Starting Whole 30 on June 21st

GAgal

Food for my workday (I work 12 hour shifts)

2 hardboiled eggs, 1 hardboiled egg (one jumped out of my hand after I shelled it and hit the floor, I'm not one for the 5 second rule sooo....), 1/2 avocado, grape tomatoes and an apple for brekkie.

Lunch is...Grilled chicken breast, cauliflower roasted in coconut oil and cayenne pepper, sunflower seeds and dried nectarine and mango slices (homemade, nothing added) and sliced cucumber and the other half of that avocado.  Also have a laCroix coconut water, could be interesting or a disaster!

Dunno what dinner will be, I'm hoping steak but the hubs is cooking tonight, so we'll see.  (he's not doing W30, but knows I am and know what to make)

(I posted a long topic with my details in the Whole30 log forum if anyone wants more deets)  :D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning everyone! I am loving our little group. Looks like everyone is ready to go. I know I am!

We are working in the garden today and are fixing lunch for my pop-in-law (W30 compliant but he won't know ;) ). I will post details this evening. I hope all of you have a fabulous, healthy eating day.

Hello everyone.   You are starting today.   While I am by no means an expert or "veteran", I am on Day 5 and I wanted to share a wonderful reward that I have achieved in just these few short days.   Day one by blood pressure was 160/106...Day five it was 133/93.   If that isn't motivating, I don't know what is  :-)    And yes...down in weight as well...I know, I know...I'm not supposed to step on the scale!    My mindset is not on what I can't have at all...but thrilled with the eye appealing, healthy and tasty meals I am preparing for myself.   Having fun making my own mayonnaise and salad dressings.   Love the La Croix canned sparkling water.  Stay focused, stay energized, stay positive.   

Although my packed food for the work day "seemed" like enough, it was not.  Lesson learned!  I'm hanging tough with some iced coffee and I'll be sure to eat more at dinner tonight.

A tip... try laCroix!  It's the bomb, I bought coconut flavored and it is really, really good!

Anyone on this thread feel free to add me as a friend!

Hi all, I started today too, I'm doing it with my H2B.  He doesn't need to lose weight at all but wants to support me and be more healthy.  I'm doing to lose weight and try and sort myself out really, I want to balance my hormones and not rely on alcohol & sugar so much.

It's been ok today, been quite hungry but it's not hunger really - it's boredom!  All I can think about now is wanting red wine and biscuits haha! This is why I have come on here, it's only 30 days, we can do it :)  Good luck everyone, here's to the next 30 days xx

Hi,

I'm starting today.  I may not be as well prepared as I could be but I believe I'm ready.  I've toyed with the idea of Paleo for years, knowing it would be a good thing for me but I'm a carb addict - particularly pasta and rice - and have felt really unable to make the commitment.  I'm 61 and have been working to get off pharmaceutical drugs for the past year and have been researching getting off Nexium, which I've taken for more than 20 years.  And wouldn't you know it, no matter what direction I head I keep seeing the need to avoid grains.  I've been trying different supplements that are not working as well as I hoped and since my dad died of esophageal cancer, I am concerned about the recurrent heartburn. 

I've been surfing a lot of paleo websites but the list of health conditions addressed in the testimonials on the Whole30 site is so impressive and the fact that I can get some hand-holding on this forum did the trick for me.

Happy to be here, a little scared about how to handle cravings and other withdrawal symptoms, but determined to do this and feel better!

Best,

RA

Yeah, Firefrog, one of the things I learned is that I need a much bigger breakfast than I would have thought possible. This morning I had a 3 egg omelette with onion, garlic and lots of lightly steamed broccoli. I find that the large breakfast really works to help me feel fuller and more satisfied throughout the day.

Hope everyone had a great first day!

Well 1st day is in the books.  Here's what we had....

Meal 1 - 2 eggs fried in clarified butter (topped w/gauc & red pepper sauce), 2 homemade sausage patties, sweet potato and pepper home fries, coffee w/coconut milk

Meal 2 - Steak (yum), roasted potatoes w/olive oil and fresh herbs,  grilled asparagus, roasted red pepper mayo, blue berries & strawberries

Meal 3 - Leftover steak from lunch (it was a large ribeye), salad with spiralized small yellow squash and small cucumber, tomato and orange bell pepper, ranch dressing, 1/2 cup cantalope

Lots and lots of water w/lemon.  Breakfast and lunch for tomorrow are ready to go.  It's been a good day.

Hi all! I also started today! And feelin goooood. 

Meals all on-plan, very veggie heavy and filling (dinner for example was a big stir fry with 1 full zucchini, cabbage, onion, jalapeno, 1/2 avo, .25 pounds local beef, in EVOO salt and pepper) 

However didn't do the pre/post exercise food thing (did Bikram yoga). Anybody else pretty athletic? 

Hooray for the first day!
Amanda

Not exactly, Amanda. It was so hot and sticky here today (I'm in Vermont) that I was not particularly hungry through the day. I had a few almonds and some water before I went out this evening, and then I ate dinner after I cooled down and had a shower.

Day2, much better prepared today!

B: 2 fried eggs, 1/2 avocado, chicken sausage and grilled red peppers.

L: Made some W30 approved chili... more like ground beef with spices and veggies and more spices.  I'm really looking forward to that!

D: Thinking... pork chop and acorn squash.

Our beef and pork are from a local Amish farmer and soooo delish!

Oh and also going to get a run in this evening while the hubs is playing soccer.

Day 1 down!  And....I had my first challenge.  A couple of well-meaning friends invited me to come over for dinner (in a text) and listed the menu - only the chicken would have been okay.  I texted back that I would pass, since I just started a Whole30.  I explained what it was, and she couldn't believe that I would start a "diet" - her words - right before a holiday - or at the end of a month - or during the summer.  Seriously....this is what she said.  I told her there was never a perfect time, and besides, this was not a diet, I was not feeling deprived, and that I was trying to alleviate the inflammation in my body.  (This person has a lot of health issues - I was hoping to peak her interest).  I tried to be graceful about it, and I told them I had dinner already planned, so we could do it another time.  I'm supposed to go there on the 4th of July for a party, but now I'm re-thinking that.  I don't want them to call attention to me and my "plan" in front of their other guests.  I know they would not do that to be intentionally mean, but I'm not sure if I can handle that.  I may just go over there later that evening after all the food is put away.

Anyway, must get ready for work.  Talk to you all later.

Wow! That sounds like an odd reaction for what was an impromptu invitation in the first place. I haven't explained what I'm doing to any of my friends and colleagues as it seems like a rather tedious topic of conversation. I've always thought it was a bit invasive to pay too much attention to what someone might be choosing to eat.

I think people have these kinds of reactions because they KNOW they need to make changes and feel guilty. They try to make people who are making positive changes feel bad so that the positive change people will go back to their old behavior an then the friend won't have to feel bad about not doing what they know they need to do.

Gibster2...good for you on sticking with your plan and not letting someone's negative reaction deter you!  You're right, there never is a "good" time, there's always going to be something going on. 

And I agree with GAgal, some people fell threatened by YOUR healthy choices, like you're doing so draws their attention to their bad choices in their mind.

Boadicea... I added in carrots, too and mushroom and yellow pepper.  Very colorful, also a TBS of unsweetened cocoa powder, gives chilies a rich and really intriguing flavor, a little bit of depth to it, if you know what I mean?

Archived