Are Burnt Vegetables Bad For You?

Letthemusicplay6

Hey everyone,

Well, my main question is pretty much what the topic is.  I mean, I would assume in the very least they won't be "as good for you" if they are burnt. But I was concerned if they are actually "not good for you" or "bad for you"

When I googled it I read a few articles that said when you burn them to a certain point it releases stuff that isn't good for you. Which is why I got a little concerned.  I know you can't believe a lot of things you read on the internet, so that's why I decided to post the question here to see if anyone knew in more detail if there was any truth to it, and, if so, exactly how bad it is for you.

Best way to describe it though, is to picture some curly green kale that are probably 1/2-3/4 green and the rest burnt pretty black and it gets very crunchy.  I know what you must be thinking "Ewww burnt vegetables?!" But I think they taste great depending on which one, I just want to make sure it's not causing something bad for my health.

I actually figured out how to post a picture to give people a better idea what I am talking about.

So I'll take any input in general on burnt vegetables anyone would like to leave, but my questions are:

Are they still good for you, just not as good for you, depending on how burnt they are?

Are they actually bad for you?

Or maybe it actually even depends on what kind of vegetable it is?

Or does cooking/burning vegetables like this not even effect the nutrition value(s) of them at all? (Which I doubt?)

If people aren't really sure, can you please suggest another forums or somewhere else I can post this same exact question?

Thanks in advance everyone, I really appreciate it!

post-37162-0-27460800-1434040873_thumb.j

I've eaten many burnt sacrifices.  I don't think it will hurt you.  Roasting kale gets easier with practice.

1. Directions
    1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. ...
    3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

I've seen some reports that claim charcoal grilling/oven roasting/anything that chars food is supposed to increase free radicals or carcinogens or something. I don't put a lot of stock in it. Dark roasted veggies are awesome. If they still taste good, then I vote for eating them.

I've seen some reports that claim charcoal grilling/oven roasting/anything that chars food is supposed to increase free radicals or carcinogens or something. I don't put a lot of stock in it. Dark roasted veggies are awesome. If they still taste good, then I vote for eating them.

Thank you very much for your replies everyone!!

Yeah, when I googled it I read a few articles that said this too. When you burn them to a certain point it releases stuff that isn't good for you. Which is why I got a little concerned.  I know you can't believe a lot of things you read on the internet, so that's why I decided to post the question here to see if anyone knew in more detail if there was any truth to it, and, if so, exactly how bad it is for you.

*Edit

I'm going to edit my first post saying this too!

Are the Burnt Bits of Veggies Carcinogenic?

When meat is cooked using high heat, carcinogenic compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are formed. But the carcinogens are more about the meat than the method of cooking.

The formation of HCAs is “not a problem in vegetables,” says Dee Sandquist, who is a registered dietitian and a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. A fact sheet put out by the National Cancer Institute explains that “HCAs form when amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) and creatine (a chemical found in muscles) react at high cooking temperatures.” Vegetables don’t contain creatine, so they don’t produce HCAs.

PAHs are formed only when you grill over an open flame and meat fat drips onto the flames, says Krista L. Haynes, staff dietitian for the Cancer Project, a nonprofit organization that researches the links between nutrition and cancer. Carcinogens then rise in the smoke and adhere to the surface of the food. Increased temperature and longer cooking times lead to higher levels of both PAHs and HCAs.

Only a minimal number of PAHs are formed when vegetable-based fat is burned, says Haynes, and “the amount [of oil] used at home wouldn’t produce significant levels.”

When you burn vegetables in an oven it doesn't cause any cancer.  If you were grilling vegetables over charcoal briquettes, wood, etc....vs. oven = no probs. . 

Archived