Starting June 12!!

TCans

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all.

Day 6 has been finished! Energy level still lower than I like and today I had a very bad headache- which is weird because I was on a primal -ish diet before so the change in eating isn't too drastic. Hmm? Well, I'm anticipating a better feeling day tomorrow.

I'm enjoying my cream free cof fee now too :)

I made the mayo and the cilantro-lime mayo both are delish and feel very decadent. I have to remind myself it's an ok food.

hope everyone is well!

TCans, what are you using the cilantro-lime mayo on/in? Has there been a weather/barometric pressure change where you are? I notice that I can get headaches depending on whatbthe weather is doing.

kmg4805, I am a fan of chicken salad as well. I need to whip up some mayo as I plan to roast a chicken tomorrow. I think it will be good for lunch.

boadice, no cravings for me either. I also am trying to increase my breakfast size a bit, albeit slowly.

JamBre, nice job avoiding temptation at that party. Sounds like you have a supportive husband.

Ck- yes weather can be a factor but I was also feeling ..... well, I can't really describe how I was feeling except for the headache. It was like being jet lagged I guess.

Good news is that day 7 is starting out much better. No headache and no fog. I'm hoping to have energy to do some kind of workout after work today. Even if it's a small one.

I use the cilantro-lime mayo on grilled chicken so far. Put a little heat on the chicken rub to offset the mayo. It was good.

From what the book says we are going into a few trying days here when people often quit. Let's help each other thru it- together!!

Added to that were headed to a weekend at friends - very nervous about this.

have a good day all!!!

Thanks for the notice that we might be entering a rough patch. Let's hope it'll be easier if we're prepared for it! I have to eat out tonight, so I am planning on having a snack beforehand so that I won't be ravenous at the restaurant; although I think I have noticed that I seem to be less hungry going into meals these last few days.

Hello everyone! I started June 12th also.

How are you two doing on your whole30? So its 7 and I'm pretty surprised on how well its going. I am doing the whole30 with my kids and husband as well.  My kitchen is a pile of dishes on a daily basis because of all the cooking but I have been cooking more than I ever have. I'm following the meal plan in the Whole30 book just to get an idea of what the authors see as a typical whole30. I know once I get used to it I will be more efficient and cleaner about it.

My 3 year old son is actually doing quite well. He had a crazy sugar and carb loaded diet and was my big inspiration to do this. He has never been into eating veggies or meat, so the struggle is real. I'm taking a laid back approach with him. I've taken away all of his staples and understand he wont commit to changing overnight. That being said he loves Spaghetti with meatsauce, using spaghetti squash and I've found a smoothy in the morning for breakfast works out great for him. I put 2 egg whites for protein, spinach, a carrot, some frozen banana, frozen berries, almonds or cashews, coconut cream and water...He loves it. His diet is heavy in fruit but I will take that over processed granola bars, PB &J sandwiches and Mac n Cheese any day. He seems to be happier and his moods aren't swinging as much as they did before.

My 1 year old daughter is such a great eater that it almost seems like she has been eating like this her entire life. She loves the carnitas recipe in the book. Poor thing has all 4 eye teeth breaking right now so sleep is a broken up jumble but I know that this to shall pass.

My husband fell off the wagon at a day and a half by way of brownies and icecream at work. We made a compromise and I gave him his cereal, tortilla chips, bread, jelly and beer. He gave me the support of not expecting me to cook double meals. What i make for me and the kids he'll eat. What I make for him to take to work for lunch, he'll eat. He thinks he's back to normal but really he's eating so much healthier then he was just a week ago. I make eggs for breakfast every morning for both of us so at least he's getting protein with his cereal. I consider this a win!!

