Wanting to start, but work shift work

tdquast

I want to start Whole30, but work shift work and am on graveyard shift now.  I work 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. and don't have a normal sleep pattern.  Should I wait to start until I switch to day shift where I have a more normal sleep pattern? 

• Administrators

Graveyards is tough.  :(

You, especially, are going to need to spend some time doing as much prep as you possibly can so that when you are on graves you have quick and compliant options.

Get the proteins cooked and in teh fridge, get those veggies chopped and par-steamed, make some sauces, hard boil some eggs.  

Whether you start now or later, you probably only want to start once you have your ducks all lined up.

Also, check this popular article on shift work:  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/55156756199/surviving-the-night-shift

That's what I was thinking.  But on another note, is it more beneficial to wait due to the abnormal sleeping pattern?  I'm not so much worried about prepping and all, I was just worried that it would "mess" things up if I am not getting the sleep I should. I'm off most of the week as I work 3 12-hr shifts and then have 4 days off.  I can prep on  my days off.  I was just worried about physically being affected by the change in eating and also the abnormal sleep.  Will it make that big of a difference or no? 

• Moderators

Sleep definitely makes a difference in results. That doesn't mean you shouldn't start, though. When do you go back on days? And will that be a permanent change, or does it rotate, so you'll be back on graveyard in a few weeks again? If you're going to go on days soon, and it's going to be a permanent change, or at least one that's going to last for more than a month, I can see the logic of waiting, just to make it easier on yourself. If you're always going to be switching back and forth, might as well jump in now, if you feel prepared and are excited about doing this.

Now, if you can start on day one or two of your four days off, that might be good -- just because the first few days, people often find they're more tired than usual, so if you can get that out of the way before you go back to work, that might be nice. But even that isn't necessary, most people start on a Monday and just deal with the tiredness at work for a week. 

If you do choose not to start now, I would definitely recommend starting to work toward a W30 way of eating. Start leaving out grains and dairy, and as you replace your pantry staples like mustard or salad dressings or even canned tuna or salmon, start looking at the ingredients and buying things that are compliant.

Archived