Business Trip

Erinnoreen

Hi everyone! I am on day 3 of my first Whole30 and so far things are going well... However, on Monday I am going out of town on a 72 hour business trip and I need your help! What are some snacks I can bring with me in my carry on? I won't be checking luggage and I know that I won't be able to bring home cooked meals.... I think I will be ok for breakfast....the hotel we are staying at will have fresh fruit and hard boiled eggs....for client dinners, I assume I will be somewhere that  I can order a steak or chicken breast and veggies or a salad with olive oil....I am most worried about items for the airport, at night at my hotel, and to get through the day at lunchtime. The client we are visiting will be bringing in lunch each day, so I won't really have a say over what I get to eat. I also don't know if I will have a refrigerator in the hotel or if I will be able to go shopping, so I would like to be prepared with shelf-stable items which I can fly with in my carry-on. Any suggestions are much appreciated! 

Hi there,

Compliant jerky, fruit and nuts are popular options for your carry on.

Side note: this question has been asked and answered before.  Easiest way to search the forum is from Google. If you type Whole30 business travel for example, you'll get links to several past discussion threads on this topic.

I would call ahead to the hotel and ask about a microwave and fridge. If your lunch or dinner is at the airport, I would just bring what you would have for a regular meal....or something simple like baked sweet potato, sauteed spinach, grilled/baked chicken. That travels well and if you don't have too long from your drive to the airport and consuming while you are there, shouldn't be an issue. 

You may know better options in the place you will be going....

Re: client bringing lunch....you could always see if you could find a compliant meal and order it to be delivered for yourself. Jimmy John's unwich or something? They don't list out the ingredients in their deli meats online, but they do say "The turkey is real turkey, the roast beef is real roast beef – no additives, no vegetable-based fillers, no fake stuff" You may know better options in the place you will be going....idk what dinner etiquette would be...but most restaurants serve a steak/chicken that is larger than the palm of your hand, so you may be able to take leftovers from that. 

I regularly travel for about that period of time for work (luckily to the same area each time). Will you have a rental car where you are? I usually make my first stop to the grocery store, even before my hotel.

Confirm if the hotel has fridges/microwaves, or if you can switch to a room that does.

Do a Google maps search for grocery stores/health food stores in the area.

It might seem awkward, but just talk to your client beforehand with your suggestions.

Are you traveling to your customer's location for business? I am usually traveling to my company's HQ from my satellite office, so I'm much more okay with making myself at home (ie using the breakroom fridge, etc). It might make it harder if you are visiting a client/customer.

Beef sticks, jerky, RxBars, small foil packs of olives, foil packs of tuna, nuts, and dried fruit all travel well and can be carried on. I pack a bunch of compliant food and have it available  - many a business lunch has been picking at a limp salad with no dressing and then sneaking off to eat my beef stick and olives or a RxBar. 

Jimmy John's unwich or something? They don't list out the ingredients in their deli meats online, but they do say "The turkey is real turkey, the roast beef is real roast beef – no additives, no vegetable-based fillers, no fake stuff" 

sorry, but this one isn't something I would recommend. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Jimmy John's meats are not compliant. It is TOUGH to find deli meat that is, and Jimmy Johns does not care enough about food quality that they would go to the effort and expense. no way. Check the ingredients for Subway meats and you will get the idea. I'm certain Jimmy Johns is similar or worse.

on the OP's question, if it's just a couple days you can probably get by eating just the parts that you can eat and supplementing with stuff like epic bars. If you have a chance to stop by a whole foods you could get some fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, etc. to fill in the gaps. You can also bring a packed meal on your flight--just make sure it is recognizable as food, and not to be considered a gel (if I bring almond butter packets, I stick them in the baggie with the liquids.

Archived