Day 11. So so tired.

rhed

I don't know if this is normal, or my normal for this stage, but I am utterly exhausted. I was exhausted on day 5 and 6 as well, better on 8 and 9, then back to exhausted.

My water intake is around 100-110 ounces per day, which is a little low for me (at 240ish lbs, I know I should be hitting 120 oz). I'm awake at 5:15 to get to work, so meal 1 is at around 6, meal 2 around 11, and meal 3 around 5 or 5:30, on a normal day.

Last few days in meals have looked like this (note: everything is compliant as I check all my labels, and dressings are homemade):

Monday

Meal 1: 4 eggs, 1 Aidell's chicken and apple sausage, potatoes

Meal 2: left over frittata w/ salsa (frittata had 7 eggs total, and potato and zucchini and some other veg I can't remember), 1/2 c blackberries, small handful (1/4 c) pecans

Meal 3: tuna salad (2 cans tuna, giant dollop of awesome sauce from WF2, celery, carrot, onion), banana

Exercise: 10 minutes walking at lunch

Tuesday

Meal 2: tuna salad (2 cans tuna, giant dollop of mayo, celery, carrot, onion), banana, small handful (1/4 c) whole pecans
Meal 3: Reuben roll ups from WF 2 (1-2 portions roast beef, 1-1.5 c sauerkraut, Russian dressing for fat), handful of raw carrots and celery
Exercise: 10 minutes walking at lunch

Wednesday

Meal 2: Reuben roll ups from WF 2 (1-2 portions roast beef, 1-1.5 c sauerkraut, Russian dressing for fat), handful of raw carrots and celery
Snack: strawberries, 2 hard boiled eggs
Meal 3: grilled chicken breast (1-1.5 portions), boiled new potatoes and green beans, giant dollop of mayo as a sauce

I've been trying to make sure I get my fat serving in at every meal. I'm not afraid of eating fat, it's just something I have to really think about adding. I know my snack yesterday was not the greatest choice -- I should have had a veg to go with my eggs. I normally don't snack at all, but dinner was delayed and I was caught short.

Sleep: I head toward bed at 9, and I'm asleep by 10, usually sooner. The last 2 nights I've woken up around 1 a.m. to use the bathroom. My room is as dark as I can make it (for now, when I have the budget I'm going to get new curtains that cover more of the windows) -- which is not quite cave-dark, but close. 

It's also coming up on that time of month for me. I haven't added any starches because I feel like I get enough.

Any tweaks I might be able to do to get over this tiredness? Or do I just need to push through and stay the course?

• Administrators

You might try moving your starches to the middle or last meal of the day, some people report better sleep and better daytime energy if they steer away from fruit and starches in the morning.

Also note that you are only 10 days into this transition so if it is something quite different from where you were AND you are getting your period, your body is working on overtime trying to make it all work.

My suggestion is to take it easy for awhile.

Guest Andria

Your meals do look really good. Good job!

Many people find it takes getting past the first 2 weeks before they feel the increase in energy.  I agree with LadyShanny to move your starches to later in the day. This will help with sleep and may keep your blood sugar levels more stable during the day.

I'm starting to believe that sleep is actually so much more important than anyone has previously thought. Seems like you're focusing on getting good quality sleep, but do you wake naturally, i.e., without an alarm? My thought is maybe as your system regulates you might actually need a little more sleep than 7 hours? 

Thanks, ladyshanny and Andria. :) I'll try eating my eggs and meat on a bed of spinach in the mornings and see if that changes anything...and I'll be patient and just keep swimming.

Misshannah, I'd like to wake up naturally, but I just can't. 5:15 is the latest I can sleep if I want to be to work on time, and therefore off work on time, and have time in the afternoon for things I need to do. Plus my cats will wake me by 6 if I'm not up, the little hellions. :P

Misshannah, I'd like to wake up naturally, but I just can't. 5:15 is the latest I can sleep if I want to be to work on time, and therefore off work on time, and have time in the afternoon for things I need to do. Plus my cats will wake me by 6 if I'm not up, the little hellions. :P

I think she might be suggesting you need an earlier bed time to go with that early wake up time. I struggle with this myself. If at all possible try adjusting your bedtime back 5-10 minutes a night until you are getting something closer to 8 hours of sleep and see if that helps. 

• Administrators

Another way to encourage natural waking is to not sleep in or stay up late on weekends.  A consistent sleep schedule (preferrably 8 or more hours of sleep) helps tremendously in setting your natural clock.

Archived