough. Proud of myself for not giving in.

Keep up the great work, everyone!  One of the coolest things about the Whole30 is getting to know new food.  This morning, for instance, I just happened upon a really cool flavor combo:  roasted brussels sprouts with avocado.  The crispy bitter and the sweet creamy together are divine.

My run this morning was pretty sluggish, but that is part of the territory at this stage.  I know that the tiger blood is around the corner.  For those of you who work out a lot, chances are that you will find things hard for a week or two -- and then you'll break through and feel awesome and strong!  Take it easy on your workouts while your body is adjusting, and good things will come!   :)

Morning y'all! Day 3 is up and running - I am loving all of the new foods I'm trying and finding new flavor combos. I smile each time I look in my fridge and see all of my options. I'm still not missing what I've given up, although I'm sure that time is coming...

Will workout tonight before having a couple of people over for dinner. Making Asian Fried 'Rice' with Kalua Pork, and we'll have watermelon for dessert. I might even stop to get coconut cream to make whipped cream if I have time.

Hope  y'all have a great day!

NSV - For meal 2 I brought some chicken salad, a couple of hard boiled eggs and a TON of veggies. Oh, and some watermelon too. But I was stuffed and decided to put the watermelon away and focus on the veggies so that I didn't let the fruit push my veggies off the plate! Learning as I go...

Thanks for the tips, especially with the fish; preparing meat is a huge learning curve for me.

Day 2 wasn't terrible. I'm craving Hot Cheetos badly and will be making hot wings for lunch to help with my desire for heat. I tried my hot yoga tonight and couldn't make it through half the class. Maybe it's the 113 degree Arizona heat, or maybe I pushed my body too hard with these changes. I'm going to pause my heavy workouts for at least a week and just do my moderate gym routine.

M1- Leftover chicken tortilla soup (delicious!) and a salad (couldn't finish it because I'm not use to eating breakfast)

M2- Chipotle for my first time ever; carnitas salad bowl

M3- Turkey burger dipped in different sauces to experiment (I've never had a turkey burger), side salad, steamed broccoli and zucchini

Congrats on day 3 June 15ers!

I'm in Arizona, too, and can't imagine trying to do hot yoga in this weather. Then again, I'm not much for hot yoga in general. Go you for even trying.

Hi everyone!

My name is Meghan, I also started on June 15! This is my technically my 3rd time around. I completed my first whole30 in April 2013. And then I did a mini reboot last spring. I felt great until this winter when I just gave up and started eating poorly and not working out regularly. I tried to reel it back in, I am back at the gym 4-5 days a week, but I don't feel as well as I know I could. So here I am for a reboot.

I am excited because I know firsthand how amazing you can feel afterwards and how long you can be successful. I am nervous because it's summer and sometimes there is nothing better than a glass of wine or beer out on the deck watching the sunset.... I guess it will be water in a wine glass for now!!

Good luck everyone!

I am excited because I know firsthand how amazing you can feel afterwards and how long you can be successful. I am nervous because it's summer and sometimes there is nothing better than a glass of wine or beer out on the deck watching the sunset.... I guess it will be water in a wine glass for now!!

Club soda and lime is really refreshing - and compliant!

What I like about summer Whole30's is all the abundance of fresh veggies.  Winter Whole30's are great for stews, but all the fresh foods in summer, the fresh wild caught salmon and lamb, there are so many possibilities -- one could probably do a locavore Whole30!

Day 3 was more difficult than yesterday. I wanted to quit when I was at the store and just wanted to eat Hot Cheetos, and I tried justifying this by telling myself I wasn't ready to change. But I pulled through.

I'm not sure if it's because I've been a vegetarian for so long and I didn't do a slow enough transition prior to starting, but my stomach is absolutely killing me. I'm in pain and nauseous; not a good feeling.

M1- Leftover turkey burger with mustard, half an egg, salad with cilantro sauce.

M2- Hot baked chicken wings with homemade compliant ranch, carrots and celery.

M3- Coconut shrimp with mango dipping sauce, sweet potato and steamed carrots.

Hi all ☺️ My name is Christine, and we have all just completed day 3!! We tried the chicken meatballs with tomato sauce last night. Really good. I will absolutely be utilizing that recipe again. Today I was reminded about physiological eating. Took the kids bowling, and my 1st knee jerk reaction was nachos and a soda to share. I realized that A. I wasn't even hungry, and B. How many empty calories have I consumed in my life that were based on habit. Like buttery popcorn at the movies, nachos at bowling, pizza after one of the kids games.

