How to eat.

kerkenat

On page 54-55 of "It Starts With Food", it describes "Healthy Hormones-A Good Day".

Wow. This is what I bought the book for.

For so many years, I have been bombarded with so much marketing, advertising nutritional catch-phrase, trigger-word misinformation, I am just pissed off.

How does Big Food continue to get away with this? The truth is being hidden, cloaked, misrepresented.

Is the average human stupid?

Why has it taken me so long to learn these life-enhancing concepts,and to adopt healthy eating habits?

Not only is Big Food and Big Pharma guilty of misrepresenting the reality of the situation, but so are all the wannabe health 'experts' selling their diet routines. 

It is all becoming clear now (at least as clear as it can get for someone who is not a nutritional scientist)

I want healthy hormones!

Just like on page 54-55.

lol

• Administrators

Isn't it startling to discover that you've been effectively lied to for your entire life and that those lies are what put you in the position you're in, health and body-wise?  This discovery that we are all being played for the purpose of marketshare and profit makes it super easy to turn down processed, packaged and marketed food! 

If you are interested in further reading you could check out "Sugar Salt Fat" by Michael Moore which delves into the secrets behind the food industry designing, marketing and purposely attempting to get people hooked on their foods.  "Eat The Yolks" by Liz Wolfe is also an excellent read.

My husband works at SSA where they put all the supercomputers etc at for alot of programmers etc he said the majority of his co workers do not want to know that their food is slowly killing them. we started eating better one bite at a time. but for me its been intense sugar and carb cravings. we saw a movie "fed up" and it explained so much! we got rid of the cereal, and then got rid of the premade oatmeal and grit packages etc. it took a year to get to where we are now. But, im starting a whole 30 on sunday june 15. my lupus and pcos is making things worse. but, in answer to your question, yes people would rather stick their heads in the sand than to know that what they have been told all their lives is wrong.

The most heartbreaking thing for me is to see a severely overweight person with frozen diet meals and "light and fit" processed, artificially sweetened yogurt thinking that they are doing the right thing and really trying to make a change... they just don't know that you can eat delicious food and make so much more progress!

This was also the part of the book that resonated the most with me.  Sometimes an example is more powerful than all the science in the world.  

I'm on day 11 or 12 (I forgot!) and my consuming thought recently has been what I will do with the information I am learning long term- making this a lifestyle.  

Yes, it makes me angry when I think about all the years I spent in Weight Watchers being advised to eat a lowfat diet and count all my calories, fat, and fiber, while sharing ideas for program-friendly treats such as frozen fat free Cool Whip between two graham crackers. (Any fellow past WW members remember that one?). And of course the weight I lost on WW and other diets was completely unsustainable. Not to mention all of the dietary recommendations from national experts which were almost exactly the opposite of what I'm eating now! "Avoid eggs, avocados, nuts, and all red meat." That was the advice we got in the 80s and 90s.

Yes, it makes me angry when I think about all the years I spent in Weight Watchers being advised to eat a lowfat diet and count all my calories, fat, and fiber, while sharing ideas for program-friendly treats such as frozen fat free Cool Whip between two graham crackers. (Any fellow past WW members remember that one?). And of course the weight I lost on WW and other diets was completely unsustainable. Not to mention all of the dietary recommendations from national experts which were almost exactly the opposite of what I'm eating now! "Avoid eggs, avocados, nuts, and all red meat." That was the advice we got in the 80s and 90s.

The first time I did WW (prior to the fancy Points system it was that long ago) one of my favorite breakfasts was one slice of FF American "cheese" on a slice of white bread - melted under the broiler and topped with a very skinny slice of tomato. I'd have 2 of those for breakfast. Scary! no nutrition at all except for that tiny slice of tomato.  I don't miss those days!

• Moderators

I remember those graham cracker-Cool Whip sandwiches! I also remember saving up my extra points all week so I could have donuts on Saturday morning after I went to exercise. :rolleyes:  Yeah, healthy stuff there...

Another Recovering Weight Watcher here.

It's ironic. Before I joined WW, I ate very basic homemade meals: protein, vegetables, fruit...just too much bread and sweets. (I like food.)

While losing 90 pounds, I learned to make and eat low-point versions of crappy food. (cake mix with a can of pumpkin). I not only lost weight, but also a lot of that muscle that was carrying around the extra weight; my hair fell out and my skin went to hell. I developed an unhealthy relationship with food that was not there before.

Weight Watchers ruined eating for me.

Now I eat protein, vegetables, fat and some fruit. I'm carrying some extra weight. I like food. But I feel great.

Archived