Whole30 foods while backpacking?

doublemom

Not quite sure what forum this should go on, but I'm giving it a try here.  I hike and backpack a lot, in the summertime usually 20-30 miles per week, and several times a month I backpack overnight.

This is my first time doing W30 and I have no problems with the foods at home. -- I'm looking for suggestions for backpacking/hiking foods. Nuts and hard boiled eggs are already a huge part of my hiking/backpacking food, but it's impossible to bring fresh fruits and veggies, at least not enough to live off of for several days in a row out in the wilderness, 20 miles from the nearest gravel road with no refrigerator :)

Any ideas for no-refrigerator foods that are lightweight, easy to cram into a backpack, and can provide the nutrition and calories I need for up to 10 miles a day?

Thanks,

How many days have you found hard-boiled eggs to stay good for? Curious as I was thinking of bringing these but I've never kept them unrefrigerated for more than a day.

My sister and I are going backpacking this weekend, on days 26-29 of our Whole30. Here's what we're bringing:

-Meat sticks. We ordered these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QU781RG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I haven't tasted them yet. But my Primal Pacs did not arrive in time (they are undergoing a move of their processing plant and have gone dark on orders placed in May and are leaving customers hanging...) so, these may or may not be tasty but they're compliant.

-Dehydrated sweet potatoes: http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-House-Foods-Dried-Potatoes/dp/B0039QW29E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433911904&sr=8-2&keywords=dehydrated+sweet+potatoes

-Coconut butter packets

-Tuna packets, to be mixed with coconut milk (my sis and I will share a can per day) and curry paste

-I just made a huge batch of kale chips to take and I'm hoping they'll keep. Haven't tried to store them for more than a couple of days so this somewhat of an experiment. I'll have to smash them down to fit in the bear can so they'll be more like kale dust, but kale is kale (and salt and garlic. yum!)

-and of course, nuts and dried fruit. And I think my sister's bringing some Larabars just in case we are extra hungry, but I know these are the root of all evil so somewhat of a last resort.

RxBars would be better nutritionally, and I've tried them in the past. I really liked them, but something in them caused me stomach pain. I don't know what, probably just a particular intolerance to a certain combination of ingredients. Also, if I'd known about Epic bars before today I would've tried to get some for my trip. They are meat based and looks like they have some interesting flavors.

Those are some great ideas, and I'll definitely be trying them out :)  I only bring eggs for the 1st day, I won't risk them being unrefrigerated for longer than that - having tummy upset while in the wilderness is not fun. Cheese, on the other hand (oh Lord how I miss cheese!!!!!) if sealed well can easily go up to 5 days without refrigeration.

I just ordered a bunch of dehydrated and freeze-dried foods from Packit Gourmet, including plain chicken, a ton of dehydrated veggies like spinach, celery, green beans, carrots, asparagus, onion, etc.  I'm hoping to add my own spices like curry and garlic and turmeric and make my own dehydrated W30 backpacking meals. Tuna packets are a great idea and I hadn't thought of that.

Where did you get coconut butter packets?  I would love to try those!

Thanks for the ideas, and have a wonderful trip!

Andi

www.bluesboots.com

I'm very curious about what to take on long backpacking trips as well….Taking cans of tuna and sardines can really weigh down your pack.  I get scared about bringing any store bought dried fruit as most of them have added sugar in their ingredients.  I've been thinking about just buying a dehydrator and making all my own jerky, dehydrated fruits and veggies just so I know EXACTLY what is in them.  Those freeze dried backpacking meals are FULL of rice and beans.  Any good suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! I actually started over my W30 after my backpacking trip last week because I just didn't have enough compliant food with me to make it. Keep up the awesome work everybody!!!

It all depends where you'll be hiking and backpacking into the backcountry.   If you're surrounded by grizzly bears, it is something to consider that you don't want to be a walking dinner bell.  Foil packs of tuna/salmon and compliant packaged jerky are good. 

So, back from my trip, which was 3 nights in Yosemite.

The kale chips worked out really well. I put them in a ziplock bag and made a dessicator out of a paper towel and some uncooked white rice. The meat sticks (Nick's Sticks) were also good, as were the coconut butter packets and dried mango. I got tired of the nuts really quickly so didn't eat many of those.

For dinner, we used a small pot and heated up the can of coconut milk with the cubes of dried sweet potato, then added in two 5 oz salmon packets (for two of us) and curry paste. It was really good, and very simple and easy to make.

I hear the concern regarding bears. I've camped in both grizzly and black bear country and on one particular trip had multiple bears walk through my camp. It always occurs to me when I open a packet of fish that bears can probably smell it miles away, but really they can smell everything, even the stuff that doesn't smell strong to us. I just try to keep food off myself, whatever it is that I'm eating.

We just finished a Yosemite hike as well and, in fact, the rangers were in our campsite saying a mama bear and her cub were nearby perusing the area.  We always carry the bear canister for backcountry hikes and keep it a good distance from us….so far, so good! I'm excited about all of these food ideas! I'll definitely take fresh fruit and veggies for the first 2 days and then switch over to the dried stuff if it's longer.  Next time I'll take some epic bars for sure! Loving the ideas! Keep 'em coming!  ;)

Archived