Night Shift Nurse!

Hi All! 

I am a nurse and often work night shifts. I am hoping for some help planning meals around a confusing schedule. I am also currently working the program past 30 days - I am so happy with my results I am in no rush to stop!! 

I eat "breakfast" at 5:30 PM before work. 

I eat "lunch" around 1:00 AM (assuming the night isn't SUPER crazy). 

The dilemma: I am finished work at 7:30 AM and home by 8:00 AM and pretty much hit the sack right away.

- I don't think its great to go to bed hungry, which I usually am

- I can't eat and stay up too long and I don't want to go bed on a full stomach

- No. I cannot eat two meals at work. It just isn't realistic.

Any advice on a small snack?

What would be the best? Fat? Fruit? Veg? A small protein?

Maybe its not so bad to eat before bed?

Thanks for the input.  

Hi there, I am also a night shift nurse. I usually have my meal a bit later in my shift, or I split it into 2 smaller meals with the 2nd being closer to the end of my shift. I always keep a couple hard boiled eggs at work in case we get too busy for a break, and I have them on my way home.

• Moderators

One more reason we call it Meal 1, Meal 2, and Meal 3 instead of breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Rhonda's idea sounds good, and personally I would eat even if right before bed, maybe a smaller meal. Nothing worse than not getting good sleep because you are hungry.

Hi, 

I'm a nurse as well, but I work days. Do you eat at least 3 meals? You only listed 2. I usually eat 3 meals and a snack because of our long hours.  I usually eat breakfast 5:45am., snack 10:30am, lunch 3:00pm, dinner 8:00pm. Of course as nurses our lives never fit a perfect schedule. My snack is usually 2 boiled eggs, half tomato, with fruit/or a handful of nuts. Sometimes I might not eat the extra fruit/nuts depending how I feel but I keep them handy. I hope all the comments help you find your way. :)

I used to work nights for a long time, I would wake up mid/late-afternoon and have a big dinner-type meal an hour or so later, pack a lunch-type meal to take to work with me then have either a lighter snacks meal towards the end of the shift/on the way home or a quick light breakfast-type meal once I got home in the morning, before collapsing in a heap and sleeping till afternoon again.

I am a registered nurse who works day shift and I will be starting the program soon.  I am concerned about eating because half the time I am starving due to not being able to take breaks and then I overindulge late afternoon.  Any advice?

Archived