It's only day 2 but what happens after day 30?

idauria

Ok, so I am new to this challenge, only on day 2. However that doesn't stop me from thinking ahead to day 31. What then? Do I just transition to a regular paleo lifestyle? I guess what I want to know is how this 30 day challenge differs from regular old eating paleo. Can I add stuff back in like artificial sweeteners(stevia)? Will it be ok to make paleo pancakes? These are the questions that keep me up at night!

Thanks!

LOL. I've wondered the same thing...but I made the decision that I'm going to eat as clean as possible even after this is through. I feel way better than I did when I started it...

I think a lot of people just start incorporating small paleo changes. But I'm definitely curious to know as well. :)

Good question. I did Whole30 #1 with no plans for what to do after. After a successful Whole30 I offroaded and went back to eating a lot of junk within a couple of months. Before I began Whole30 #2 I made plans for very minor offroading and plans to repeat several rounds of the Whole30 to make it a habit. I know that for me personally, if I open the door too much with no boundaries, I will end up making far too many exceptions. My offroading plan is very specific. Think about what you think is reasonable and what you might want to add back. You will have to test it as part of reintroduction to see if those foods are worth it to you. Unfortunately, I don't get the digestive distress and horrible feeling from the bad foods. So I have to be extra disciplined to stay on track. It's different for each of us and you will figure out what works for you.

The beauty of the Whole30 is that if you offroad too much, you can always do another round of the Whole30 to get back on track! I wasn't smart enough to learn the lessons I should have the first time, but the second time has been awesome! (I am on day 37? of a Whole45)

I don't really see this as a short term diet. I want to make this my lifestyle. Unfortunately if I don't see it that way then little "offroading" becomes a major detour! I want to learn how to say no to my cravings and instead reach for something that's good for me. That being said, that doesn't mean that I won't occasionally have an ice cream cone. But for now I have to keep those kinds of things out of reach until this way of life sticks.

Here are a few resources that might help answer the question, "What happens on Day 31?"

Whole9 forums: Life After Your Whole30... http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/20-life-after-your-whole30/

Balanced Bites: My nutrition challenge is over - now what? ... http://balancedbites.com/2012/01/after-nutrition-paleo-challenge-elimination-diet.html

Hope you're all having a good W30 (and W45 -- super inspiring, jhmomi!), keep up the great work! :)

Have you considered having a periodic "binge" day? Check out: http://starcreate.hubpages.com/hub/Slow-Carb-Diet-Cheat-Day

which talks about Tim Ferriss' Slow-Carb diet cheat day. There are some pluses and rationale to this, in my opinion.

Again, this is only day 2 for me but...I plan on experimenting with carefully scheduled and planned binge days after completing my first Whole30. At least that how I feel right now....

I am on day 15 and have wondered the same thing. I have done some reading about post-Whole 30, but overall I am trying to just live in the moment. This is a hard concept for me in all areas of my life, but I'm trying to just focus on today and get through to tomorrow. I imagine what I do on day 31 will be the direct result of my journey over the next 15 days. Good luck!!

If you've read the book ISWF, there is an actual transition plan that has you add in items like dairy, grains or whatever if you desire one at a time for 3 days to see how it affects your well being. That way, you will find out what really bothers you if anything. I did Whole30 for the first time over a year ago and rarely have eaten off of that plan, but I like the idea of slowly transitioning for the discovery aspect of it.

Have you considered having a periodic "binge" day? Check out: http://starcreate.hu...-Diet-Cheat-Day

which talks about Tim Ferriss' Slow-Carb diet cheat day. There are some pluses and rationale to this, in my opinion.

Again, this is only day 2 for me but...I plan on experimenting with carefully scheduled and planned binge days after completing my first Whole30. At least that how I feel right now....

You have the potential to go from feeling awesome to crappy in a hot minute... after so much work and recalibrating.

I don't really see this as a short term diet. I want to make this my lifestyle. Unfortunately if I don't see it that way then little "offroading" becomes a major detour! I want to learn how to say no to my cravings and instead reach for something that's good for me. That being said, that doesn't mean that I won't occasionally have an ice cream cone. But for now I have to keep those kinds of things out of reach until this way of life sticks.

This is pretty much on target with how I feel. Halfway through my W30 I decided to go a full 60 days to ensure that my cravings are in check before I do any re-intro. Today is Day 47, and I know myself well enough that if I go off the rails on day 61 or after, it will be an ugly slippery slope back to a very unhealthy place for me, emotionally, mentally and physically. I'm simply not willing to go back there. I'm going to take each day as it comes, and continue to plan for success - but not beat myself up if things don't go perfectly. I agree with jhmomi, you need to know your boundaries, and until I've set some, I'm staying right here, where life has never felt better!

Archived