As for me, I'm doing great. The first three days were hell, headaches, no energy and a lot of self forgiveness for my house going $#!%, not to mention all of the emotions coming up, that before the whole30, I'm pretty sure were shoved down with spoonfuls of ice cream and chocolate bars. I remember reading something about grieving the food you have lost and for me day 5 I was experiencing food depression. Starting yesterday that has changed and life is starting to get back on track. I have moved into the food grieving stage of anger. Mad that I can't eat this or that, then I remember I can but I'm choosing not to and that anger shifts into being mad that i have allowed food to have this much control over me. I'm pretty sure I'm starting to enter a boredom stage. The newness has worn off and I'm not getting the excitement from food that I used to. The boredom is being counter balanced by the "oh, look, skinnies" comment I've been getting from my husband for the past couple of days.

Anybody experiencing weird energy shifts? I'm tired at bedtime then right before a go in to go to sleep I have odd surges of energy and can't sleep. I will also wake up in the middle of the night with a burst of energy and am having a hard time falling back to sleep.

My daughter is sitting on the dinning room table with my tank top on her head. I think that's my sign to end this post. If you've actually read this far THANK YOU for taking the time out to hear me hash all of this out. 

Hi everyone,

Day 7 is under way! I am torn as to whether or not I should still call this Day 7 as I ate shelled peas yesterday not realizing they were legumes. It was brought to my attention after I posted on another feed and I was so bummed! I have going back and forth all day as to whether or not I should call this Day 1 or Day 7 but I'm probably going to stick with Day 7 and move on because I started this program to get rid of my act in gear so I can walk down the aisle in October without hating my body and those shelled peas didn't compromise that. I'm still feeling the benefits (and seeing the benefits - my skin is brighter somehow) and I'll make up for it by doing a whole36 :).

@NieceyLee - I am definitely feeling weird energy shifts. I feel them at night before bed (get in bed and immediately feel wide awake) and I have been experiencing a total slump in the afternoons between 3 and 6. I have also been waking up feeling super energized and then feeling slumpy around 10. It ebbs and flows. During days 4 and 5 I was sooooo tired from morning until night but now it's the weird undulations. I'm trying to exercise more to even things out and I'm drinking a TON of water. 

I hope everyone is holding strong! I do miss white wine...

@NeiceyLee- Hi!! I read your entire post and appreciate your detail!

Good for you for choosing health for you and your kids!! Even the hubs!! Mine is like yours- being supportive and eating the meals I make. He's liked them but gets hungry and needs more food. Meh- gotta choose your battles.

Like you and @kmg I'm feeling some wild energy shifts. I hope this gets better next week.

Day 7 = win!!

Day 7 is under way! I am torn as to whether or not I should still call this Day 7 as I ate shelled peas yesterday not realizing they were legumes. It was brought to my attention after I posted on another feed and I was so bummed! I have going back and forth all day as to whether or not I should call this Day 1 or Day 7 but I'm probably going to stick with Day 7 and move on because I started this program to get rid of my act in gear so I can walk down the aisle in October without hating my body and those shelled peas didn't compromise that. I'm still feeling the benefits (and seeing the benefits - my skin is brighter somehow) and I'll make up for it by doing a whole36 :).

If you're not planning on starting over you might want to leave your legume reintro until 30 days after you last ate them as legumes interfere with the development of protective gut barriers & cause inflammation - this way you'll get a more accurate response from your reintro.

Morning of day 8:

Is this worth it? I'm thinking to myself as I wake up with another headache this question. Feeling bloated and very tempted to pull the scale out. I mean, the scale will telle whether this is worth it or not, right?

I'm going to try a 10 mile bike ride this morning. I don't know if I have the energy to go my usual route. Is this worth it???

This weekend we'll be at friends house- how am I going to do this without going into a whole30 discussion (which I don't want to have) an bring attention to myself?

Yes, I'm planning - I truly am. The eggs are boiling now and I have a stash of whole foods to eat. But still?? I'm thinking just a short answer- " I'm eating gluten-free and dairy free" will put the kabosh on any discussion.

ARGH! !!!!

