Day 13-achy and weepy

I'm wondering if I need to adjust what I'm doing.  I'm 5 weeks post partum and am exclusively breastfeeding.  I'm doing a Whole30 because I was getting hives a couple of times a week and really don't want to be relying on antihistamines.  This is my second Whole30.  I'm very pleased that I have not had a case of the hives since starting.  My probelm right now is that I am super sore, my neck and upper back I understand, but my hips and thighs are in a lot of pain as well.  I also have been in a funk the past week that has been hard to manage, I'm concerned about it being post partum depression.  This is my 4th child and my 2nd time dealing with ppd, so I'm only asking about how it relates to Whole30. 

Here's what I ate yesterday just so you have an idea of what a day may look like:

breakfast-decaf coffee with coconut milk, 2 eggs over salad greens and 1/2 an avocado

lunch-leftovers-salad with chicken, almonds, dates, avocado and olive oil based dressing

snack-sweet potato and tuna salad

dinner-chicken lettuce tacos

snack-1/4 cup of guacamole

late night snack-more tuna salad, banana, almond butter, coconut flakes

Thanks!

• Moderators

Hi, Mags79, congrats on the new baby! I'm sorry you're having a rough time.

Please remember that none of us here are doctors. We can only offer you general advice. PPD is serious stuff, so please keep in touch with your healthcare provider or other trusted professionals, and seek whatever medical care you need from them.

In general, we recommend that nursing moms have four full template-sized meals or more, in order to keep up their energy and their supply. It's hard to tell your portion sizes for some meals, but you might be eating a little light. For instance, when eggs are your only protein, a serving is usually as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand -- so more thank likely at least three.

Upping your servings of starchy vegetables may be helpful. They help with the production of serotonin which helps to improve mood. Don't be afraid to have multiple servings a day for a while. 

I have no clue on the soreness, maybe someone else will weigh in with some suggestions on that.

Thanks for replying.  Yup, I had ppd with my first, so I'm on it, but didn't try and do any diet changes then, so wasn't sure if others had experience.  I just bought 2 bags of sweet potatoes and plan on having a couple a day and I'll up my portions to make sure I'm getting enough fuel.   The achiness is getting better, probably wasn't food related.  I'm trying to work on my posture, especially while nursing. 

Congratulations on your new baby! I'd venture a guess that the soreness is tension-related, from holding/rocking/nursing said baby. I had terrible pain in my arms and shoulders when my kids were tiny! I kept having to remind myself to relax my muscles, especially while nursing. Epsom salt baths are wonderful, if you get the chance.

For my own moodiness (and postpartum depression), I found that fat was the key to feeling well. My partner calls it "mood lube." It looks like you're doing great with your fats, though, so more carbs might be in order. I second the suggestion to up your starchy vegetable intake—maybe a little with each meal?

I am on day 8 and the last 2 nights I've tossed and turned because of the achy pain in my hips and thighs. I'm thinking I'm not getting enough of something in me. If you figure out whats causing it, let me know. Between this and a nursing 9 month old baby waking up throughout the night, this means I'm not getting much sleep.

thedancer, I don't know what it was, but the achiness is significantly better.  The starchy veggies have certainly been helping my mood (and maybe the achiness, but I don't know).  I still can't get in 4 meals a day (schedule wise it's difficult), but I have upped my portions of my 3 and added starchy veg at each and I've been much more stable emotionally and feel better overall.  Baby girl also gave me a super nights' sleep Sunday night, and I'm sure that helped a ton. 

thedancer, I don't know what it was, but the achiness is significantly better.  The starchy veggies have certainly been helping my mood (and maybe the achiness, but I don't know).  I still can't get in 4 meals a day (schedule wise it's difficult), but I have upped my portions of my 3 and added starchy veg at each and I've been much more stable emotionally and feel better overall.  Baby girl also gave me a super nights' sleep Sunday night, and I'm sure that helped a ton. 

Don't worry about eating four actual sit down (or stand up) meals right now. Just eat as much as you can whenever you get the chance. You can do schedules later. Really. I'm not saying to eat less food, I'm just saying to not try to structure it the way you would if you weren't mothering a newborn.

A good night's sleep is worth its weight in gold, glad you got one of those.

Archived