Cystic Acne

I'm on Day 19 and my cystic acne is out of control. My skin looked incredible the last 2 weeks and it felt totally clear until a few days ago when I was starting to see really large acne around my chin and jawline. I've been working out consistently, but always without makeup and always shower immediately after. I went from having great skin to embarrassing, bad skin in just a couple of days. It hurts and I can't seem to figure out exactly what could be causing this. Any advice anyone may have would be great. I have a long history of acne and have tried pretty much everything! 

• Moderators

If you could list a couple of days' worth of food, with portion sizes relative to the meal template -- and especially if you happen to know what you ate in the days leading up to this breakout, we might be able to help you pinpoint something.

Are you by any chance female? I know hormonal stuff can cause this, and I ask specifically because in both of her pregnancies, my sister got really bad cystic acne very early on. Not saying it's necessarily a pregnancy, but maybe some other hormonal stuff could be going on.

I keep it pretty simple since I'm fairly picky but the last few days have been:

Breakfast:

Scrambled eggs with veggies

Small portion of roasted potatoes

Fruit

Lunch:

Roasted turkey

Carrots/cucumbers

Grapes/melon 

Larabar

Dinner:

Chicken or fish

Roasted cauliflower or brussel sprouts 

Green beans or sweet potatoes

It could be hormonal, but my acne has been under control since before I started Whole 30, it is just flaring up now. and I can verify that I am definitely not pregnant :) Thanks for your help!

Chin and jawline acne indicates that your hormonal background is changing. As someone who went through this, I can tell that there are few things you can do at this point:

- breathe 

- wait (screw you Nadia B, what kind of advice is that?)

- stop eating nuts or nut butters as these are common skin disturbers

- start eating greens, LOADS of them. Liver love much

- step up your spices game (cinnamon, tumeric, garlic and ginger are your friends)

- try fish oil, maca or bee pollen, they are linked to hormone balancing in a several studies, but it's more anecdotal

- sleep and rest will need to be a priority for a bit, don't sacrifice it in lieu for the gym (this might be the toughest and I totally get it)

- search on the forum, there are few threads about the same thing. Google+acne+whole30 = win

Report back in a week or se, we need to know how are you doing.  

I saw elsewhere on the forums that someone suddenly started have a symptom that they traced to the BPA lining in their can of coconut milk! I don't see any on your food list, but it could be something sneaky like that... 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,
I'm on my day 25 and I didn't have any acne od this diet, but I used to get some breakouts while following other diets. Probably it's a detox reaction and you'll get a beautiful skin, but if not you should check food allergies. Maybe you need some vitamin D3 - it's crucial for skin. In my acne period I was using curology treatment, tee tree oil, zinc paste and supplied D3. Here are some curology reviews with progress pictures . Btw you should check this one from whole30 if you haven't come across this article.

I have had bad cystic acne for most of my life. I came across dermalmd blemish serum and decided to try it out since it wasn't that expensive. I received the product quicker, which I always like! After a few days of using dermalmd serum I noticed the pimples that I have had were going away without any scaring! What I like best about this serum is that it didn't leave my skin dry!

Archived