I felt powerful in my choice to eat nothing in our time of bowling, and to just be there in the moment ✌

I'm not sure if it's because I've been a vegetarian for so long and I didn't do a slow enough transition prior to starting, but my stomach is absolutely killing me. I'm in pain and nauseous; not a good feeling.

M1- Leftover turkey burger with mustard, half an egg, salad with cilantro sauce.

M2- Hot baked chicken wings with homemade compliant ranch, carrots and celery.

M3- Coconut shrimp with mango dipping sauce, sweet potato and steamed carrots.

If eating animal protein regularly is new to you, you might try digestive enzymes to see if they'll help your transition.

Also, raw veggies can cause digestive distress for some folks. Perhaps also experiment with all cooked veggies and see if that brings you relief.

Side note: stay well-hydrated. Aim for 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Good morning Day 4!! Today stared off iffy. I turned off my alarm and meant to just close my eyes for a second. I ended up missing spin class. I was going to go for a run, but it was pouring.... finally got myself dressed and tried a body combat class. I am less than coordinated, but it was awesome! I am happy I didn't go back to bed, now my workout is done and I have the whOle day!

We are going to a Phillies Game today, which would normally mean hot dogs and beer.... But I planned ahead, found some compliant bacon and some Tessa Mae's dressing am making a big Cobb salad to eat at our tailgate. I am also going to get some Lacroix water and drink it from the can in a coozie! I have a Larabar hidden in my bag just in case the smell of hot dogs, nachos and Philly soft pretzels gets to me! I CAN DO IT!

I am marinading some chicken souvlaki to grill up when we get home, with some asparagus and fingerling potatoes. So that I am not too tired and cranky to think of dinner. All I'll need to do is throw it all on the grill!

I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of excited for today!! No kill all things for me yet... But it is still early :)

Doing well today! I think it is easy the second time around because I'm not stressing about meal planning. I like the idea of Protein + Veggies + fat approach to meals. My last one my cooking self-esteem was hinder by my lack of following of directions or ingredients sizes (i like to eye ball) and things would turn out awful. This time, I'm now experimenting with seasonings and different type of protein and veggies sources. It is honestly making it super easy doing it this way with being a full time working mother of 2 small children. Now to get my children to eat their protein sources that is a different story... I'm still struggling with getting them to eat like this and finding myself making them something else. I don't want to do that. It has been a constant struggle with my 4 year old. My 1 year old is pretty open to trying new things. 

I hope everyone is feeling good on day 4!

I've been suffering from an upset stomach after breakfast for the past two days. I'm hoping this is just my body adjusting. I used to pretty much exclusively eat yogurt with granola for breakfast, although I phased that out for the two weeks before I started the program. Right now I feel kind of nauseous. My breakfast this morning was leftover brisket and veggies from last night's dinner. Is anyone else having issues like this?

Good morning! Didn't feel like I slept real well last night, although my fitbit says I did just fine. I laughed when I woke up because I had one of those dreams where I felt like I cheated and I was so mad at myself. Someone brought me TCBY and I dug in before I remembered what I was doing. Luckily all a dream! :)

I couldn't pull myself out of bed at 445 to make it to the gym for BodyPump, so I'm going to try to make it at lunch instead.

I have plans tonight, so I packed up my lunch and dinner before I left the house so I'll be good to go.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not having any issues being nauseous @hanamizu - but maybe what you're eating is just too much (not volume) early in the morning? What was your breakfast yesterday?

Yesterday I had leftover spinach and tomato frittata. I was worried that maybe it had gone bad but now I think my digestive system is just having a little trouble adjusting. Hopefully it will sort itself out. Maybe I should try laying off coffee altogether though.

Hmm - yeah, that blows my theory because that's what I'm eating and have had no issues.

I'm not drinking coffee though - maybe try a few days without it and see if it makes a difference.

I keep saying that this challenge is all about learning how your body reacts and feels to different foods and scenarios - even while actually on the plan.

Best of luck to you and I hope you feel great soon!

