What you would order and how would you order for each menu

mzxticclez

I've attached 4 pages of menu from TGIF. I went there last night and I ordered a grill sirloin with broccoli, steamed vegetable and salt & pepper only. I was definitely looking at the sizzling menu and seafood menu but I didn't want to risk it so I just ordered what I've always ordered when I eat out: grill steak or salmon with vegetable. It get kind of boring. So I have a question for you all, if you're eating at TGIF, what would you order from these menu and how would you order it. (you can pick one from each menu) I don't come here everyday, it's just a sample and I wanted to know how would everyone order at restaurant beside grill meat.

P.S I always asked if they can use olive oil or coconut oil but all restaurant use only vegetable oil  :(

post-69567-0-73264300-1434000988_thumb.jpost-69567-0-68499800-1434000995_thumb.jpost-69567-0-47183500-1434001000_thumb.jpost-69567-0-97793800-1434001006_thumb.j

You can always ask to dry grill your protein, so oil isn't an issue.

Oils that are definite no no's are soybean and corn oil.   While canola oil is not recommended at home, it's reluctantly acceptable to have while dining out on a Whole30, otherwise you couldn't go out to eat.

The steamed lobster is another option.  Steamed veggies for sides. (Bring your own clarified butter for a fat.) 

Here is a link to the TGIF allergen menu.  Start there in figuring out what to order.  (You'll see an awful lot of soy for most items - they likely use soybean oil for their cooking oil.)

• Moderators

Honestly, you are not going to find much at this restaurant. **I just read through the allergen menu and there is ONE thing you could eat: Fresh Broccoli. EVERYTHING else contains soy, wheat, dairy, etc.** They simply don't serve food that isn't detrimental to your health.

Remember, they are in business to make a profit. Adding a bunch of sugar, soy and other artificial flavors is what brings people back because once used to these things, their taste buds become deadened to the flavors of real food. It's a terrible cycle.

As GFChris said, you have to get ahold of the real ingredients list, or ask specific questions and explain what you cannot eat.  A menu isn't going to tell you which of these items is marinated in soy, has added sugar, etc. This applies to any restaurant. You have to have the conversation. You have to be that person. Hey, it's only your health!

Here's a great excerpt from a post by Melissa Joulwan of TheClothesMakeTheGirl blog and Well Fed cookbooks:

MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE WAITRESS/WAITER
I used to joke that I wanted to be a “raven-haired, tart-tongued detective” and I might sometimes pretend I’m a spy. When I go to a new restaurant, I put those faux detective skills to work. The first task when you arrive at the restaurant is to enlist the server as your partner-in-crime; they can help you understand everything that might end up on your plate. (And this is made easier by the online recon you did to review the menu in advance.)

I’m not gonna lie: It can feel uncomfortable sometimes to ask for what you need, but remember that at the restaurant, you’re paying the tab and you have the right to get exactly what you want on your plate (within reason). Here are some tips and questions to help you team up with your server and get the info you need to make solid choices.

Call ahead: Especially in fine dining or family-owned restaurants, the staff really wants to make your dining experience being a pleasant one. You can almost always call ahead to ask questions and make special requests — especially now that so many restaurants are at least aware of food allergies and so many diners’ need to be gluten free. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you need; It often makes people feel good to accommodate your needs, especially if it means repeat business.

Click the link above for the rest of her great tips!

Is there a restaurant forum?  Have other members posted their favorite restaurants from different areas of the country?  That would be helpful for those of us who travel or who have to go out to eat with clients.  Thanks.  

• Moderators

Is there a restaurant forum? Have other members posted their favorite restaurants from different areas of the country? That would be helpful for those of us who travel or who have to go out to eat with clients. Thanks.

Check the Travel and Dining Out section of the forum, but always remember that just because someone says something is compliant, or even just because it used to be, doesn't always mean you can just assume that it still is: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/9-travel-and-dining-out/

The Order Something Other than Steak Challenge.   Hmmmm... half rack and lobster.  No rub on the ribs, tail grilled dry.  Swap in spinach and broccoli or ask what's in the chef surprise.

You'll eat fat that's got more antibiotics in it than TGIF beef.  Maybe. The tails were farmed and fed... wait, I can't say that, people might be eating.

The spinach will be mush sitting in a steam table.

The ideal choice would be another menu.  Not just because oh, come on, it's only once in a while, but because their use of soy/miso all over the place means it's unlikely their customers are tuned in to what's wrong with commercial food supply and they happily make a profit for the VC that saved Fridays from bankruptcy.

Archived