Can I do this?

(Thanks for listening te vent)

Gluten & Dairy free leave you open to sugar, alcohol, soy & all sorts of others nasties - just say you are on an elimination diet to try to pin point some problem foods for you.

Days 7-10 are the days when most people drop out - don't be one of those people - commitment is staying true to a decision you've made even when the mood you were in when you made it has passed....

If you're not planning on starting over you might want to leave your legume reintro until 30 days after you last ate them as legumes interfere with the development of protective gut barriers & cause inflammation - this way you'll get a more accurate response from your reintro.

Thanks, jmcbn! I will definitely do that. My plan is to be whole30 compliant from now until my first bridal shower on Sunday, July 26 so I'll definitely get a good 30 days between the day I last had the peas and then. This is also why I'm not kicking myself too hard over the screw up because I know I'm in this for the long haul and I can't let shelled peas be my unraveling.  :)

@all - My stomach area is definitely my weak spot in terms of where I collect fat. After only one week I'm noticing a leaning out in my arms and legs but my stomach is still a bulge. Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone know when we can expect to see results in that area? I suppose I should be a little more patient as it is only Day 8 and I had an indiscretion with peas.

Happy Friday!

Thanks jm. I'll say that cause that really doesn't open things up for convo either. Appreciate it!

And I WILL NOT QUIT!!! I promise myself and my "team" here. I will.stay with the decision I made.

kmg- noticing the same thinning of upper body but still have the gut. Book says this is normal at this time and will dissappear next week.

let's hang tough!

TCans, I am glad to hear you aren't going to quit. I like the way the moderator phrased explaining the change in eating. That will be helpful for all of us. I, too, have had a moment of temptation regarding the scale. I talked myself out of it because I know if I don't see it show a loss then I'd quit and I do not want to quit eating this way. Best to you this weekend at your friend's house.

NieceyLee, welcome, it's nice to meet you. Your compromise with your husband was smart. I am the only one in my household eating this way, however, my husband and sons are eating Whole30 dinners with me and enjoying them. I've always loved cooking, and so the number of dishes to keep up with hasn't changed much other than when I prep things for a few days. I am with you on having some odd energy surges. Ladt night was my best night of sleep since Day 1.

kmg4805, I have not yet noticed a difference in my stomach. I am thinking that area will be last because of our digestion getting used to the increase of veggies. I am going to look through more of this forum to see approximately when others started to see a difference.

boadice, being as I am eating out tomorrow, I'm curious to learn what you found to eat while out.

I referenced the elimination diet to explain my food requirements last night, and no one was particularly curious, which suited me just fine. I was able to order a mixed vegetable stir fry to stay within the dietary guidelines along with a salad with no dressing, which I generally prefer in any case. The ease of eating out will depend quite a lot on the restaurant in question and how willing the staff may be to tweak dishes to suit - good luck!

Good Morning Day 8,

Yes, this is worth it!! I'm doing this because ( place original reason for committing to the whole30 here). I deserve to feel amazing and my family deserves a healthy and happy Mom, Wife, daughter. That's what I repeat in my head when things get shakey. We are approaching the big "I Quit" days. Along with "What? Why are my jeans still tight around my tummy" days. Right now I am going to take the negative road and tell myself that it's all bloating and headaches until day 16. On day 16 I will expect to have experienced at least 10 of the "Non-Scale Victories". I'm taking this day by day, meal by meal and bite by bite. I'm not going to ask if this is worth until I can ask was this worth it. I'm putting my faith in all of the positive testimonies of those who lasted the full 30 days. I wonder what my whole30 testimony will be?

(that's my self pep talk...I just thought I'd share)

It's definitely worth it to me! The discomforts are transitory, and the mental resolve and mindfulness that accompanies a deliberate action feels good in itself. We all had our own reasons for undertaking the Whole30, and there will bound to be benefits from the experience, even if they are a bit different than those expected.

