Whole30 supply drop/ night wakings

Before doing the Whole 30 my baby girl had been sleeping through the night. When I started the diet my supply dropped big time and she started waking at night again. Since finishing I've incorporated the occasional beer to keep supply up but she's still waking up to feed circa 3-4am. Any suggestions/advice? Better ways to keep up supply besides off roading?

If you're noticing a true supply drop as measured by fewer wet and poopy diapers, then you might want to connect with a La Leche League group or leader to get some support for increasing your supply.

If, by chance, your baby is in that fun zone between 7 and 10 months, then 3:00 a.m. is prime wakeup time. My girls are eleven now and I STILL remember them waking up to eat and play at 3:00 a.m. at those ages. Argh!

If you would like specific tips on meals, incorporating Whole30 principles, you can post a few days' worth of meals here for ideas. In general, we want you to eat four FULL meals per day, plus extra compliant fat throughout the day as needed, while nursing. We want you to make each meal like this:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat (aim for "or more")

3. 1-3 cups of veggies

Hope that helps a bit. Waking up at night isn't, by itself, an indication of supply drop. You really have to go by the wet and poopy diapers. As to keeping a 7-10 month old from waking at night, there's a reason so many people (usually men :rolleyes: ) are making so much money on books and programs to get babies to sleep at night. :lol: 

Thanks for the advice Amy. I hadn't noticed a drop in diapers but I did drop 7.5 lbs in 3 wks so I'm guessing I wasn't eating enough. Definitely not 4 full meals. As for her age, you guessed correctly. So I'm guessing I just have to grin and bear it for the next few months.

Thanks for the advice Amy. I hadn't noticed a drop in diapers but I did drop 7.5 lbs in 3 wks so I'm guessing I wasn't eating enough. Definitely not 4 full meals. As for her age, you guessed correctly. So I'm guessing I just have to grin and bear it for the next few months.

Ha! I used to be a La Leche League leader and I can't tell you how many times women reported their supply dropping, baby waking up, baby won't nurse, etc., and it turns out baby was 9 months old, highly distractable, and really eager to play at 3:00 a.m. It's maddening but doesn't mean your nursing days are over (this was a big concern of the LLL moms at meetings).

If you dropped 7.5 lbs in three weeks, that's  a lot, I bet you can eat more. Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

If you're noticing a true supply drop as measured by fewer wet and poopy diapers, then you might want to connect with a La Leche League group or leader to get some support for increasing your supply.

If, by chance, your baby is in that fun zone between 7 and 10 months, then 3:00 a.m. is prime wakeup time. My girls are eleven now and I STILL remember them waking up to eat and play at 3:00 a.m. at those ages. Argh!

If you would like specific tips on meals, incorporating Whole30 principles, you can post a few days' worth of meals here for ideas. In general, we want you to eat four FULL meals per day, plus extra compliant fat throughout the day as needed, while nursing. We want you to make each meal like this:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat (aim for "or more")

3. 1-3 cups of veggies

Hope that helps a bit. Waking up at night isn't, by itself, an indication of supply drop. You really have to go by the wet and poopy diapers. As to keeping a 7-10 month old from waking at night, there's a reason so many people (usually men :rolleyes: ) are making so much money on books and programs to get babies to sleep at night. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived