Day 2 "hangover " - far more serious than I thought while reading. Does anything help this?

C_Cezeaux

Just finishing up day 2 wishing I had realized how severely the "food hangover" would affect me at work.  My work involves being extremely precise and accurate with a lot of very similar numbers while issuing and receiving materials into the system to be used on an industrial construction project.  I got up late this morning, my poor husband had to try 3 times to get me out of bed.  I was dragging all morning and the fatigue hit again this afternoon.

Worse, my mind was just gone today.  Out to lunch without me.  Honestly, I could have gone to work after staying up for a week and blind drunk and made more sense than I did today.  I entered random locations, assigned wrong pieces, wrote on wrong lines... It was an extremely long day.  For all of us. Me and the crew who depends on my work to find and issue their materials to the wrong places.  So much extra work as they had to keep coming back to ask me questions and get the information that should have been on the requisitions when they picked them up.  :( I ended up having to recheck every single line of every requisition that I entered.  If I had realized the severity, I would have arranged to take a couple days off.  If I had a job that I actually had two days in a row off, I would certainly have started the day before my break.  Is there any help for this other than the hope that I have not been eating so severely wrong for so long that this will continue on through the next day?  And possibly the next?

On the up side, I was not hungry today except after I drank an organic, cold pressed fruit/veggie juice.   It affected me badly, I had been starting to feel a little better and clearer but that threw me immediately back into the fugue and I was ravenous.  I think I will stay away from the fruits for the most part.

Had an amazing dinner of hamburger patty(grass fed) with onions and mushrooms cooked in a little olive oil, paprika, black pepper, and garlic over the top.  Feels like I'm eating a huge amount of food just to get the servings in. :)

I am tired, have been somewhat cranky, in a fog, trying to remember all the things I read, but will keep on it.  I can do this.  I can.

Yes you can do this

I'm wondering are you hydrated drink oz half your body weight

The brain fog is normal at first try to up your starch vegs or potatoes and add fat check to see if your Template is on target you may need to add carbs and fruit No snacks in between meals

Also eat within the hour of waking It may seem hard but I gets easier then energy returns

The great thing is you have lots of help on the forum The Moderators are sensible and knowledgeable Good luck

As MeGa says be sure you are drinking half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, and taking at lest a fist sized portion of starchy veg per day to get you through this transition, & be sure to get enough sleep - your body has a lot to be dealing with right now, but it does pass fairly quickly for most people.

The fruit/veggie juice was probably not a wise choice as this would have sent your blood sugar rocketing, followed by a slump along with faux hunger & fatigue. Juices are allowed for adding to sauces , or for adding a dash to water just to give it some flavour, not for drinking on their own...

Thanks, I do get plenty of water, at least one bottle every hour, sometimes more depending on weather conditions. I will definitely stay off the fruit juices, what about my beloved coconut water? Still getting used to the idea that I need to eat the starches, got some good tips on prepping last night, will be sure to get my sweet potato or squash today.

Coconut water is basically a very light fruit juice.... Here's the official ruling on it:

Coconut Water: Read your labels

Most coconut waters are technically compliant, containing only natural sugars from the coconut. However, some brands add sugar to their ingredients, so read your labels. Anything with added sugar is out for your Whole30.

Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light” fruit juice. If you’re involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don’t let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine.

Guess my phone really wanted to send that message, lol.  Today was so much better, thanks for the advice. :)  Still tired, had some minor mood swings and my dragging headache the timeline said I would, but my brain works today!!  And my leftover roasted sweet potatoes will go great in my protein salad tomorrow. 

Glad it started to pass for you! My Day 2 was the same. It was so bad I had to leave work. I had an emergency larabar and some aleve to help.

The next day I still had a mild headache but not nearly as bad.

Today is day 5 and I'm sooo much better.

Hope you're still hanging in there too!

• 5 months later...

I never did get back to thank you for the help!  As you pointed out, what I really needed to do was stop trying to deprive myself and EAT.  Once I got the protein/fat going, it got SO much better.  I completed that first W30 and am now about to wrap up my 2nd, which I took much more seriously to begin with and actually filled out my homework instead of just reading it and thinking it to myself. :D 

So, Moderators, THANK YOU!! for the excellent advice. :)

Archived