Morning of day 8:

Is this worth it? I'm thinking to myself as I wake up with another headache this question. Feeling bloated and very tempted to pull the scale out. I mean, the scale will telle whether this is worth it or not, right?

I'm going to try a 10 mile bike ride this morning. I don't know if I have the energy to go my usual route. Is this worth it???

This weekend we'll be at friends house- how am I going to do this without going into a whole30 discussion (which I don't want to have) an bring attention to myself?

Yes, I'm planning - I truly am. The eggs are boiling now and I have a stash of whole foods to eat. But still?? I'm thinking just a short answer- " I'm eating gluten-free and dairy free" will put the kabosh on any discussion.

ARGH! !!!!

Can I do this?

(Thanks for listening te vent)

I totally empathize with you. As you said in your most recent post, we must hang in there! I am going to a friend's bridal shower and bachelorette party this weekend and I am dreading it. I'm not afraid that I'm going to cheat, but I am dreading having to explain to everyone why I'm not drinking or eating anything. They've pre-ordered food for everything and there is no way I'm risking it by trying to find something compliant. I'll just eat beforehand and keep a stiff upper lip if any questions start flying. I just wish people would stop asking/pushing after the first round. After people get a few drinks in them they tend to forget that you're not drinking too. On that note, if anyone is missing a Friday/Saturday cocktail, kombucha is actually a great alternative! 

@all - WE GOT THIS! We're feeling bloated, we're feeling tired and unmotivated, but we're not quitters!  :D  :D

Hey everyone,

Just checking in. I made it through the bridal shower and now I just have the Bachelorette party. The shower wasn't too bad. There were a few times that I was thinking to myself that it would be so much easier to just eat whatever they were putting in front of everyone else but I think that was mostly because my eating has been weird today. I had a normal breakfast - 3 eggs made into egg salad with compliant mayo, a big salad and an apple with almond butter. Also, my usual coffee and coconut milk. I made sure to load up on fats because I didn't know what would be served for lunch and when. Breakfast was at about 9:45 (later than usual) and then we didn't sit down for lunch until 1:30. I was STARVING and lunch was a teensy salad with a tiny bit of chicken on it. I left the bridal shower at 3:15 and had an Rx bar. I just had some chicken salad and strawberries to tide me over until dinner tonight (8pm) which will probably be another salad. It feels a little all over because I'm usually pretty good about eating three big meals a day without snacking.

I hope everyone is holding strong! We're almost halfway there (almost).

P.s. sorry for the long post but sharing helps me stay on track.

Sounds like things are going well! I hope you're proud of yourself for making it work even through situations that you can't control very well.

Unfortunately, I mindlessly drank an Emergen-C this afternoon and only thought to check the ingredients afterwards. It's annoying, but there you have it. I'm finishing the day with a compliant meal, as I had planned, and starting my count over tomorrow.

Hang in there. We're in this for the long haul. Remember that you're changing your behavior and approach to food, not just what you put in your mouth. If that was your hiccup, I'd say you're doing pretty darn good! :) After my shelled pea incident it was easier for me to continue counting up (I'm still considering this day 10) and just adjust the number of days I planned on doing it for. Rather than a whole30, a whole36. It was more motivating for me to do it that way rather than go back to "day 1". I know the logic is a little skewed.

Looks like this weekend has been a challenge for many of us. It's ok though. We are in for the long haul- true. And minor hiccups happen.

One more day full of situations - we can do it!

Eating out yesterday, and with family members out of town, went better than I had anticipated. We went to a diner for lunch, but they also served breakfast items all day. I ordered three poached eggs and fresh fruit and it was great. I was asked why I didn't order my usual type of breakfast and I told them I was on an elimination diet and that I expected it to help with my allergies and my back. I was shocked when my sister, who is hosting the July 4th bbq and is grilling homemade pizzas, said, "I'll grill a few pieces of chicken for you."

Archived