Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shread... Pre and Post WO necessary

I do Jillian Micheals' 30 day shread off of youtube. I think it is considered high intensity for 20 minutes. Is it necessary to eat before and after? 

I'm one day one of whole30. I ate breakfast 2 hours ago and have stomach cramps, so eating does not sound enjoyable right now. 

what are the benefits? Should I eat even though it sounds bad to? and after... so that wouldn't be considered lunch? Is Jillian's workout enough to be considered a w/o? 

Thanks! 

I would guess that you should go with how you feel. If you aren't doing your workout first thing in the am, and you are doing it in between meals, you might feel okay. Based on what you said, I'm assuming you are eating meal 1, working out, and later eating meal 2....what is your schedule? What I've read in other posts indicates that the pre-WO is necessary for intense exercise or if you workout first thing in the day (before meal 1). Post-WO is typically more important because you have a special window of time (about 30 minutes post WO) in which you can refuel your body from exercise with best results. The main benefits are that it refuels your glycogen stores that are depleted during your workout. The pre and post WO meals are in addition to meals 1, 2, and 3, so you wouldn't want to combine meal 2 and lunch.

If it was me, I would probably see how I feel the first day or two. If I felt hungry after my workouts, I would do a post-WO meal of protein and starchy carbs. For me, it looks like this will be a few slices of chicken and some sweet potato, but there are lots of threads about what you can do. There are also guidelines on the meal template.

With anything high intensity, don't forget to drink your water! I enjoyed the 30 day shred workouts when I couldn't get to the gym. Have fun (:

Yeah, if you ate breakfast two hrs ago and the WO is cardio based I wouldn't worry about taking a preWO. You may find you'll want something postWO though if it's intense - just a few bites of lean protein & some starchy veg (not fruit) as soon as you're done, then carry on as normal with meal two.

Archived