Almond Flour

klk25

• 2 months later...

Robin, I was going to cook Melissa's Peach almond crisp from her "Well Fed" book that calls for almond flour, I guess that's SWYPO and is OUT? :(

What about using almond flour in the egg batter to coat my fish in before I bake it? (same question for coating zucchinis/cauliflower before frying). I assume that falls in the OK section? :)

Sunshine, as long as it is pure with no alcohol, sugar or other non-W30 approved ingredients, I'm pretty sure it's okay to put a drop or two to flavor your coffee. I like to sprinkle pumpkin pie spice over the coffee grounds before making a pot. Oooh, that tastes so nice! Like a pumpkin spice latte from $tarbuck$ without the questionable ingredients.

WHERE CAN I GET PUMKIN PIE SPICE? SOUNDS AMAZING!

Robin, I was going to cook Melissa's Peach almond crisp from her "Well Fed" book that calls for almond flour, I guess that's SWYPO and is OUT? :(

What about using almond flour in the egg batter to coat my fish in before I bake it? (same question for coating zucchinis/cauliflower before frying). I assume that falls in the OK section? :)

That's the one recipe in the entire book that's out. However, it's because of the dessertiness of the crisp, not the almond meal. Your coating seems fine to me :)

I got so worried by this thread because it is only the second day of my W30 and I used almond flour today. It was not to replicate any sort of dessert or baked good, though. I used to to coat sliced mushrooms to try to make them crispy when baking in the oven...it mostly didn't work and I ended up scraping off the coating on some pieces, but I still definitely ate some of it. I will be sure to avoid SWYPO-type recipes, though. Thanks everyone!

Katey, it's possible to be swypo with savory recipes too, but I don't think a dusting of nut flour on some baking vegies qualifies as swypo. You aren't trying to pretend they are almost~ something they aren't; you're making vegies more interesting and that's ok.

Have you discovered the Well Fed cookbook yet? It has some nice interesting veggie recipes that are "de-boring" in a few different ways. (Amazing meat & eggs recipe too!) You can check out a few pages for free on Amazon, or check out the related website: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com. If you happen to be an Amazon Prime member with a Kindle, you can borrow the Kindle version free for a month. I did that, and ended up buying it after trying a few of the recipes, they are really~ good.

Hope this helps!

~Susan

Katey, it's possible to be swypo with savory recipes too, but I don't think a dusting of nut flour on some baking vegies qualifies as swypo. You aren't trying to pretend they are almost~ something they aren't; you're making vegies more interesting and that's ok.

Have you discovered the Well Fed cookbook yet? It has some nice interesting veggie recipes that are "de-boring" in a few different ways. (Amazing meat & eggs recipe too!) You can check out a few pages for free on Amazon, or check out the related website: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com. If you happen to be an Amazon Prime member with a Kindle, you can borrow the Kindle version free for a month. I did that, and ended up buying it after trying a few of the recipes, they are really~ good.

Hope this helps!

~Susan

Thank you! I have amazon student--I'm not sure if we can borrow kindle books as with Prime. But regardless, I will definitely check out the website.

A question about savory SWYPO recipes: would you (or others) consider sweet potato/parsnip/etc. fries to fall under this category, since they are somewhat replicating french fries? Or are they just a nice crispy way to eat any type of root vegetable? Are there any sneaky examples of this I should watch out for, unlike the obvious paleo pizza or muffins or cookies? I feel like if I am not consciously trying to replicate something else, it is not in that category, but maybe I'm wrong.

Katey, if white potato fries are a weakness of yours, then I would avoid them. If you aren't using them to fill a void or a craving, then you are okay. Soooo much of SWYPO is such a personal thing. We've had some rather lively conversations around here regarding SWYPO. :)

Thanks for the tip! The only things I really crave that I won't be able to have are sweets and cheese. I know better than to use fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth, and I don't think there's really anything I would be able to replace cheese with that way, so I think I will be okay. I was just worried about having SWYPO without knowing it! I will be sure to look up some of those old conversations. Sounds interesting :)

Cashew sub for cheese sounds pretty terrible to me so I feel like I would ignore it anyway, haha. I have found so far that avocado is a good replacement, though not in a SWYPO way, I don't think, since it is so different. It is just something I enjoy topping spicy meat dishes with to get that creamy contrast.

I understand; I am that way with peanuts. I actually stopped buying them even before Whole30 because I would eat a serving...then go back and get another handful. Rinse and repeat. Other nuts are not like this for me, though I still have to be careful with them.

You'll be fine Katey. One way to think of swypo as it applies to yourself... Does it make you more healthy or less healthy when you have it. This works for.... Is it supporting or creating an unhealthy or destabilizing habit, like eating too much, always having to have it, making you feel bad for not being to have the real thing or having it instead of instead of as well as meat, vegetables etc.. This framework makes it easy to see if roasted veges are a chip replacement or a healthy veg/carb side dish, if almond flour is being used to make a substitute for something else you really wanted to have or just an interesting meal in its own right, if all of a sudden you are having something at every meal or every day and you feel bad when you don't have it rather than are happy to try something else when it runs out. Don't worry about the names of dishes either.

I made a pizza cake yesterday. Now this sounds bad... But it was basically a baked ommelette with riced cauliflower, tomatoes, bacon, chicken, green beans and eggs. It looked pretty and the colors of the veges showing through was reminiscent of pizza toppings and you could cut it like a frittata. But it was nothing like a pizza or cake and was a meal that made me healthier for sure

• 5 years later...

Archived