Yesterday I had leftover spinach and tomato frittata. I was worried that maybe it had gone bad but now I think my digestive system is just having a little trouble adjusting. Hopefully it will sort itself out. Maybe I should try laying off coffee altogether though.

You could try adding in some fermented foods like sauerkraut, or kombucha.... or if the problem persists and you're not used to eating so much animal proteins a digestive enzyme may help you.

My husband and I started on the 15th too! Great to see there are supports here.

I eat a largely paleo diet already, so the Whole30 didn't seem to be too large of a jump for me (although I'm on day 4 and definitely feeling like I want to KILL ALL THE THINGS so I was clearly cheating more than I acknowledged to myself), but my husband regularly eats fast food so I'm curious to see how this will effect him, and what we both will learn about ourselves.

I've struggled with eating and being overweight my whole life, as well as insulin resistance and fertility issues in the last few years, so I'm really looking forward to the brain-reprogramming piece of this, in particular.

Anyone else feel like they want to punch someone out today?? :)

Good morning Day 5! Feeling pretty good - just had an omelette with red pepper, tomatoes, avocado and spinach.  So far my husband is safe and I don't want to kill him ( although he has been warned that they may change!!) I'm not doing much in the way of exercise as I have an achilles issue at the moment but I am off to pilates this morning so I'm still doing some things. The weekend is approaching and for some this will be the hardest time to let go of our habits - wine o'clock anyone?  Take it easy

Ugh! I hate my peppy self from this morning ;) Had an ok day today. Definitely had some kill all things moments, but to be fair we were stuck in traffic with two overstimulated, oversnacked kids!

I felt very sluggish between 3pm and 5pm. Now I just feel tired and ready for bed. I can't wait for the tigers blood feeling!

I randomly got heartburn today. I can't put my finger on what could have caused it. The only new thing I ate was Tessa Maes zesty ranch dressing. But that has only ingredients I've eaten before! Maybe its just my body getting over unhealthy foods??

Here are my meals for the day:

Pre workout banana (i know, I know, but I was so late and didn't have time to even peel an egg!)

60 min body combat

M1 2 hardboiled eggs, sweet potato hashbrowns, 1/2 avocado, handful grape tomatoes. Black coffee

1/2 cup homemade coldbrew coffee

M2 Cobb salad with greens, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, 1 egg, tuna, bacon (compliant), avocado and Tessa Mae zesty ranch. LaCroix cranraspberry water.

snack lemon larabar

M3 chicken souvlaki, roasted fingerling potatoes and asparagus.

Have a great day 5 tomorrow!!

Hardest day so far. I threw up last night and could hardly sleep from the stomach pain. Had horrible nightmares all night about being in Vegas and not finding anything to eat Whole 30 compliant (which is totally odd, since I have no intentions of going to Vegas anytime soon!)

I wanted to eat everything, not because I'm hungry, but I craved everything I see on billboards, commercials, in the grocery store...

Ugh. At least I wasn't in the "kill all the things" mode.

M1- Turkey burger, salad, sweet potatoes.

M2- Chipotle (no desire to cook)

M3- Fish "taco salad" with tilapia, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, and guacamole.

So far so good. Not really feeling any of the good or the bad things so far. I need to plan next week better and have more things precooked. I'm a soda drinker, and have switched over to black tea, the soda didn't keep me awake at night, but boy this tea does. So that's a new thing I've learned. I need to figure out what time to stop drinking tea so that I can go to sleep at a decent hour.

I cooked the books pork ribs tonight and made the barbecue sauce. The ribs were amazing, but the sauce wasn't a big hit. I also steamed a head of cauliflower, instead of our usual cheese sauce, I just added some ghee and sea salt.

So far so good. Not really feeling any of the good or the bad things so far. I need to plan next week better and have more things precooked. I'm a soda drinker, and have switched over to black tea, the soda didn't keep me awake at night, but boy this tea does. So that's a new thing I've learned. I need to figure out what time to stop drinking tea so that I can go to sleep at a decent hour.

I cooked the books pork ribs tonight and made the barbecue sauce. The ribs were amazing, but the sauce wasn't a big hit. I also steamed a head of cauliflower, instead of our usual cheese sauce, I just added some ghee and sea salt.

If your tea is caffeinated we'd recommend you stop drinking it from mid-day so as not to disrupt sleep. You could always switch to a herbal/fruit tea combo for later in the day if you're looking for something other than water.

Archived