Things I've learned in the first week.

C_Cezeaux

I am at the successful completion of week 1.  It has been a rough week but definitely had some bright spots.  After struggling severely with brain fog and fatigue, I was helped out by some kind folks who gave me some good tips and pointed some things out that I had missed or hadn't taken seriously.  It has indeed been a learning experience. :)

I thought I would post this, as a sort of celebration and hopefully it helps out someone else as well.

Major points on my learning curve:

Don't just skim the book - READ the book.  Then read it again.  Take notes, make plans like the book says.

Take the warnings seriously - DO NOT take the warnings with a grain of salt and blow them off like I did.

Drink more water than you normally would, there's going to be a lot of flushing going on in your system.

Eat.  No, really, EAT.  This is not a diet, there are all kinds of yummy foods you can have in yummy ways. 

Make sure you get those carbs and starches to stay full!

Be wary when going into the grocery store after you have started - you have never fully appreciated the evil genius of the marketing trick of stocking baked goodies and chips right inside the door until after you start this.  If the store has a pharmacy side, go in there instead.

I have learned that fruit is not necessarily my friend.  My trusty coconut water (unsweetened of course) will stop thirst in its tracks and is very satisfying as well.  Bananas used in soup or cooked, also great.  Other fruits eaten plain or mixed in salads will sadly cause me to be hungry and somewhat shaky way before I should be hungry again.

After it was pointed out to me that I actually needed those starchy veggies in order for things to work right, I reread the book (again), marked some pertinent spots, altered my grocery list, went back to the store again, and planned out the rest of my week.  Things went much better after that.  I definitely followed the timeline (oh, that wicked timeline), but not in such drastic ways as I started out.

I do have cravings, but they are not unmanageable and soon pass.  Although I did have the urge to dive face first into a plate of nachos today... but a short walk took care of that.  And I do so miss dairy, but a small price to pay to put things right.  When I get a severe craving, I have found that if I just go do something else first for a couple minutes I usually forget about it.  Also the example give of "Are you hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli?" will drive it away easily.

The cooking does take a little time but it is SO worth it.  You have no idea how much flavor and goodness you are missing if you are still out there thinking about starting and eating that processed junk.  Simple, easy recipes can make so much good food. :)

My biggest and hardest challenge when it comes to cheating is my scale.  I can feel it lurking, even now.  I moved it. Twice.  Still tempted to step on it.  I have stepped on it daily for two years.  Every. Day.  Ups, downs, stuck in one spot. Every day.  Until now.  After I asked my husband to put it somewhere and please don't tell me where, I have been able to avoid the temptation of stepping on it for a quick peek.  The temptation to look for it occasionally pops up, but usually when I'm tired and that's just too much work when I'm tired.

I have also noticed that I frequently forget to check my fitbit since I started.  I did check it this morning - to see how my sleep pattern  has been progressing.  Completely forgot to check how many steps I've been in the last couple of days.  I have been struggling with being tired, but I've started having some better energy through the morning and am hoping to get the good surges soon.  Oh, and the sleep has improved drastically - last night I was only up once to visit the restroom.  When I started the week, I was averaging around 10 moments of wakefulness in a night.

I have dropped what I am guessing to be a large amount of water weight and hopefully some inflammation.  My "only in emergency, oh lord can I get these on" work jeans slid right on this morning, only mildly snug.

I have only had to take one allergy pill the entire week - and grass/weed pollen are extremely high here right now.

I have worked hard to get through this week, I will continue the battle and I will make the whole 30!  I am worth it.  Bring on the good food!

Congratulation, C_Cezeaux! It sounds like you have really been taking the program seriously and it is paying off already. Very smart to get your hubby to hide the scale. 

I struggled a lot with being tired during the first half of my Whole30, too. It finally got better.

My one piece of advice would be to not go to a restaurant when you are feeling tired or frustrated. It makes it too easy to give oneself the benefit of the doubt that a food is compliant.

you know this, right ;) : Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light” fruit juice. If you’re involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don’t let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.W69Qe8p5.dpuf

great job with the first week. I'm sure things will only get better from here!

you know this, right ;) : Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light” fruit juice. If you’re involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don’t let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.W69Qe8p5.dpuf

great job with the first week. I'm sure things will only get better from here!

Yep, it has been pointed out to me :)  I may cut it yet, but I haven't cut it yet because I actually started drinking it to boost my health last summer and found it so satisfying that I've stayed with it.  I struggled with electrolyte imbalance all last summer, working outdoors in SE Texas.  Drank gallons of water, supplemented with electrolyte tabs, was still having issues, so added in a coconut water with lunch and sometimes another in mid afternoon.  I still drink plenty of water, at least a bottle an hour at work, more if I'm working outside.  Large glass of water when I get up and when I go to bed.  I'm well watered, lol.

Archived